Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I know Giles only through his work on The Dice Tower and On Board Games, but every time I've heard him, I think "That guy's crazy." But after that, I think, "He sounds like a fascinating person, and I'd like to know more about him." Now's our chance.

Plus, I should note, I think of Giles' voice whenever I need to do an Aussie character in a book, so I plan on reading all of his responses out loud for practice.

caradoc wrote:
On a seemingly inauspicious day, mid-July, in 1981 the rotating Earth caused the dawn rays, thrown out by our nearest star, to glimmer in the window pane of a Melbourne hospital. I had arrived. At the time unknowing and uncaring of the world of gaming that would await my later discovery, I busied myself instead with the concerns of the moment; napping, feeding, making noise and soiling myself. Three of those things I still enjoy today, and the other I may rediscover in my dotage.

My geek awakening began in primary school - playing Warhammer Fantasy Battles at lunch times with a teacher and some other of my friends. I played miniatures games from late primary school through to late high school: Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, DBA, DBM, Full Thrust, Kryomek and others.

Later in high school I moved into roleplaying. I still remember laying on the floor in my room and opening the MERP 2nd edition rules, reading the example at the beginning of the book about the exploration of a tower and a battle with orcs. My mind spun at the worlds and worlds of possibilities and stories that awaited me. I particularly loved MERP, and WEG StarWars; but we played many rules sets. Later I really started writing my own rules, and I think I have about 6 sets of RPG rules sitting on my hard drive at various stages of completion - the shortest being a simple bunch of ideas and a map and the longest a manuscript of some 200 pages. Heady times indeed.

As I met my future wife, and settled into my university course, as friends moved away and life’s gentle rhythms changed, I drifted away from role playing. One of my good friends introduced me to a game called Settlers of Catan (ah yes, that initial opiate, that sweet dizzying experience that has pulled so many of us into the depraved hungering for more cardboard). I loved the game and immediately went out and bought Starfarers of Catan - my first game and still an old favourite of mine - particularly enjoyed with the liberal use of Daft Punk to provide the theme music for the experience. Many more games were soon to follow.

As I started work as a primary teacher I wanted to bring my interest in games into my school. Over the last 7 odd years I’ve worked at three schools, run games clubs, professional development for teachers on using games, organised school games days and generally had a blast mixing my hobby with my work (not too much by the way - in case any parents are reading).

Over the years I have loved being a part of BGG, from the game forums to the guilds, from RSP to the zaniness of chit chat it’s a wonderful and multifaceted website. We are all lucky to have such an online tavern to park our horses at of an evening (well - and most of the day as well for many of us).

I’ve also been lucky enough to be involved with two great podcasts - The Dice Tower and On Board Games - and interact with some really wonderful people as a result (the inestimable Eric being one of course). I love the variety of The Dice Tower and the conversation of On Board Games - and I can heartily recommend both to anyone who loves the hobby. It’s been a blast being involved with them, and though I don’t get to record as much as I used to - I hope to at least get a little bit for both out now and then.

I’ve done some other bits and pieces here and there - I wrote the Z-Man Games newsletter, I’ve run the Rio Grande Games booths at the Australian Games Expo, and I’ve written articles for the Games for Educators website. Nowadays I confine myself to too infrequently contributing to The Dice Tower and On Board Games, and I’ve recently started a blog: www.castlebymoonlight.blogspot.com You can also catch me on twitter with reasonable regularity - @caradocp

I still love the hobby, love playing games with my good friends (some of whom can be found here - most notably the excellent ‘greatsage’), and especially with my wonderful wife - who is as in love with games as I am (though doesn’t like to admit it) - and is generous enough to soundly thump me at Battlelore, who puts up with me trying to set-up games like RuneWars when it’s obviously too late in the evening to play and who patiently listens while I excitedly tell her that the card game we’re about to play is all about the geological processes of erosion, uplifting and subduction.

