Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A search of the Rules forum didn't seem to turn up a clear answer to this question.

Rule 21.6 states ". . . However, once the Reformation has spread (12 spaces converted to Protestant religious influence; spaces in unrest are counted) . . .[the SL is formed]."

So does this mean that if there is a space that has already been converted to Protestant religious influence that is also in unrest, it still counts towards the 12 spaces?

Or is it a broader category of spaces being in unrest (e.g., Protestant home spaces that are not yet converted to Prot relig) that will also count towards the 12? This would of course allow the Pope or others to use Peasants War to trigger the SL earlier than the Prot is ready for, or make using Carlstadt dicier for the Prot.

You could argue that either interpretation makes sense historically, but I would argue that the first interpretation is better, meaning it is only spaces converted to Protestantism that are counted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gromitspaw wrote:
I would argue that the first interpretation is better, meaning it is only spaces converted to Protestantism that are counted.
This. All spaces that have been converted to Protestantism are counted regardless of whether they are or are not in unrest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
gromitspaw wrote:
A search of the Rules forum didn't seem to turn up a clear answer to this question.

Rule 21.6 states ". . . However, once the Reformation has spread (12 spaces converted to Protestant religious influence; spaces in unrest are counted) . . .[the SL is formed]."

So does this mean that if there is a space that has already been converted to Protestant religious influence that is also in unrest, it still counts towards the 12 spaces?

Or is it a broader category of spaces being in unrest (e.g., Protestant home spaces that are not yet converted to Prot relig) that will also count towards the 12? This would of course allow the Pope or others to use Peasants War to trigger the SL earlier than the Prot is ready for, or make using Carlstadt dicier for the Prot.

You could argue that either interpretation makes sense historically, but I would argue that the first interpretation is better, meaning it is only spaces converted to Protestantism that are counted.

A space that is currently Protestant religion, but under unrest does count towards the 12. This is mentioned, because the Prot does not get VPs for Prot spaces under unrest, but they do count toward the S. League forming.

Check out the card text, which spells it out pretty simply:

(13) 2 CP: Schmalkaldic League

If 12 or more spaces are currently under Protestant religious influence or this is the Winter Phase of Turn 4, the Protestant defense league is formed as specified in 21.6. Protestant spaces in unrest count toward the total of 12. Remove from deck once defense league is formed.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
United States
Owings Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick and clear answers! It's just that every time I see "Protestant" I wonder whether it means "Protestant Home space", "Protestant Religious space" or "Protestant Political control". The rules are pretty clear overall with lots of examples, but the game has enough layers to it that I still find myself looking things up despite several plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.