Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that if a unit on a forced march cannot use all of its extra MP (because of terrain or enemy units), it is eliminated instead.

Let's say a unit has 1 extra MP from a 2-point forced march roll (based on a roll of "4" - it gets 1 MP instead of the desired 2 MP), and it has to cross a class river to get to the adjacent destination hex. Can the unit take an alternate route (i.e. moving along the river in an attempt to move around the headwaters upstream) to use that 1 MP, or does the unit have to take the most direct route (and therefore would be eliminated in this example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules state that the player attempting the forced march has to explicitly name the route that the forced march will take. So I don't think there is an allowance in the rules for altering the course of the march after the die result is known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The moving player must state exactly which units are attempting Forced Marches, how many MP are being attempted, the exact route to be taken and the final destination hex for all Forced Marches before any are attempted in that Movement Phase."

The text in bold was added in the 3rd Edition rules as a clarification to the 2nd Edition rule. The exact route does not have to be the most direct one.

There's this one also (bold is a clarification):
"All MP gained must be expended in movement along the announced route. If the units attempting the Forced March cannot expend all the additional MP due to terrain restrictions, presence of enemy units, or AE, they are eliminated after the March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - my version of the rules did not have these clarifications. Makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.