Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. Just got the game, and it was exactly what I was looking for. I broke it out with friends last night, and it was a hit.

Still, we walked away from it with a few questions. Thought I'd run them by everyone else.

1. This has popped up in one of the threads already, but I thought I'd bring it up again. If a stone block falls on you while you're on one of the first four squares (right by the entrance/exit) than can you jump out when you dodge it? It robs of the endgame of some suspense because you know that if you can just land on one of those first four spaces, not even a block can stop you.

After looking back through the book, if you parse the words this "jump out" isn't allowed because it says you have to jump into a "square" when a block falls, and that little area you start in is a "space."

Thematically it makes sense, because those spaces are a staircase, and you couldn't very well throw yourself UP a staircase, could you?

2. The rules say that treasure chests don't count towards the variety bonus at the end of the game. yet I noticed the treasure chest cards do feature the color coded god symbol in the corners. What's up with that? If they don't count, why do they have the symbol on them?

3. Can you use multiple crobars on trying to get the same idol combination? In other words, can you use two crowbars to stand in for TWO missing numbers in the sequence?

What's more, could you use that one character's lockpick ablity in conjunction with a crowbar, if a rolled sequence was missing two nubmers (use the crowbar for one missing number, and the ability for the second)?

4. I'm a little amazed at how the book doesn't even cover the exact meaning of getting out of the pyramid. It just says the game's over if everyone gets out.

If you leave the pyramid, I'm assuming you're out of the game and you "bank" your earned treasures and wait for everyone else (who isn't trapped) to get out.

Does this mean that players who escape with their treasures get skipped for the rest of the game? The ankh just passes them and they don't ever roll the dice for everyone else's actions or drop a block?

And here's an intresting one...could you change your mind and ever jump back in if you get antsy and want to get a few more treasures? I mean, it would be that player's risk?

Thanks for all the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
1. We play that you can jump out of the pyramid if a block falls on one of the front spaces...it makes the most sense...you are by the exit and you run out as the rubble falls. You still get a rubble card and if that takes you over 12 then you have to discard a treasure to accomodate it.
2. I think that's a typo. Neclaces don't count for the variety bonus, but I see no reason why treasure chests wouldn't...and that's how we play it.
3. You cannot use multiple crowbars...because you can't use one at all unless you are only missing ONE number.
4. If you leave the pyramid...you still roll dice for everyone elses movement and drop a block. If you were to run back in...you don't get to leave any of your treasures behind...they all go with you and if you die you lose it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply and the help...athough the "official rule" nazi in me wants to start goosestepping around when i see the term "that's how we play it." ha ha. Forgive me. I'm sure you know people like that.

1. I can see that. Still, I noted that the last little bit of the game (getting out) just felt a bit less dramatic knowing that those last four spaces are essentially "safe" from a block falling (other than having to draw a block card, of course). Looks like I'm going to have to "play it my way". ha ha. Goes to show we all have to bend a rule here and there.

2. You mean a typo in the book? Yeah, i think you're right. Still, that's a pretty big one...it flat out says "treasure chests" don't count. I agree with you though. There's no reason for them not to. They do have the symbol on them.

3. This one...hmm...this is where the english major in me kicks in. The use of the term "only" in the book (under the sections for the crowbar and for lockpick) can make your head spin. You could take it to mean that one crowbar card can only help you with ONE missed number in the sequence, or you could take it to mean that you can only use one crowbar on each TOTAL attempt to get an idol.

This opens up a whole can of worms, actually. Does that mean that if I need a 1, 2, 3, and 4, and I roll and 1 and 2, then I cant use a crowbar to preemtivly get a 3 with the hope that I roll a 4 with another action? I have to wait until my coding sequence is missing only ONE number.

I just took the wording, and the use of the word ONLY, in the book to just be a general "each crowbar can only replace one number" comment.

4. Where does it say this in the book? Granted, it doesen't say ANYTHING about what to do when you exit, so you've got a point.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No "free exit by block" on the last 4 squares. Rules indicate "space", as you mentioned.
2. Chest don't count. We play by the rules and so we suppose that the symbol on the chest cards is a typo.
3. You can use several crowbars and/or combine with Lockpicking. Nothing in the rules prevents this, as far as I know.
EDIT : I think the wording is a tad clearer in the french rules than in the english ones.
4. When you're out, you're out. No dice rolls, etc. This one's not explicit in the rules, though. I guess you can come back (with your treasures etc.), but I never seen a situation when someone wanted to come back.

However, I think you could play otherwise for all the above points, with no or minimal impact on the game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm prone to agreeing with you on 1 and 4 for sure. Although as much as I usually detest houserules of any kind, I'm leaning to playing this where the whole game is over once the entrance is sealed. Otherwise I've noted it slows down into a bunch of scrouging around in the cobra pit for a few necklaces. It really slows the game to a crawl. Regardless, yeah, the rules say those are "spaces" and not "squares" so yeah...

Thing is...Ive sort of gotten used to playing it now where you have to use only ONE crowabar or lock pick, and even then only if it's the LAST number you need. it makes getting idols WAY more difficult, and I suppose it works thematically (the crowbar is the last touch that springs the idol out of place), but yeah...the way the rules are worded in the english edition aren't every clear. Depending on how you intrepret things like (and I'm paraphrasing here) "you can only replace one die" COULD mean TOTAL (as in the entire attempt with all rerolls) or it could mean just "one crowbar card = One die from the sequence." Same goes for lockpick.

as for 4..I like that one because it slows the game down at that shage having an escaped character roll for his WLL, because by that point, everyone's usually rushing for the door.

As for 3..that's just sloppy proofreading. FF games are supposed to be top-of-the-line and yet simple things like that don't get caught. Annoying.

Great game though, I just wished these last little bits had been tightened.

An "official" ruling from the designer or company would be nice. I wonder if there's a FAQ or something somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also posted this question (about the exit spaces) on the official forum. Here's where it gets tricky: in the documentation they interchangeably use the word "squares" and "spaces". Read the paragraphs in section 5 on page 12 and you will notice both terms being used.

EDIT: I received a response from Fantasy Flight regarding this question:
"The stairs are considered a space. When a stone block falls in a space where you character is, the stairs are a valid space to jump to, at which point your character will have successfully escaped the pyramid. Therefore, your strategy of drawing rubble cards until something forces you to move is a valid option. Watch out for cobras!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gaudé
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The french rules clearly say that Crowbar or Lock Pick can be used if only one number is missing and all the other numbers must be obtained normally (normally = with dice, and not with Crowbar). In consequence, it means indeed that missing number is the last to match the combination.
=> 1 Crowbar OR Lock picking ability for each Alcove opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Yib-Yab wrote:

2. The rules say that treasure chests don't count towards the variety bonus at the end of the game. yet I noticed the treasure chest cards do feature the color coded god symbol in the corners. What's up with that? If they don't count, why do they have the symbol on them?

5 years later, I know..

Anyway, could the color coded god symbol on the treasure chest cards just be so you know what deck they go into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.