Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: What is needed to play Overlord games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the chance to buy an extra Memoir´44 base game (I have one copy already), and I am interested to do this to play Overlord games. I just wonder if I need anything else to play Overlord games? I have noticed there is an Overlord expansion out there, but that is an option if you don't already have two base games, right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
I have the chance to buy an extra Memoir´44 base game (I have one copy already), and I am interested to do this to play Overlord games. I just wonder if I need anything else to play Overlord games? I have noticed there is an Overlord expansion out there, but that is an option if you don't already have two base games, right?

You don't need anything else to play overlord unless you are playing overlord with the expansions, in which case you need a 2nd copy of that expansion. You will need a copy of the rules which are free to download (and the original rules were only ever a download, not something you bought).

The Operation: Overlord Expansion was designed to let you play with a single copy of the game. They gave you a bunch of cardboard counters to use instead of the 2nd set of figures. But you still needed another board or to buy the paper maps.

The big advantage to still getting the expansion is that there is a "revised" deck. Without the expansion, you just shuffle together two decks and realize some cards play differently. With the official deck, it is already two decks combined and all the cards that change have their function printed on them.

So my recommendation is get the 2nd game but still consider the expansion.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Hellstrand
Sweden
Molnlycke
Harryda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggest you buy both another base game and the overlord expansion.
You then get cards that makes more sence when playing overlord scenarios.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the Op Overlord expansion just for the bespoke decks.

BTW the game says to combine the 2 decks, BUT DON'T DO IT !!

This is the most important house rule for any of my games (I don't usually like house rules but this one is very important). If you combine the decks, one side could draw all the killer cards and uneccessarily unbalance the game. Give each side an identical deck... there is no logical reason not to.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo John
Denmark
flag msg tools
philmcd wrote:
I would recommend the Op Overlord expansion just for the bespoke decks.

BTW the game says to combine the 2 decks, BUT DON'T DO IT !!

This is the most important house rule for any of my games (I don't usually like house rules but this one is very important). If you combine the decks, one side could draw all the killer cards and uneccessarily unbalance the game. Give each side an identical deck... there is no logical reason not to.


Not unless you want a more unpredictable game
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
banjojohn wrote:
philmcd wrote:
I would recommend the Op Overlord expansion just for the bespoke decks.

BTW the game says to combine the 2 decks, BUT DON'T DO IT !!

This is the most important house rule for any of my games (I don't usually like house rules but this one is very important). If you combine the decks, one side could draw all the killer cards and uneccessarily unbalance the game. Give each side an identical deck... there is no logical reason not to.


Not unless you want a more unpredictable game


In which case I would recommend Settlers of Catan to you instead of M44
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the Overlord Expansion isn't necessary, you might consider eventually getting it - provided you like Overlord. I have found from my own personal experience that those who try but don't like Overlord are often, more than not, incorrectly applying the rules. It is a bit different than standard M44, albeit still simple enough to play.

The Expansion is, IMHO, too expensive to buy right now. However, it certainly is beneficial to have in that it has information on the cards that is a helpful guide in playing the game properly. The cardboard pieces are also beneficial if you don't have enough units for that particular scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I would recommend the Op Overlord expansion just for the bespoke decks.

BTW the game says to combine the 2 decks, BUT DON'T DO IT !!

This is the most important house rule for any of my games (I don't usually like house rules but this one is very important). If you combine the decks, one side could draw all the killer cards and uneccessarily unbalance the game. Give each side an identical deck... there is no logical reason not to.

Don't want to argue house rules but I would recommend the OP play the right way first and then make his own decision.

In support of shuffling the two decks together:

1) the designer prefers it that way or he wouldn't have made it a rule, which is good enough for me. But further....

2) The argument that only one person draws good cards is just as prevalent in keeping the decks separate. There is just as much chance that one player has all his "good" cards on top of his deck while the other has all his on the bottom.

3) This would be further magnified if one person draws TFH and shuffles his deck to recycle the good cards, while the other one doesn't (unless you make another houserule that any TFH shuffles both decks).

4) It breaks up the inherent design of the C&C system that If I am drawing more left flank cards, then the deck should be more saturated with right flank cards and that is what my opponent is drawing - making us battle over the same real estate. Two decks act independently and knock out this subtlety of the design.

So I just want the "right" way defended and show there is logic to doing it as designed. But of course, play how you want.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to argue house rules either. As I said, I am always reluctant to use house rules unless the game really needs it. However, after EXTENSIVE playing, this is one that is firm now. My group won't play without it now.

One thing I do agree with though is that playing a game as written first is a good idea.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I don't want to argue house rules either. As I said, I am always reluctant to use house rules unless the game really needs it. However, after EXTENSIVE playing, this is one that is firm now. My group won't play without it now.

One thing I do agree with though is that playing a game as written first is a good idea.

Good. I didn't want to continue either. Just thought the other side should be presented to help him make an informed decision.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
philmcd wrote:
I don't want to argue house rules either. As I said, I am always reluctant to use house rules unless the game really needs it. However, after EXTENSIVE playing, this is one that is firm now. My group won't play without it now.

One thing I do agree with though is that playing a game as written first is a good idea.

Good. I didn't want to continue either. Just thought the other side should be presented to help him make an informed decision.


Well, I do appreciate this discussion and all others that have been mentioned above. Many thanks everyone!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

4) It breaks up the inherent design of the C&C system that If I am drawing more left flank cards, then the deck should be more saturated with right flank cards and that is what my opponent is drawing - making us battle over the same real estate. Two decks act independently and knock out this subtlety of the design.


Wow, this is a really clever-but-subtle design. I'd never noticed that before. Thanks for pointing it out!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
I have the chance to buy an extra Memoir´44 base game (I have one copy already), and I am interested to do this to play Overlord games. I just wonder if I need anything else to play Overlord games?

Yes, your next step is to get in a car and drive down to Södertälje and I'll set up the game for you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Bolger wrote:
I have the chance to buy an extra Memoir´44 base game (I have one copy already), and I am interested to do this to play Overlord games. I just wonder if I need anything else to play Overlord games?

Yes, your next step is to get in a car and drive down to Södertälje and I'll set up the game for you.


Hehe. Thanks for the offer Yoki, I'll keep it in mind. Always enjoyed Memoir'44 and as I am always interested in more games for 6 players and above, this sounds like a good one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.