United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 182nd TGIF Poll
Are there games from your early days as a gamer (or even from your childhood) that you have nostalgic feelings towards, and therefore rate higher than they might actually deserve?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Absolutely
28.7% 88
Probably
35.5% 109
Maybe
16.3% 50
Doubtful
14.3% 44
No Way
5.2% 16
Voters 307
Have you ever tracked down a game that you remembered fondly from childhood, and discovered that it wasn't as good as you remembered?
Several times
14.1% 43
Once or twice
52.6% 161
Never
33.0% 101
I didn't play games as a child, so this would be impossible
0.3% 1
Voters 306
Are there games that your family/friends remember fondly (and therefore request) that you hate playing?
Several
16.3% 50
One or two
44.4% 136
Nope
37.9% 116
I don't game with my family or friends
1.3% 4
Voters 306
This poll is now closed.   309 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Mar 8, 2012 6:00 am

4. What game(s) would you like to play again from your early gamer days or childhood, but you don't currently own them?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play Mouse Trap with the family because my wife will play it.

On gaming nights sometimes we pull out Masterpiece and Careers.

And of course there are quite a few card games I'll play with my youngest daughter because she wants to.

They are all time well spent with my family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
4) Hare & Tortoise, I used to love that game.

I bought The Dickens Game, The Mysteries of Peking and HeroQuest not so long ago, all of which were childhood favourites, but haven't played them yet. Perhaps they will disappoint a little, but the nostalgia is still pretty strong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to find a copy of King Oil and give it another go. Just haven't wanted to drop the cash on a game I fondly remember from childhood, but am sure won't hold up to modern gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Are there games from your early days as a gamer (or even from your childhood) that you have nostalgic feelings towards, and therefore rate higher than they might actually deserve?
Any discussion is encouraged.

"Rate higher than they actually deserve" isn't really being fair to the games. If you really enjoyed a game as a child then the nostalgia you have towards the game should impact your rating. Just because a game doesn't appeal to your arguably more cultured adult self doesn't make it a lesser game. It only means your tastes have changed. I bet if you took a game from your childhood, approached with the same enthusiasm you used to, and played it with like-minded children today that they would enjoy it just as much as you used to. You could argue that the imagination and wonderment of childhood is putting more into the game than the game is actually giving out, but isn't that the whole point of (thematic) games? When I play Arkham Horror or Shadows Over Camelot I let my imagination fill in the gaps that the mechanics don't cover. I do the same thing when I bring out The Game of Life or Monopoly.

I think a better question would be, "When you play a game with nostalgia value from your childhood are you able to put your experience and prejudices aside and recapture the enjoyment you used to find in the game?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
4. What game(s) would you like to play again from your early gamer days or childhood, but you don't currently own them?

The one I'm currently looking for is Intercept: The Electronic Search and Destroy Game. (Well, OK, I've found many copies, but I can't quite convince myself to buy them, as in the back of my mind I know it won't be that enjoyable.) But I've previously tracked down most of the games I enjoyed in my youth - and many of them have been in my collection for many years (Mr. President, Civilization, Pit, Black Box, and so on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one game from childhood I have been looking for: The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game

I remember playing this all the time when the animated movie came out. I have not been able to find it. Hopefully it is as good a game as I recall. But even if it is not... it will be worth finding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

I know the game's not any good, but I'd love to play ABC Monday Night Football again.
It's just a complicated rock/paper/scissors game, but it's shaped like a football stadium!

I have good memories of a lot of mindless games from growing up. I doubt I could play Payday today, but it served it was fun as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Absolutely. For instance: I'm sure Rage isn't the be-all end-all of trick-taking games, but since it was the first non-traditional card game I learned I still love it.

2 - It might have happened more than once, but the one I really remember was Shadowlord!, which I tracked down on eBay because of fond memories. When I got it I read through the rules and realized this wasn't nearly the game I remembered it being. It just didn't line up with my current gaming tastes at all.

3 - There are a couple. Of course I don't complain when they request them, because they tolerate all my games. However I secretly despise Bargain Hunter and Yahtzee.

4 - I'm still trying to track down a copy in good condition of Trust Me and Go For It!. I remember both fondly from my childhood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

1. My favourite children's games in particular, and some favourite family games, are pretty much all rated higher than they would be if they were new to me now. The fun I had with them as a child is considered when I rate them, even if nowadays there are better games to play on a regular basis.

2. Several times. Although, as my parents haven't got rid of many of my childhood games, I haven't had to do it too often. Just bought Civilization as I remember enjoying it 2 player with my sister occasionally, even if we did never finish it, but still haven't convinced my husband to try it.

3. Definitely not. There are very few games that I hate playing, and if I was willing to play it with my family as a child and it was generally liked enough for them to keep it, there's no reason that my opinion of it would have changed that dramatically now. My family favourites are still family favourites, even if they're not my favourites to play with gamers.