We have a boy, a bustling force of nature that has shaken me to my core and affirmed and awoken me in many wonderful ways. We also have another on the way, which is most certainly exciting (some games are best with four of course ).

My other areas of interest are varied; I like history: pre-history, ancient, and dark age mainly. I love dinosaurs (does anyone really grow out of this? I don’t think so!). I love astronomy and take my telescope out when I can to gaze at the moon, Jupiter and the rings of Saturn in quiet marvel. I like reading about science and history, reading fantasy and science fiction (though I don’t read as much as I would like anymore). And I especially love spending time in the company of my family and friends.

A few quick things:

My favourite book is ‘The Lord of the Rings’
I am currently listening to the soundtrack to the movie ‘Hero’
I am wanting to get back to playing more miniatures games
I’ve spent the last seveal evenings setting up a blogsite for my class.

Two truths and a lie:

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie...
I killed a man and was never implicated.
I killed two men and was never implicated.
I killed three men and was never implicated.
      83 answers
Poll created by AmazingIntern

Not really - but it’s darkly amusing to imagine some terrible secret being revealed via a ‘two truths and a lie’ section in an online forum.

The real two truths and a lie:

Poll
The Real Two Truths and a Lie...
I read Lord of the Rings at least twice a year, sometimes back to back.
My ‘bucks party’ was in an old military hanger, and we played games all evening when not climbing on the naval cannons.
I once wrote the manuscript for a short novel about a worm freedom fighter extraordinaire caught in a war with the Bird Reich.
      167 answers
Poll created by AmazingIntern

Man, I really hope the third one is true, because I'd hate to think Giles didn't write a story about the Bird Reich.

Some questions to get you started:

d10-1 How have your gaming tastes changed over the past few years?
d10-2 How do you juggle the demands of fatherhood with the desire to play games?
d10-3 What game do you most look forward to playing with your kids?
d10-4 How did you get involved with Z-Man and Rio Grande?
d10-5 How is producing content/working for a specific game company different than your free-form contributions and reviews? Which do you enjoy more?
d10-6 What are your comedy influences? What makes you laugh?
d10-7 Seriously. You were just kidding with that Magnificent Octopus thing, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
An Excellent choice Eric. Well deserved. thumbsup
Congrats Giles.

-Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, another great choice! Have a great week Giles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice Eric, welcome Giles!

> Please tell us about any frightening encounters with the deadly wildlife in The Lucky Country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Great choice Eric! Giles is a top bloke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice. Congrats Giles. I hope you enjoy your week of fame, fortune and glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk about overdue! This falls into the classification of "What, you mean he wasn't GOTW already?" Well, justice is served.

Question - I note that within your substantial collection of games, there are precious few wargames. What are your thoughts on that particular genre of boardgames?

Have a great week! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Giles, have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice, Eric. I've met Giles in his guise as an RGG demoer at the Australian Games Expo - a great guy, enthusiastic and full of fun and mischief.

Congrats Giles - enjoy your week in the limelight.

Questions:

1. Will you still be demoing for Rio Grande Games now that the AGE has moved to Sydney and become the Toy and Games Expo?

2. Will we ever see you back in Canberra for CanCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Giles.
I've had the privilege of benefiting from your guiding hand at the Rio Grande Games booth at the Australian Games Expo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Giles!

I'm looking forward spending a week with ya, getting to know ya a bit

Hope you'll have a great week as GotW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Giles! Hope you're going to share your new found fame at Bordercon this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a second, Giles... Giles... that name sounds familiar.

Oh no, now you have done it Eric! Now Giles' ego will be even bigger than him (not a difficult thing mind you).

Congratuwelldone Giles! Enjoy the week you mad ferret of a man!

AmazingIntern wrote:
I think "That guy's crazy." But after that, I think, "He sounds like a fascinating person, and I'd like to know more about him."

That is almost true, but think about how crazy you think he is then double it, then think about how fascinating he sounds and then triple it! A great man to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Giles, Congrats. Never met you outside here and the twitterverse. Some day hope to meet you in person and talk schools, science, history and how they all tie to gaming.
Out of people I've never met you are up there in deserving GotW!

