Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original poster hasn't updated the (Ended?) status so I wanted to make sure anyone interested didn't miss this deal.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/772971/ended-crokinole-f...

http://maydaygames.com/mahogany-crokinole-board.html $112.50

http://maydaygames.com/beech-crokinole-board.html $108.75

Discount Codes

Enter your coupon code if you have one.
boardme

Credit for the original post Tor Sverre Lund

EDIT PRICE FLIP CORRECTED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but a minor correction: you have the prices flipped.

I was wondering why the beech one is less than mahogany, and it turns out it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"-Improved quality control and manufacturing process so there will be very little damage/scuff marks on the boards out of the box."

This line doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Are they saying that some damage is acceptable? I know there have been issues in the past, and I would think NO damage is what they should be aiming for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy from them, to be honest.

http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/03/mayday-games-crok...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SixteenBlue wrote:

If you click on either of the links in the top post, they make it clear that these are a new board, made in a new factory, to address the problems they had with their last set of boards.

Edit: On second thought, you can find the story reposted in this thread, along with pages of comments...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/630824/mayday-games-crok...

I'll think this over before submitting. Even if these boards are an improvement, I'm not sure if Mayday is a company I really want to give money to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macgruff wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

If you click on either of the links in the top post, they make it clear that these are a new board, made in a new factory, to address the problems they had with their last set of boards.

Those links include this line:

"-Improved quality control and manufacturing process so there will be very little damage/scuff marks on the boards out of the box."

That suggest that Mayday finds some damage to be acceptable, and given their previous issues with Crokinole, I'd think they should be aiming for NO damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 wrote:

That suggest that Mayday finds some damage to be acceptable, and given their previous issues with Crokinole, I'd think they should be aiming for NO damage.

In their defense, these boards cost half of what it'd cost on most other sites, and shipping is free, so it may be a case of "you get what you pay for".

Just because they allow for some minor scuffs to the board doesn't mean there will be any. I read it as more of a disclaimer, due to the nature of shipping these things halfway around the world, and not being able to control how the box is treated by all the people that will handle it on its way from China to your house.

To some, a minor scuff that doesn't affect the gameplay, if one is even present, is worth the savings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one who received one of the original boards and I was mostly unhappy with the expectation of a veneer of wood and of the specs promised. When received it was a veneer wood looking “sticker”. Mayday gave a full 1 year warranty if anyone wanted to return their boards. The performance was of the board was fine, there was a very light scuff mark that didn’t affect performance. I was actually considering upgrading to one of these boards, except I unfortunately do not have the funds to upgrade. So even with the prior experience I would still do business with them.

These board per the description are better than the 1st production of boards. I also asked if they were a sticker like the first one's and I was told no it's real wood veneer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baker
United States
Sophia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly realize what you were hoping for.
badge
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: - 1 Pet 3:15
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped on this deal.

I've been waiting to buy a crokinole set simply b/c they're so expensive, so I jumped at this one w/o knowing any issues of there previous boards.

Only time will tell if i regret this decision.

on a side note: They've vastly improved there standard sleeves. I ordered some and they no longer stick, among a few other improvements.

I'm hoping they do the same for these boards as they did their sleeves. They do have a reputation to fix after all -- i can't imagine they'd let these be the 2nd batch of boards with so much controversy over the previous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macgruff wrote:
Thanks, but a minor correction: you have the prices flipped.

I was wondering why the beech one is less than mahogany, and it turns out it's not.

Currently the beech board is $145 and the mahogany is $150.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dean
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Amish Tech Support
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone considering this deal should read completely the previous threads about the quality and very suspicious handling of warranty on the earlier boards. The issues were about the poor construction, NOT shipping damage. Mayday's claim is intentionally misleading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
macgruff wrote:
Even if these boards are an improvement, I'm not sure if Mayday is a company I really want to give money to.

And THAT is the crux of the matter, really.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Yes. The shady business operations are my concern, not the quality of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
SixteenBlue wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:
macgruff wrote:
Even if these boards are an improvement, I'm not sure if Mayday is a company I really want to give money to.

Yes. The shady business operations are my concern, not the quality of the board.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that a retailer would knowingly cross ship defective boards. The new customers would just complain that the new boards were defective as well and have to get new ones shipped, which would mean the retailer is doubling his shipping costs. It just doesn't make any sense to me that it was anything but a mistake / misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macgruff wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:

Edit: On second thought, you can find the story reposted in this thread, along with pages of comments...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/630824/mayday-games-crok...

I'll think this over before submitting. Even if these boards are an improvement, I'm not sure if Mayday is a company I really want to give money to.

Many thanks to you both for posting these links. After reading, I'll pass. Too bad, because it would be a good price. Guess I'll go back to my plan of building my own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdean1 wrote:
Anyone considering this deal should read completely the previous threads about the quality and very suspicious handling of warranty on the earlier boards. The issues were about the poor construction, NOT shipping damage. Mayday's claim is intentionally misleading.

These new boards are made in a different factory, and I doubt they'll have the same construction issues as the last time, given the drama that caused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baker
United States
Sophia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly realize what you were hoping for.
badge
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: - 1 Pet 3:15
mbmbmbmbmb
for those who haven't seen it, here's a REVIEW on the new board(s) in question via Dice Tower.

He does discuss some of the controversy that's been discussed here.

Edit: Also, Mayday themselves POSTED about the new board on the review

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
hezkezl wrote:
SixteenBlue wrote:
LordHellfury wrote:
macgruff wrote:

Personally, I have a hard time believing that a retailer would knowingly cross ship defective boards. The new customers would just complain that the new boards were defective as well and have to get new ones shipped, which would mean the retailer is doubling his shipping costs. It just doesn't make any sense to me that it was anything but a mistake / misunderstanding.

