Phil Trash
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey!

I got the CoDP (revised) but we were not sure how to handle the following:

The card says:
PENTAGRAM OF BLOOD
Movement: Spend X Stamina and discard this card to remove one monster with X toughness from Arkham and return it to the monster cup.

Does the item also work on spawn monsters like the dunwich horror monster? There is no cup it could return to.

Thanks for helping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would believe this would work on spawn monsters. I understand the literal wording on the card conflicts with that but I think the intention would not have been to exclude spawn monsters. The intent was probably that the monster would be gone but the investigator wouldn't be allowed to collect the trophy, which is where the reference to returning it to the cup came from. It would have been awkward to word the card to account for spawn monster, without making it sound like the monster should be returned to the box and not the cup, or having a large amount of text on the tiny card.

I am a very literal person but I have had to learn to not be too literal with Arkham Horror or the game starts coming apart at the seams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Return to the cup" effects don't work on Spawns. If it said "defeat" then it would work.

Pentagram is a no-go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Tibs, he has a lot more knowledge than I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
"Return to the cup" effects don't work on Spawns. If it said "defeat" then it would work.

Pentagram is a no-go.

Yes.

Also: they cannot be "returned TO the cup" if they weren't drawn FROM it before. So the Pentagram ignores Spawn Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Trash
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers!

Sadly that makes the pentagram a slightly worse version of plague of locusts, which only costs two sanity and blasts any monster off the board (along with clue tokens in the neighborhood).

I always thought exhibit items were cool! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.