Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through the walk through and the main rule book I cant find anywhere where the icons referred to a Village, etc are defined. Where do I find those and anything else they crazily decided to leave out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the icons related to the places where you can interact are on the reference cards. I don't believe they're located elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are on the upper-right of the site description cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
I'm pretty sure the icons related to the places where you can interact are on the reference cards. I don't believe they're located elsewhere.

Correct. Remember, the designers intention is that the 'Site Description' cards are not just handy hint reference cards, they are actually part of the game and needed to play.

Of course, once you've played a fair bit, you dont need to look at them as all the info will be in someones head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Eeeville wrote:

Correct. Remember, the designers intention is that the 'Site Description' cards are not just handy hint reference cards, they are actually part of the game and needed to play.

Which is a mistake, IMO. The standard is for rules to be in the rules, and for play aids to be redundant, not to contain additional rules. So it clashes with people's expectations, making the game less accessible unnecessarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
As it happens, I agreed with Tim and spent a good few weeks trying to persuade Vlaada otherwise.

Until he said one thing. If he does an expansion set, that will have new sites in the game, which will have new reference cards. And these will not be in the rule book. So by making the site reference cards stand alone, it means many more can be added.

I'm still not 100% convinced, but I am a lot more so after that explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the way this has been handled by all the other previous game expansions is to just include an expansion rulebook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
As it happens, I agreed with Tim and spent a good few weeks trying to persuade Vlaada otherwise.

Until he said one thing. If he does an expansion set, that will have new sites in the game, which will have new reference cards. And these will not be in the rule book. So by making the site reference cards stand alone, it means many more can be added.

It would make more sense if any (hypothetical) expansion changed existing sites - e.g. added a different power to the Village - so that you would replace the base game site card with the updated version from the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

It would make more sense if any (hypothetical) expansion changed existing sites - e.g. added a different power to the Village - so that you would replace the base game site card with the updated version from the expansion.

and even then you could just have all the information in the expansion rulebook like all other games did before and just replace the game aiding reference cards, too. Sorry, the reasoning completely eludes me, here.

I must say that it still bugs me a bit, how the rules are laid out in this game, because every time I search for something, I often have to look through the rulebook, the walkthrough and maybe the helper cards - good thing I am quite good with memorizing rules (or where to find them)...but even then I slipped a few times with Mage Knight due to how the rules are organized and structured.
I never had a problem like this with Vlaada's other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, since I realised that all the rules for sites are on the site cards, I have not had a problem finding any of the rules, and have not had to look in the walkthrough at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Put a special, short section in the rulebook that says "Sites: Rules for Magical Glades, Crystal Mines, Villages, Keeps, Monster Dens, Mage Towers, Monasteries, Dungeons, Spawning Ground, Tombs, Ruins, Cities, and Any Other Site: Read the associated Site Card for rules on individual Sites." Maybe even have a collection of icons underneath the sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I have to say, since I realised that all the rules for sites are on the site cards, I have not had a problem finding any of the rules, and have not had to look in the walkthrough at all.

+1

However, I do use the back of the Walkthrough rules to check the distribution of enemies at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

+1

However, I do use the back of the Walkthrough rules to check the distribution of enemies at times.

Oh, yes - apart from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the sites (except cities) are fully documented in the Walkthrough Book, in addition to the short notes on them on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.