Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a brief phase where we really played the heck out of the iOS version of this game, and completely mastered every aspect of the game, enjoying the fun challenges of working on the various achievements. Some of the individual role achievements were a great challenge, and of course winning the legendary games and winning without ever handing off cards, and winning without ever using any of the special role powers were pretty epic games.

I have greatly revised my views of the roles having deeply analyzed all the player counts, synergies of different role combinations, and advantages in different difficulties.

For example, I am now convinced (despite initially thinking the diver was generally very weak), that he is second only to the pilot in a legendary game. The easiest way to win on legendary is to play two player with a pilot and a diver!

The diver's value increases as the game progresses, but he's pretty awesome in mid and late games every time.

Here's my strategy question to all of you:

The hardest achievement in the game on iOS is called "Hydrophobic" and requires that you win with less than five tiles actually sunk by the end of the game (that may not sound hard, but give it a few tries!) You cannot have five tiles sink (though you can have any number flooded and "sinking").

So, if you only want to lose four or less tiles in a game, what is the best player count and role selection to maximize your statistical chances of pulling it off?

(Obviously, there is a significant element of luck with that achievement, as you need to draw treasure cards is very favorable ways, but what starting choices will give you the best odds?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess no one wanted to answer my question, but I'll share my thoughts for the curious.

I believe the hydrophobic achievement is easiest with two players. The first time I achieved it was with the pilot and the explorer characters, and I have also done it with the pilot and messenger.

So blue/green or blue/white are probably the very best two roles in the game for sinking the least tiles, but blue/black is the best combo for legendary difficulty because almost everything will be sunk or sinking, regardless of how well you do, and being able to move all around the board in any given turn (to claim treasures, get to places where you can maximize shoring up tiles, get to each other to hand over treasure cards, or get to Fools' Landing) is absolutely invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.