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Giles, enjoy your week.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATS! Nice choice - well deserved!

If you'd asked me I would have said that I'm sure Giles had already been GotW, it's such an obvious choice.

A great game explained, a good guy, a wonderful addition to the gaming community in Australia and a decent blogger too. (http://castlebymoonlight.blogspot.com.au/)

And now: the questions -

d10-1 Funniest or biggest games rule mistake?
d10-2 What are your 'gaming goals' for 2012?
d10-3 You'll be happy if you can get your kid(s) to play and enjoy which 3 games with you when they are old enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the opportunity Eric, it's an honour. Though you make a difficult act to follow!

I had typed out responses to nearly all these before accidently hitting 'back' on my keyboard and losing the lot. So I shall give it another go!

AmazingIntern wrote:

Some questions to get you started:

d10-1 How have your gaming tastes changed over the past few years?

My gaming passions have ebbed and flowed like the tides over the years. From minis gaming to RPGs to board games - and more recently than that, from 'Faidutti style' games of action, interaction and hilarity, to more cut-and-dried euro games, to rolling epic board games and so forth.

Right now I am enjoying games that involve the players starting out with a small holding of resources/abilities and then expansding them as the game progresses - games like Rivals of Catan, Agricola, Stone Age, Runewars and the like - they don't take too long (well - Runewars sometimes does), but they have an enjoyable narrative to them I enjoy quite a lot.

Quote:
d10-2 How do you juggle the demands of fatherhood with the desire to play games?

As a father of one (with another on the way) I can't complain too much! My wife (Kylie) and I really enjoy sitting down of an evening and playing a game or two where we can! Of course - playing dinosaurs trumps playing games at this stage - fatherhood is a blast - as you know Eric - I'm just enjoying what comes!

Quote:
d10-3 What game do you most look forward to playing with your kids?

Hmm - Battlelore, when the lad is old enough to enjoy it. Battlegrounds Crossbows and Catapults... Heroquest

In all honesty I'd love to play or participate in any game/activity the kids find interesting and enjoyable! At the moment that means growling like a dinosaur, in a few years or so it might mean playing a game or two - whatever comes will be fantastic!

Quote:
d10-4 How did you get involved with Z-Man and Rio Grande?

The simple answer is I sort of fell into those things. I had something of a relationship with Jay from RGG for a while based around some stuff I was doing to do with games in classrooms and schools. When the Aussie Games Expo started off I asked Jay if he'd be coming out to Australia - he said he couldn't, but that didn't mean RGG couldn't as well.

Jay is an absolutely stand-out guy - the support he's shown for the expo and those of us running the booths there has been fantastic over the years - a top guy and a wonderful company!

As for Z-Man Games - again it comes back to the expo - Zev and I again had chatted via email over a few things for a while, but I met him personally at the expo. At the time I was saying to a few publishers that I knew that they should look at social media or newsletters or whatever to increase their level of communication between themselves and their customers. Zev and I kicked the idea around for a while - I wrote a few samples up and he very kindly supported me in the process (I can't say the newsletter was ever great literature - or the best way to do things - but the idea was to maintain a roll over of content about what was upcoming). Zev is another absolutely great guy - he's been hugely supportive over the years and is generally just a top person. Really nice guy and very genuine.

Quote:
d10-5 How is producing content/working for a specific game company different than your free-form contributions and reviews? Which do you enjoy more?

Basically speaking - I choose what I review here, on my blog or for a podcast. Working for a company is different of course - you don't always choose!

I tried to keep a certain level of 'endorsement' or opinion out of my writing. It's a hard act in some ways - call me biased and so forth but I wouldn't have done those things if I didn't connect with the companies and enjoy the style of games they publish! Balancing that passion for those games with the desire to appear objective is a tough act at times - but I enjoyed writing the Z-Man Games newsletter, and have had a blast working as a booth monkey for RGG!