4. I remember a game called Contraband that my cousins had that I really enjoyed, but have never seen at a reasonable price to get my own copy (plus I am aware might not be so much fun now that I'm older). Other than that I think most of my childhood favourites have either followed me around, or are still at my parents' house waiting for me to borrow or play whenever I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

I'm probably a rare breed in that my parents and my sister hate(d) playing games. Growing up we had games in the house but they sat in the basement gathering dust. I grew up disliking games taking on my parent's disdain for gaming and especially my father's almost visceral reaction to them. He didn't want to lose and "look stupid". He can't see it but that remains a very strong touch-point for him.

I held the same feelings towards games until some time in the 2000 when I shed the emotional/psychological baggage I unknowingly had invested in "not looking stupid" and started just enjoying the social experience win OR lose. I saw the fun in the journey.

Long story short, I have no fond memories of childhood games given that I only [relatively] recently grew up

Edit:
But if I had to pick something it would be my cousin's vibrating football game where you lined up all the players, put a little wad of cotton (he probably lost the ball) in the quarterback's raised arm and then turned on the vibrator under the field and watched them dance around randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
1 - Absolutely. For instance: I'm sure Rage isn't the be-all end-all of trick-taking games, but since it was the first non-traditional card game I learned I still love it...

So then it deserves a high rating [from you]? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
3. Rook: The original game is just bad. The bidding is boring, and the trick taking is simplistic. This is why everyone has house rules for the base game. If everyone has house rules, the original is probably no good. But I still have to play it sometimes.

4. I would still like a copy of Big Boggle since I played it a lot growing up. It is much better than the original version. No one would play it with me if I got it because I played all the time with my mother, and the games now would not be competitive.

I would alos like a copy of Clue Master Detective, which is now hard to find. It is better than the original because of the more expasinve board and options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest for sure. Two of my friends had it and even some expansions. We had some serious fun with it. I'm a little scared about picking up a copy now though and I haven't even looked at the ebay prices yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Careers

I liked going for the Space flight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Which Witch?... but I don't really remember actually playing it so much as playing with the parts. We had a lot of fun throwing the metal ball down the chimney and seeing where it went (and trying to get it to do what we wanted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4: King Oil is high luck, but the components are very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4) Jaws. I'll bet it's not a good game at all, but I do have fond memories of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Blott wrote:
1 - Absolutely. For instance: I'm sure Rage isn't the be-all end-all of trick-taking games, but since it was the first non-traditional card game I learned I still love it...

So then it deserves a high rating [from you]? devil

Ok, so "deserve" might have been the wrong wording. The point of the question is to find out if there are games where you recognize the fact that nostalgia has influenced a rating in a positive way. If I played Rage for the first time today, it wouldn't be my highest rated trick-taking game. However, because of the circumstances under which I first played it, I now have a more positive opinion of it. True that means it deserves a better rating from me, but that doesn't mean it is a better game.

And now that I've typed all this I notice the smiley at the end of your post, and I'm starting to suspect you knew my intentions with the question and you were just picking on my wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest is the only game (that I would want to play again) from my youth that I don't own, but that's because the copies I gave to my friends went to Goodwill. angry

The other game from my youth that I remember that I don't have is Win, Lose or Draw which seemed fun when I was a kid, but I doubt I would like it now. I've passed on a few copies in thrift stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireball Island
I remember it being very luck dependent and having lots of cheap, plastic parts, but it must have been fun because we played it all the time.

Also, Axis & Allies
My most played game in high school and college. Sadly, I have neither the time nor the opponents at this point in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#4:
Masterpiece
Waterworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I picked "absolutely", but then I took a look at my actual ratings and really didn't see as much of a bump as I thought - most of the games I loved growing up I have rated between 4 and 6 which is fairly accurate to where I'd put them if they were new now. The few I have rated higher than that, like Fireball Island, The Omega Virus, and Thunder Road are all still great games on their own and don't need a nostalgia bump.

2 It has happened a few times, but it was almost always with the caveat that I knew going in that it wasn't going to be as great as remembered, so none them were unduly hurt by nostalgia-driven disappointment.

I've actually had the opposite happen too - one in particular was Vanished! which I remembered being kind of blah, but when I dug up my old copy a couple years ago and played it again I was pleasantly surprised. It's basically just Memory with a few twists, but those twists are so evil that they make it a really good game.

3 I can't think of any, since most of the games that other people I know remember fondly were the same ones I remembered.

4 My older brother used to have Dark Tower, but somewhere along the line that copy disappeared - he doesn't have it, I don't have it, and no one else knows where it went either. I'd love to try playing the game again sometime, although I'm not willing to spend upwards of $100 just get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd quite like to play Mah Jong again. I remember a friend introduced me to it, then when I mentioned it to my parents it turned out they had a set, which they'd tried to play but hadn't understood. I wonder what happened to that set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of games from those days of yore that I'd like to play which I don't own. But there are several I do own which I'd like to play again.

Trivial Pursuit is very seldom played, but I enjoy it whenever we play.

I've owned Landslide for a good 25 years, repurchasing it long after our original went to a rummage sale, and still haven't played it. I'd like to do that. Maybe that can be a task for this weekend.

I also own Bash which I had as a 5-year-old and picked up again some 30 years later, but still haven't played.

I'm sure there are dozens of others (Milles Borne comes to mind) that I'd like to get to the table again. Problem is, they're almost always a bust. We broke out Water Works awhile back and it didn't fly so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.