Flash Duel: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play and recovering after dashing strike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game a few times solo and if you dashing strike the bot, it gets to draw an extra card as is explained in the rules.

It retreats when it can't block with the extra drawn card. My questions are about the recovery of the bot: does the bot recover? And if so: during the bots recover turn, does the bot draw a card even if it already has 5 cards (because the rules say that a bot draws a card every turn)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vannueten
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I'm puzzled with this one too.

I've played it so far that when retreating the bot couldn't do anything but recover(draw back up to 5 cards when fewer then 5 cards), but I'm not entirely sure that this is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahless1977 wrote:
To be honest, I'm puzzled with this one too.

I've played it so far that when retreating the bot couldn't do anything but recover(draw back up to 5 cards when fewer then 5 cards), but I'm not entirely sure that this is correct.

I've been playing that if the bot recovers, that he does draw at least one card (because the rules state that the bot draws a card every turn). But that means that the bot can get 6 or more cards in hand, which I think is a huge advantage ( I know: the bot does need the advantage, but so much...). The way you play it, would be the proper way in my opinion. I hope someone can enlighten us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing that if the bot already has 5 cards when he needs to recover, then he doesn't draw another card. I just assumed this was correct play until you pointed out that the Bot draws a card EVERY turn. Now I'm confused!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
I played this game a few times solo and if you dashing strike the bot, it gets to draw an extra card as is explained in the rules.

It retreats when it can't block with the extra drawn card. My questions are about the recovery of the bot: does the bot recover? And if so: during the bots recover turn, does the bot draw a card even if it already has 5 cards (because the rules say that a bot draws a card every turn)?

Hi there.
Yeah, yesterday I finally got a grip on the game. And in order to get used to the basic rule-concepts I played it solo for one turn just half an hour ago.
And your question is exactly the issue I faced as well.

Rule no1 says: On each turn the bot draws an extra card and does one of four things.
Rule no2 says: And if it gets dashing-striked/ attacked and has to retreat. And what then? Does it recover as ruled on page 2? Or does the rule no1 mentioned above apply?

I played with the recovery rule. But that led me to the interesting effect that I really paralyzed the bot with dashing-striking it several times in a row, by that pushing him backwards and leaving him inactive for some time. That drained the duel-cards very quickly, and finally I won three rounds in a row simply by time-out. And I could imagine that the recovery-rule after dashing-strikes should not apply for the bot in order to leave it some chance against the solo-gamer.

A minute ago I sent an email to Sirlin Games about it. Let's see what they will tell us about it ...

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:
I've been playing that if the bot already has 5 cards when he needs to recover, then he doesn't draw another card. I just assumed this was correct play until you pointed out that the Bot draws a card EVERY turn. Now I'm confused!

Hi there.

According to the FAQs on page 8 there is nothing wrong with holding more then 5 cards in your hand, if rules let you hold more cards beyond the 5-card threshold. I think this is applicable to the bot's extra-card-draw as well.

About the retreat of the bot after an attack or dashing strike this is pretty funny, since for blocking/ retreating the dashing strike the bot gets to draw an extra card as well. Therefore he cannot drop below the 5-card limit. But then again there is the question: Does the bot has to recover and draw an extra card on his recovery-turn anyway? Or is the recovery-rule invalid for the bot, and the bot draws his extra card and moves as usual as described on pg 4 of the rules.

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddockKrug wrote:
According to the FAQs on page 8 there is nothing wrong with holding more then 5 cards in your hand, if rules let you hold more cards beyond the 5-card threshold. I think this is applicable to the bot's extra-card-draw as well.

Oh I understand about having more than 5 cards, but ordinarily a human player does not draw when recovering if they already have a full hand (exception: Gwen, etc). You draw up to your normal hand size when recovering. I was playing that the Bot does not draw a card when recovering if he had a "full" hand, but I admit confusion now that it is pointed out to me that the Bot draws a card EVERY turn. So, if he is recovering, he would draw a card, but is unable to fulfill the rest of his "programming" because he is unable to attack. It would be nice to get a clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carnifex218 wrote:

So, if he is recovering, he would draw a card, but is unable to fulfill the rest of his "programming" because he is unable to attack. It would be nice to get a clarification!

That's a good point. When I soloed the game and forced the bot to retreat, I did not give him the extra-draw on his recovery-turn, because the recovery turn is only about refreshing up to the general hand of 5 cards and the general turn of the bot let's him draw an extra card in order to attack, push, dashing-strike, or move - at least as far as I understand the rules.

But sure there is this simple phrase in the rules on pg 4:
Quote:
On each of his turns, the bot draws a card, ...

And as you see, the sentence does not end there, but instead it goes on like this:
Quote:
..., then plays according to these rules, in order:...

That's why I would see it like this:
If the bot is in recovery, he cannot act according to the rules on page 4; therefore he does not draw an extra card in recovery mode. But again: that is only a way to look at it, but probably not even the right way to ... (Yes, a lot potential for confusion ...)

Anyway: I have "good" news. Dan from Sirlin Games has forwarded my questions about bots and recovery to David himself ... So I bet that the issue is in good hands. I keep you updated!

All the best!
Mad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

a minute ago I received an answer by David and Dan about the rules questions discussed in this thread.

First of all:* When a bot retreats after a dashing strike, the recovery rules apply as described on page 2 of the rules book. Which also means: Since the bot used an extra drawn card for the defense, it still holds all his 5 cards in "his hands" and therefore does not refresh his hand after the dashing strike, because ...

Second: During the recovery turn the bot does not draw an extra card.

Best wishes!
Mad

*I put this one upfront, since this was my original question ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting us an answer! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddockKrug wrote:
Hi everyone,

a minute ago I received an answer by David and Dan about the rules questions discussed in this thread.

First of all:* When a bot retreats after a dashing strike, the recovery rules apply as described on page 2 of the rules book. Which also means: Since the bot used an extra drawn card for the defense, it still holds all his 5 cards in "his hands" and therefore does not refresh his hand after the dashing strike, because ...

Second: During the recovery turn the bot does not draw an extra card.

Best wishes!
Mad

*I put this one upfront, since this was my original question ...

Thanks for all the trouble you went through! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.