Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game twice and like it very much, but the one element I have a hard time relating to is the combat system. Especially the fact that you must draw your full battle hand size and are not allowed to save units for a more important combat later if you would want to. Correct me if I'm wrong but since the rules don't elaborate on this I'm assuming this is the correct interpretation.

As it is a player may attack one or several of your armies just to kill off three of you units before attacking your capital, bringing your standing forces below six. I find this quite counter-intuitive as you would likely leave you strongest forces to defend your capital if an attack is expected. I also find it tactically unbalanced (in favour of military players) but I know my familiarity with the game is still too limited to make that judgement.

So I'm asking the experts out there who have played more than I. Is this an important aspect of the combat system that players simply should be prepared for? Or would it be a reasonable house-rule to say that in combat you MAY draw units up to your battle hand size (and you may leave as many units as you wish for later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alandor wrote:
As it is a player may attack one or several of your armies just to kill off three of you units before attacking your capital, bringing your standing forces below six.

That's a popular, viable way to play the military game. As the defender you need to know how to avoid these situations. Remember the turn order and make sure that your flags are simply not there when an aggressor wants to kill them. To capture someone's capital, you need a) a reasonable Combat Bonus (+6-+8), b) some units upgrades, and c) utilize small skirmishes to whittle your opponent's hand.

When I go military, I want my opponent to be in trouble. I want him to feel pressure and spend city actions on units instead of on buildings, wonders, culture and resources. Remove that option, and he can just bunker up, continue working on his plan, while all I get is the occasional loot.

Alandor wrote:
So I'm asking the experts out there who have played more than I. Is this an important aspect of the combat system that players simply should be prepared for? Or would it be a reasonable house-rule to say that in combat you MAY draw units up to your battle hand size (and you may leave as many units as you wish for later).

It's a crucial part of the combat system; and you need to be prepared. This is a military game, every military skirmish is important. If you cannot win a battle, keep your flags out of harm's way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have given you more options in the expansion, but sacrificing your unit to the city for a 1 time bonus of +2 (also takes the flag off the board so you can't be picked apart).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Alandor wrote:
Or would it be a reasonable house-rule to say that in combat you MAY draw units up to your battle hand size (and you may leave as many units as you wish for later).

No. A reasonable thing to do is learn how to play the game well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:

Easy now, tiger. It was a reasonable question, to which some very good answers have been provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

Easy now, tiger. It was a reasonable question, to which some very good answers have been provided.

thumbsup

We all cannot be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

thumbsup

Proper playing for board games is a basic skill in our modern world. If you don't have it, you would not be able to survive for long. Sad, but true goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

thumbsup

Proper playing for board games is a basic skill in our modern world. If you don't have it, you would not be able to survive for long. Sad, but true goo

To be fair any non-gamer can stumble through life, but without a basic understanding of the rules and strategy he shouldn't be surprised at how low his victory point total is at the end.

Changed the language to offend less people .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

I was only replying to the "house-rule" part. That's why I've quoted it. No offense. People like to think about "house-rule" as soon as they have some hard times in a game. I addressed this directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
I was only replying to the "house-rule" part. That's why I've quoted it. No offense. People like to think about "house-rule" as soon as they have some hard times in a game. I addressed this directly.

No worries. I just see quite a few snarky responses to well-intentioned questions on BGG, and if it feels like trolling, I speak up. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
No worries. I just see quite a few snarky responses to well-intentioned questions on BGG, and if it feels like trolling, I speak up. Thanks for the clarification.

We do not have enough flame wars on the Civ forums. More trolls are needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lindén
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your replies. I wasn't 100% sure I had the rules correctly but now I know.

PauloSantoro wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

I see your point but to be fair many games have their rules revised after release - for Civ I can think of Ankor Wat and Writing off the top of my head. So it's not always simply a question of learning to play the game well and this community is a great place to help figure out whether or not that is the case for a particular issue.

It's good to know that everyone seems to agree that this is a well-balanced aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alandor wrote:
I see your point but to be fair many games have their rules revised after release - for Civ I can think of Ankor Wat and Writing off the top of my head. So it's not always simply a question of learning to play the game well and this community is a great place to help figure out whether or not that is the case for a particular issue.

It's good to know that everyone seems to agree that this is a well-balanced aspect of the game.

Read a couple of reviews, many players hate that aspect of the game. I was very confused by it in my first two games. Although Civilization is full of imbalanced mechanics, the combat mechanic is relatively good- once you get your bearings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Civ combat system. Innovative, quick, room for strategy, possibility to evaluate chances... and DICELESS!

I really like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
I like Civ combat system. Innovative, quick, room for strategy, possibility to evaluate chances... and DICELESS!

I really like it.

Now if only the combat bonuses on Great General and Military Industrial were slightly lower...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
rdonoso wrote:

I really like it.

Now if only the combat bonuses on Great General and Military Industrial were slightly lower...

I've seen wars won by the player with the lowest bonus, and it is an awesome thing.

One player attacked the ther, the defending player had, like, +8, first battle, defender wins, attacks again, second battle, defender wins...

but,

third battle was a capital attack, the attacking player was totally behind on the bonus, but the attacking player had a plan, he took all the units from the defender hands on the battles he LOST, so, in the final and most important battle, he won!

WHile the other player invest some coins on military complex and was developing culture, he was building units and researching upgrades!

I really like the combat system on this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.