Quote:
d10-6 What are your comedy influences? What makes you laugh?

James asked me to say him...

On a serious note though I have always enjoyed comedies.

Some of my favourites are:

Spaced
Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
The IT Crowd
Black Adder
Black Books
Father Ted
and so on.

I enjoy zany humour, as well as observational comedy. Slapstick can be amusing when done well and in small doses. It's difficult to nail down what I like specifically - but those above shows are a good indication of my general tastes!

Quote:
d10-7 Seriously. You were just kidding with that Magnificent Octopus thing, right?

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Good choice Eric, welcome Giles!

> Please tell us about any frightening encounters with the deadly wildlife in The Lucky Country.

Ha!

Thanks Eric!

Drop Bears are the obvious malicious beast to be aware of - I've had my fair share drop down and try and nibble an ear before I dispatched them with a swift blow from my trusty Swiss army knife.

Aside from the usual retinue of spiders around the home - from the small and deadly red backs to the larger orb spiders and the giant and vicious hunstmen I haven't had too many regular encounters.

The most frightening happened when I was a kid - running along and jumping off a fallen tree branch to land next to a coiled tiger snake - it moved toward me - my friend was yelling 'run away' - I stood still. He bolted, after what seemed like a long time I slowly moved backwards and away. Tense and frightening.

I wasn't always that calm - another time I was running down a path and ran over a king brown snake - realising what I'd jumped after I had passed it I screamed and ran back towards my parents - over the snake again! Survival of the fittest indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pincao wrote:
An Excellent choice Eric. Well deserved. thumbsup
Congrats Giles.

-Paul

Thanks Paul! I appreciate the kind words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Indeed, another great choice! Have a great week Giles!

Thanks Slaqr! I'm sure the week will be a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesmckane wrote:
Great choice Eric! Giles is a top bloke.

You're too kind James - Arrrggghhh - the photo! I shouldn't have done the mad-scientist look without a lab-coat on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Great choice. Congrats Giles. I hope you enjoy your week of fame, fortune and glory.

Ha! What! No fortune Craig! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jandome Schryvers
Belgium
Bilzen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Giles, have a fantastic week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Brien
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
...but don't tell anyone!
badge
The Secret Bread Empire Über Alles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on ya, mate! And well deserved! It's kind of hard to believe you weren't already a GOTW. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Talk about overdue! This falls into the classification of "What, you mean he wasn't GOTW already?" Well, justice is served.

Question - I note that within your substantial collection of games, there are precious few wargames. What are your thoughts on that particular genre of boardgames?

Have a great week! thumbsup

Thanks Leo - you're too kind!

As to wargames - I have played a few over the years - I suppose it comes down to how you define them to a large extent - the closest I've played to a hex and counter wargame is either Waterloo 20 or the Men of Iron game by Berg. I enjoyed both, but not enough to go and invest in more games of the same style.

On the other hand I've also played and enjoyed the likes of Crusader Rex - now that is a game I enjoy a lot - a whole lot - but the reason why I haven't gone out and bought a bunch like it is because I don't know whether I'd get them to the table.

For the record I'd love to go and buy Sekigahara, Julius Caesar, and others - there's something I really like about block games.

On a different note - I also tend to associate historical wargames with table top games - and I used to play quite a lot of DBA and DBM in my younger days. Buying all the correct troop types, basing them, painting them in appropriate and accurate schemes are all things I have enjoyed as part of the 'historical game experience'.

For these types of games I still have two DBA armies - Alexandrian Macedonian and Medieval Welsh. I've also been wanting to get back into painting minis - and have been looking with lusty eyes at Basic Impetus and Saga. We shall see!

So in summary - I suppose I don't have many wargames because a lot of the hex and counter style aren't so much my type of thing (at least so far as I have played) - and those games and game types I have loved are ones I am worried I won't get to the table - though I still yet might get them. We all know what that's like!

Cheers,

Giles.

Edit: spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.