Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't really specify how to run the auction, and perhaps that's deliberate. I'd like to hear from other people whether they reveal all the tiles to be auctioned before the auction, or just one at a time as they're auctioned. We played this latter method in our first game, but I'm thinking that it's probably better to reveal all the tiles at the start of the auction, so that the landlords realize everything that's available that round, and thus can make more sensible buying decisions in the auction. Knowing whether any 2X properties are coming up and which ones could influence which other items you decide to bid on. It's also arguably more thematic, since in a real life auction you usually know what is going to be up for auction in advance. What do others think about this?

The designer has also posted an untested variant concerning the auction phase, where it's done simultaneously and under timed conditions. While I can see that this is a way to involve the merchants during this phase, and has some good aspects about it, we didn't find that the merchants felt `left out' during the auction phase, and I wonder if the variant might just make the auction phase feel too much like the negotiation phase - we liked the fact that it has its own distinct feel.

So, how do you run the auction, and what do you think is the best way to do it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran them one at a time, with the "shout it out" style of auction. It seemed to work fine, but next time we will try revealing them all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Barrera
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played the game first time yesterday and we went for a free-form auction which worked really well.

One merchant played the 'auctioneer', no need for order and people pay a lot of attention this way which makes for a quick auction for merchants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Chlebicki
Poland
Warsaw
Mazovia
flag msg tools
publisher
melanzowniatv.znadplanszy.pl
badge
melanzowniatv.znadplanszy.pl
mbmbmbmbmb
From rules of new version "Panic on Wallstreet":
RULES wrote:
The auctioneer then piles them up (face down) in front of him or her and begins with the first auction, for the first company (property) tile, without revealing the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran my first game recently. As Baartoszz pointed out, the reprint specifies that stocks are kept face down and are auctioned off one at a time.

I ran the auctions as a traditional "shout out your bid" auction. By mid-game I was pretty quick to start saying, "Going once, going twice...". This kept things moving quickly.

I feel that the auction phase was quick and had everyone involved. The slowest part of the game was investor payouts. This sped up once we came up with a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Evans
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the system for investor payouts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
fdevans wrote:
What was the system for investor payouts?

Hmm...good question. It's been a long time since I got this game to the table. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.