Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim Vanherle
Belgium
Sint-Gillis-Dendermonde
O-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a first read-through of the rules (5.0), I have a few remarks to make.

Page 1, bottom alinea: gangster cards
As Jose already mentioned here, the initial placement of the gangster cards should be worded differently. Something along the lines of "Shuffle gangster cards, place eight on the active positions on the board, another three on the soci positions, and with the remainder form a deck from which to draw during play"

Page 2, third alinea: calendar markers
I had to read this piece of text at least three times before I knew where to place what. If I had known what the calendar markers would be used for, it would have made more sense and the instructions would've been more clear. So maybe explain in a short sentence what the calendar markers do and how the track is used, before placement instructions.

This might be a good idea for everything else in the game too: explain all the board elements and components first, then go through initial setup, and then rules. If your board elements and components are well enough designed, the player should already have a solid idea of some key elements of the game, even before you start explaining the rules.

Also, I'm not sure if 'calendar' would be a good symbol for turn progression. It seems so abstract and out-of-theme. Although I admit, I'm having a hard time coming up with a different suggestion...

Page 2, header: Phase A "Street" Phase
The rulebook says "Street" Phase, but the board says "Commission" (the low-ink version even says "???"). I guess you haven't decided on the name yet?

Page 3, last alinea: example of payment for influence placement
Really a minor remark, but it might be less confusing if the sentence "[...] must pay $4 to the bank [...]" would be replaced with "[...] must pay at least $4 to the bank [...]"

Page 4, last sentence of Phase A: [...] the phase token is moved [...]
Keep consistency in naming. In the initial setup section, they're called "calendar" tokens (although see remark above), where here they've suddenly become "phase" tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Vanherle
Belgium
Sint-Gillis-Dendermonde
O-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more:

Page 4, last sentence of second alinea: [...] the player with the start token retains it.
when you say "start token", do you mean the Capo token?

Page 4, last sentence: [...] in the order of the last card played.
I don't understand this sentence. What is "the order of the last card played"? Is it last played card first and winding back (like Magic The Gathering's instants), or first card played gets resolved first and last card last (like Munchkin)? I would assume the former, because this is more a tactical game than a reflex game, but the sentence just doesn't make sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sektor wrote:
A couple more:

Page 4, last sentence of second alinea: [...] the player with the start token retains it.
when you say "start token", do you mean the Capo token?

I had the same question about start token in my initial read throughs. Also on the other points, I echo Wilm's questions and concerns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Foote
United States
Mt. Sterling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In phase D. "the feds", it refers to the gangsters being face down after "making a move". Then it says to flip them face up after this Phase. Didn't know we were supposed to flip them during the "making a move" phase. Can you clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyguy1983 wrote:
In phase D. "the feds", it refers to the gangsters being face down after "making a move". Then it says to flip them face up after this Phase. Didn't know we were supposed to flip them during the "making a move" phase. Can you clarify?

I don't think the flipping is supposed to be in the rules any longer. Ajax013 asked that same question HERE

In short, Ajax recorded that it is not in the rules anymore, so I imagine the next update to the rules will have it removed. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Green
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to have my first playtest of this with my friends on Monday and wanted to check a couple of rules.

Phase A "Street" Phase : Note In turn one ONLY, each player will place three influence in total. They will do this one at a time, in turn order.

Does this mean that the first player puts all 3 of their influence down then the next player puts 3 down etc. Or does it mean the first player put one influence down then each player puts one down etc, then you have a 2nd round each putting one down etc and a final round each player puts one influence down. I thought it would be better to have 3 rounds putting down influence so people can react to each others moves. Please clarify this rule.

In Phase B rules "Special abilities marked with an * are always in effect and are used in addition to whatever other choice the player makes."

I cant find any abilities on the board or cards that have a *. Can you confirm if I am playing with the wrong versions of cards or board. I have the version 5.0 set from 27/02.

Look forward to Mondays game and will add any ideas or comments after playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morrinuk wrote:
Going to have my first playtest of this with my friends on Monday and wanted to check a couple of rules.

Phase A "Street" Phase : Note In turn one ONLY, each player will place three influence in total. They will do this one at a time, in turn order.

Does this mean that the first player puts all 3 of their influence down then the next player puts 3 down etc. Or does it mean the first player put one influence down then each player puts one down etc, then you have a 2nd round each putting one down etc and a final round each player puts one influence down. I thought it would be better to have 3 rounds putting down influence so people can react to each others moves. Please clarify this rule.

I think it is place them down 1 at a time in turn order until you have placed 3 total. That is how I've been playing it, like placing armies in Risk at the beginning of the game. That's the way I interpreted it.

Quote:
In Phase B rules "Special abilities marked with an * are always in effect and are used in addition to whatever other choice the player makes."

I cant find any abilities on the board or cards that have a *. Can you confirm if I am playing with the wrong versions of cards or board. I have the version 5.0 set from 27/02.

Look forward to Mondays game and will add any ideas or comments after playing.

I looked through the cards and couldn't find anything as well, I bet it's a remnant left over from a previous edition. However I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember cards with an * in the 4 games we've played. It seems like the * it's reffering to would be on a gangster. hmmm

Make sure to download the latest set of cards and board, since it has changed from the initial 27 Feb edition and the cards are updated. The rules have stayed pretty much the same, since then I believe.

Hope this helps. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Green
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply thats how I am going to play the rules just thought it would be good for the guys to make it clear when doing the rulebook. The whole * abilities thing I think may have been changed now to play at any time which I have found on a few cards. First impressions it looks like a good game will post after playing with my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The * refers, I believe, to the 2nd Guy's ability. It has a star (drawn as a 5-point star as opposed to the asterisk). It can be used in addition to doing another action. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.