Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asl_vasl [+] asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross posting Josh Walles' post from GameSquad:

The event formerly known as the CyberASL Open; now we're calling it the eASLeague. Pretty soon, it will be a cool symbol that you can make an electric guitar out of...maybe one that looks kind of like an ankh...have to check on that...I'm thinking something in purple...

Anyway, with all of the interest expressed in our "...resurrected" thread, we have decided that we will ACTUALLY have...A LEAGUE!!!...muah haaah haa!!! Excuse me, sorry...wrong voice.

So we are announcing, the eASLeague (or e-mail ASL League). As the name implies, this will be a League format as opposed to the Tournament one we thought about originally. We are in the final stages of developing the League rules document and it should be done next week, but I can hit the highlights here:

Registration is open to all and starts immediately. We didn't want to delay registration simply because the rules doc wasn't done and we wanted to start in Q2. Registration is to be an e-mail directed to both of the League Directors (LD's):

Primary LD: Josh Walles (countzeroasl at gmail dot com) LD: Spencer Armstrong (ssa415 at gmail dot com)

We'll comfirm the e-mail back to you, and you're in. Prior to the start of a round, we'll send you an e-mail with your next pairing and contact information of your opponent. Play will commence on April 1, 2012. For the first year, we will likely have a single grouping. In later years, that may restructure and add something for ASLSK, but we'll worry about that down the line.

League rounds will be 3 months in duration with initial pairings determined by the LD's. That means for the year 2012, there will be 3 rounds. Scenario selection, play, and winner determination will be left almost entirely to the players as outlined in the rules doc. Normal years will consist of 4 rounds. Play should be completed prior to 3 days before the end of the round to give us time to do all administrative stuff required prior to the next round. For the most part, however, we don't want to interfere. It's like the famous signature line here on the forum "Shut up and play."

Obviously the default format is PBEM with the Honor System governing things (some clarifications and structure are in the rules doc, but things are largely left up to the players per the "we are all adults" comments in the other thread), but if needed F2F or Live VASL can be used to finish a game at the end of a round.

There will be a prize pool at the end of the year (also outlined in the rules doc). We already have some things lined up thanks to Chris Doary of BattleSchool fame and Scott and Crystal of The Gamer's Armory generously sponsoring us and are working on a few more surprises to be announced later.

The League is designed to be very low-key. What we really want is to get more people playing more ASL in a format that meets their needs. We want to give them an excuse to meet new opponents and get a wider breadth of experience. Most of all, we want everyone to have a good time playing ASL.

So while you're waiting for the rest of the details, give us an e-mail shout and register for the hottest ASL event since that one that was run by that guy a while back..you know? Come out and participate. We'd love to have you. In the meantime, roll low and may you pass all your PMC's.

Josh Walles eASLeague Director

And my two cents:

I'll just add my two bits to what Josh said:

Emphasis on "low-key." We're going to handle pairings, standings and...well, only the things we have to. It's a pretty short list. We're not going to tell you fire table, scenario or that you can't play WBW scenarios (though we will mock you if you do). We're not going to do arbitration. If you can't figure it out, you both get a loss (Bret, respect). We're all grown ups, we're going to treat you as such, so it's on you to act like it. The rules document will have some suggestions and guidelines and reserve us a few powers that we hope not to need to use. But the more we thought about it, the more we thought "less is more."

Hopefully, we'll get a lot of guys playing ASL with new opponents and having fun. That's the goal.

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does PBEM ASL work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
How does PBEM ASL work?

Surprisingly well.

All kidding aside, it's actually a reasonable way to play ASL if you don't have blocks of time (or just like a little daily "hit"). There's an excellent guide that was published in Hit the Beach! from the SoCal ASL club. I can never find it online, but I have it in pdf. Message me your email address and I'll send it to you.

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how it works in this league, but I play a lot of ASL by PBEM using an honor system. You start a logfile each Player Turn. Then register your PrepFire doing all rolls. Then you move your units (all of them, or some to wait for reaction). Save and send.

The other player receives the logfile, opens it and starts logging. He views all the registered file (while logging) and, during MPh can D1F, rolling all dice. You're not supposed to see all the MPh. If you shoot, you stop the logging after rolling MC. Or, alternatively, the first player could tell you to just go to the end of the file, as movements do not interfere with each other.

The MPh phase can require some mails up and down.

Then solve DPh and the rest of the turn. RtPh can require sending files or just mails requesting rout directions or voluntary breaks. Advance and CC.

Cleanse, rinse, repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
I don't know how it works in this league, but I play a lot of ASL by PBEM using an honor system. You start a logfile each Player Turn. Then register your PrepFire doing all rolls. Then you move your units (all of them, or some to wait for reaction). Save and send.

The other player receives the logfile, opens it and starts logging. He views all the registered file (while logging) and, during MPh can D1F, rolling all dice. You're not supposed to see all the MPh. If you shoot, you stop the logging after rolling MC. Or, alternatively, the first player could tell you to just go to the end of the file, as movements do not interfere with each other.

