Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had several requests for the rules, and I apologize, but I'm not quite ready to post them publicly. I will offer a teaser of the first two sections, for any looking for a glimpse deeper into the game.

Introduction

The stars are right, and the Coven is gathered, to perform an unspeakable ritual that will grant its members power eternal, and banish their enemies forever…

…except that some of them are traitors—secretly opposed to this blasphemy, and dedicated to preserving and defending the good in the world.

You think.

Maybe.

Is there some chance that this horrible event could go all wrong?

Apprentice, Necromancer, Telepath, Vampire, Succubus – some are your allies – which of them might actually be your enemies? To find and defeat them, you will have to travel around the Circle, gather secret information, Hex other Players, and use Essence, Sorcery, Candles, and Strands to score Balance and Power.

Remember, though, that there's another problem: it isn't enough to simply tip the scales between Good and Evil.

Someone has to rule your surviving allies.

And that someone should be you.

Overview

The pursuit of two types of victory points—Power and Balance—is the goal in Coven. At the end of the game, the player with the most Power will be declared the winner... the trouble is, the players are also divided secretly onto Good and Evil teams, and if you aren’t on the Side that scores more Balance, your Power counts for nothing at the end of the game.

To get Power and Balance, players will take turns Moving their miniatures clockwise around the board from symbol to symbol, performing Actions represented by those symbols. Those Actions let players get secret information, influence board Elements, draw Sorcery cards, Hex each other, or collect Essence. Essence may be used to pay for Sorcery cards, place Strands across the board for movement and points, or remove Hexes that have been placed on them.

To consistently win at Coven, a player should be able to deduce the allegiances of at least some of the other players, and to convince either her allies to focus on collecting Balance, or her opponents to focus on collecting Power. Several cards and characters allow players to switch Sides during play, however, so adaptability remains important.

When the Sorcery cards or the Strands run out, the game is over—the Side with the least Balance is eliminated, and the surviving Player with the most Power wins.

edited multiple times for formatting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds quite interesting so far - how deep will the game finally be?
Will it be a more light, medium or complex game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call it a medium game, but I'm not sure whether I'm using the same terminology as everybody else might be...

In terms of hidden-allegiance games, it's more complex than Shadow Hunters, but less complex than Battlestar Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
I would call it a medium game, but I'm not sure whether I'm using the same terminology as everybody else might be...

In terms of hidden-allegiance games, it's more complex than Shadow Hunters, but less complex than Battlestar Galactica.

That explains how deep it is pretty well. From what I've seen so far, it sounds like it could be an ingenious concept. Essentially, half the players could be traitors, and with luck and skill, you can even change sides, but the more you concentrate on making your side stronger, the weaker you personally will be. At least that's the gist of what I'm gathering.

I'm DEFINITELY interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Turco
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
But I'm going to add game designer to the list one of these days...
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting mechanics and an intriguing theme! Can't wait to have more informations about this game! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm sensing the game could be a coin flip. What if the goddesses are darkness and all players are light? Nobody wins? What if one player is darkness and the majority of goddesses are darkness, that player automatically wins? How do players determine the allegiance of the goddesses during the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.