Have a hard time believing all you want. There is enough bonafide evidence that shows Mayday (or at least specifically Seth) has spurious business practices.

This site is rife with evidence.

But become a valued customer. Somebody needs to be a sucker to keep them in business.

Mayday, just stick to card sleeves. M'kay?

Hard time believing, I once purchased a pricey aquarium auto fish feeder, thing was manufactured a little wrong, had issues, I returned it, got the same one back as a replacement, different box. How do I know? Had same problem and the same small scratch I put in the battery compartment. Interesting, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
I was one who received one of the original boards and I was mostly unhappy with the expectation of a veneer of wood and of the specs promised. When received it was a veneer wood looking “sticker”. Mayday gave a full 1 year warranty if anyone wanted to return their boards. The performance was of the board was fine, there was a very light scuff mark that didn’t affect performance. I was actually considering upgrading to one of these boards, except I unfortunately do not have the funds to upgrade. So even with the prior experience I would still do business with them.

These board per the description are better than the 1st production of boards. I also asked if they were a sticker like the first one's and I was told no it's real wood veneer

I bought one of the first batch, too. I was going to return it, but found someone who wanted it (and inspected it first-hand). The surface was a sticker, and it was showing some wear. The lines were also palpable and affected the glide of the disk.

I bought a fantastic Hilinski board for around $200 (including shipping) and have been very pleased. The quality difference was incredible.

I am glad to hear Mayday has improved their manufacture/shipping, but I am still pretty skeptical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not being an apologist here, I have no experience with the crokinole boards, but I have first hand experience with their other products: Eaten by Zombies, Toc Toc Woodman, and card sleeves, and they have all been excellent quality, so im just speaking from my own experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogrix wrote:
for those who haven't seen it, here's a REVIEW on the new board(s) in question via Dice Tower.

He does discuss some of the controversy that's been discussed here.

Edit: Also, Mayday themselves POSTED about the new board on the review

Thoughts?

Were those premium boards made by the same factory doing this current batch?

To answer the question you posted on that review page, the pegs seem to have been fixed. If you watch the video posted on the Mayday page, you'll see the score counter/disc box now has 4 columns of holes drilled into it, and the pegs fit much better than they seem to on the old 2 column box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baker
United States
Sophia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Were those premium boards made by the same factory doing this current batch?

they said they changed manufacturers for the new batch of boards that are up for sale now.

and thanks for answering the question about the pegs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to weigh in on this discussion. I don't know if any of you are aware that Mayday has been GIVING away their boards to charitable organizations each month for well over a year now. Mayday pays the shipping, the organization receives the board totally free.

The reason I bring this up is, a company GIVING away and paying to ship their product can't be too bad.

Personally I bought one of their beach boards a couple years ago. I would never have been able to afford a board other than one at Mayday's prices.
My Church was sent a mahogany board for the their youth group several months ago. They would not have been able to afford to buy one.
Both of these boards have had MANY hours of play, with people who had never heard of the game before, and are now big fans.
That, in my opinion is a great thing for the game of Crokinole.

For dedicated fans of Crokinole I can see why they might be less than excited about the veneer and overall quality compared to the more expensive boards. But I think it is a great thing to have this lower priced alternative for people who are not avid Crokinole fans.

I believe Mayday is doing more to increase the popularity of the game than anyone else out there by providing a cheaper alternative. Go back and re-read that last sentence if you love the game of Crokinole...

Avid Chess players would scoff at a $10 chess board, but without those cheap chess boards out there how many people would be playing Chess?

If you are an avid Crokinole player and want a high quality board then save your money up and buy one, but please don't try to run out the low cost alternative that will bring more players to the game.

Mayday is introducing a great deal of people to the game of Crokinole and that is a great thing in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Marlton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving away things for free does not make you a 'good' company or your business practices 'good' for your actual consumers. It's a marketing tactic that you seem to have bought right into.

You give away some for free to get increased exposure and hopefully people exposed will purchase your own.

Assuming you're getting 20+ 'views' from 1 free board - which could be a defect ridden board a normal customer would return - if even 2-3 turn into sales you're most likely making a profit over and above the loss on that board.

To your cheap crokinole board point - Carrom game boards w/Crokinole on them have been around for decades and are available for $20-30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Z
United States
New York
flag msg tools
netizen wrote:

Avid Chess players would scoff at a $10 chess board, but without those cheap chess boards out there how many people would be playing Chess?

While I am not a Crokinole player, I am experienced with the game enough to know that the quality of the board 100% effects your ability to play the game, where as a chess set consists of a board and a bunch of markers used to track position. You could make a chess set out of scraps of a paper and be able to play the exact same game that you would be if the most expensive of chess sets.

Hell - skilled players might not even need the board at all.

So that is hardly a fair comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Cypherr26 wrote:
netizen wrote:

While I am not a Crokinole player, I am experienced with the game enough to know that the quality of the board 100% effects your ability to play the game, where as a chess set consists of a board and a bunch of markers used to track position. You could make a chess set out of scraps of a paper and be able to play the exact same game that you would be if the most expensive of chess sets.

Hell - skilled players might not even need the board at all.

So that is hardly a fair comparison.

While you can't play on scrapes of paper you can play on pretty much any smooth, hard, flat surface with a coat of wax. Scuffs and dings won't do much to hinder play though bumps and raise areas can if they are big enough. As long as the board is relatively flat whether or not it was waxed properly will effect play more than anything else. A waxed piece of $2-5 pressboard will play nearly as well as a $200-300. At least until it warps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.