The MPh phase can require some mails up and down.

Then solve DPh and the rest of the turn. RtPh can require sending files or just mails requesting rout directions or voluntary breaks. Advance and CC.

Cleanse, rinse, repeat.

Nothing different in this league. You explained the basics pretty well and noted the key thing: the honor system is of the essence.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, would either of you like to provide a complete logfile of one of your games to be an example so I could see how the MPh goes etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Hmm, would either of you like to provide a complete logfile of one of your games to be an example so I could see how the MPh goes etc?

Sure. I'll send you a series of logfiles (not a whole game, probably) along with the guide.

S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spencer Armstrong wrote:
Sure. I'll send you a series of logfiles (not a whole game, probably) along with the guide.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
Spencer Armstrong wrote:

Thanks!

NP. Just sent the email.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLNoob wrote:
I really like playing PBEM under VASL. It's a fabulous way to stay mentally engaged in ASL. And the leisurely pace allows you to study up on the rules as you go.

That being said I'd never play in a tournament format. My experience is that people get really weird and hyper-competitive in a tournament setting. And when the desire to win starts to break down personal "honor checks" there are just too many ways to game the system.

Sorry you feel that way. We're intentionally running this as a League, not a Tournament for several reasons, that included. Also, prizes will be very small and widely distributed to reduce that incentive.

And, if you need to cheat to win, what I mostly feel for you is pity.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Spencer Armstrong wrote:
There's an excellent guide that was published in Hit the Beach! from the SoCal ASL club. I can never find it online, but I have it in pdf.

I believe that the article you are referring to is the one linked to in the following post:

Introduction to PBEM
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/433796/introduction-to-p...

("The Joys of VASL PBEM" by Matt Romey)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using this same system without knowing it! It's a good article, full of common sense.

My logfile names are always like ASL62-T3B-4.vlog, which means scenario 62, turn 3, second player turn, fourth logfile. If the player turn ended here, next logfile would be ASL62-T4A-1.

The last logfile of each Player Turn contains the whole Player Turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
Spencer Armstrong wrote:
There's an excellent guide that was published in Hit the Beach! from the SoCal ASL club. I can never find it online, but I have it in pdf.

I believe that the article you are referring to is the one linked to in the following post:

Introduction to PBEM
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/433796/introduction-to-p...

("The Joys of VASL PBEM" by Matt Romey)

You are correct, thanks for the link!

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding an update, another GS cross-post:

After a long wait, the Rules Doc is here. A couple of points:

1.) The rules doc IS longer than we really wanted, however, the length reserves some powers for the LD's that we really never want to use but might need to. If you were to do an ASLSK version of this document and boil it down to the bare bones, it would be significantly shorter and look MUCH more "Libertarian" than it does. Bottom Line - the rules that actually affect 95% of registered and future players, really aren't that numerous.
2.) We are looking for some constructive feedback here, emphasis on the "constructive". Browse the document, find any holes we left and help us plug them. We really want this format to stand the test of time.

The file can be viewed here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pv7OZPCyb-MYLWPXbKkmZuZa...

We hope you will enjoy this offering. We've worked hard on preparing this tournament and are proud of where we are so far.

Have fun and roll low.

Josh Walles
eASLeague Director

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and another cross-post update

A few dates for you all to look at:

Initial pairings will be e-mailed to the individual players no later than March 31. The 2012 eASLeague Schedule will be as follows:

ROUND 1:

Start Date: April 1
Results Reporting Deadline: June 27
End Date: June 30

ROUND 2:

Start Date: July 1
Results Reporting Deadline: September 27
End Date: September 30

ROUND 3:

Start Date: October 1
Results Reporting Deadline: December 28
End Date: December 31

Registration for the 2013 eASLeague will begin on December 1 and end on December 28. Initial pairings for the 2013 eASLeague will be e-mailed to the individual players no later than December 31. Play for Round 1 of the 2013 eASLeague will begin January 1.

In case you wanted to plan this stuff...

Josh Walles
eASLeague Director

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Pittiglio
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any possibility of a Starter Kit League in the future for newbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Armstrong
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerp wrote:

Anything's possible, but the history of dedicated Starter Kit leagues (VASLeague and Cyber ASL Open) has been pretty dubious(they've had very high dropout rates, etc.)so I'm pretty leery of it.

S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could play PBEM style whichever version my opponent wants to play, Starter Kit or full ASL. (Although, if he's new to the game, it wouldn't be an equal match but a learning experience nevertheless).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerp wrote:

We have an SK league running here on BGG: SK PBEM League. You can check with the fellow who is running it (Scoobysnacks) to see when and how interested folks can join up. There's a good group playing in it now, at all levels. It's a nice way to learn the SK rules and start gaming some ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.