Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Avast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like the subject says, has anyone ever used a die cutter, like the Silhouette HD or Cricut 2, to make game parts? It seems as if it could make some very nice round edged playing card type shapes, as well as more intricate shapes in card stock. You would then have to glue the shapes onto chip board and cut them out with a sharp knife, I suppose.

I may give this a run, trying to integrate it with some of the card fabrication techniques that I've seen here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I tried the cricut expressions or whatever. It almost worked nicely, but it would *always* cut one corner of the square counters wrong. It looked worse than what I do by hand. Ultimately, I had to give up on it. I even went to the Cricut forums to see if my unit was just defective, but some nice folks there tried to replicate my setup and had the same results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Fisher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this as well. I've been thinking about doing it, but would love to hear if anyone else has had any luck with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
On decent thickness stock, it does not cut properly.

It's made for thin cardstock at best. Nothing I would use in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Neeley

Shreveport
Louisiana
msg tools
Avast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife had a Cricut and we weren't able to get it to work at all. I'll give it a run with the Silhouette then and let you know how it goes. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knodel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried because of the cost, but when I was considering them, I had selected the black cat cougar as the one most likely to do the job.

http://thatsscrapinc.com/blackcatcutters.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostofmerlin wrote:
a die cutter, like the Silhouette HD or Cricut 2

(For what it's worth, I've used a die cutter to make game pieces, and it works fine on thick card... but strictly speaking, neither of those machines are die cutters, they're more like plotters with blades instead of pens. A die cutter uses a fixed tool which is pressed into the shaped material to push through it, and generally is capable of exerting much more pressure than this kind of device.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
strictly speaking, neither of those machines are die cutters

(In Crocdile Dundee's voice): That's not a die cutter, THIS is a die cutter!

http://www.accucutcraft.com/cutting-machines/grandemark-mach...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting to hear most people having negative reactions to Cricut. I have considered getting one for making game pieces. I've been doing my research and even watched some "how to" videos on youtube. There are a few on how to cut chip board with a Cricut also.

I may still give it a go in the future.

Edit: Also there seems to be some less expensive viable options with some of the manual machines like Cuttlebug and Big Shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Vandertol
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you, now remain in my love. You did not choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit, fruit that will last. -- Jesus Christ
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing a lot of research on this lately and it seems like the best current option is the Zing! cutter which will do light chipboard and supports PNC (print and cut). The Zing is about $400. The next best option is a Silhouette SD, available used for about $200.

PNC is important because you can print your art on label sheets, adhere them to cardstock, and then have it all cut out in one swipe, with no aligning necessary because the laser eye finds the registration marks and cuts the borders correctly.

Apparently the downside to all these products is that the cardstock needs to stick to an underlying mat. If the pieces are too small, they don't stick well and one or more edges or corners will be rough. If the mat is too sticky, it can leave a residue.

LostRoom wrote:
Hmm, interesting to hear most people having negative reactions to Cricut. I have considered getting one for making game pieces. I've been doing my research and even watched some "how to" videos on youtube. There are a few on how to cut chip board with a Cricut also.

I may still give it a go in the future.

Edit: Also there seems to be some less expensive viable options with some of the manual machines like Cuttlebug and Big Shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium weight chipboard tackled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.