Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb

151st BS ......... 152nd BS ......... 153rd BS ......... 154th BS

BG...................BB...................GB..................GG

“Gentlemen at ease. Welcome to all the new crews and glad to see some veteran crews too. Well this mission will see us split into two groups. One squadron will join squadrons of the 303rd BG, 379 BG and 384th BG heading to the North Sea in a diversionary faint. The remaining three squadrons will go to… ” Sgt. Murphy Pull the curtain please…”

We are still accepting new planes to join the group, as we start a second tour. For those of you just joining us, here is a summary of the "rules," as they are:
* I will be rolling up the mission parameters, fighter support, flak cover, weather and date for all missions.
* There is no required format for reporting your results, but the more info you present the more entertaining it is for everyone. If you track who gets injured, how many fighter kills, etc., then I can summarize that info at the end of the mission period for all bombers.
* All flights must be flown by the following Sunday (in this case, 12/03/04 ), and I will prepare an After Action Report the following Monday. If you happen to miss a week or two, no big deal, just join back in when you can.
* All planes are assigned to a squadron. If you are new, just post a response in the thread giving your plane name and you will be assigned a squadron. Squadrons are being given a position (High, Middle, Low or Low- Low.) by jasta6, as recorded here.
* Lead and Tail positions are still being assigned to volunteers. Please note that only bombers in MIDDLE position can be lead, and only bombers in LOW-LOW position can be tail. So if you are in one of those squadrons, and nobody has yet volunteered for a position, roll 1d6. If you get a 6, you are the lucky winner.
* Some optional rules can be found here.

”… “ Villcoublay .”....” Good luck and Gods speed boys!”

MISSION Eighty-Six:
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 1943 (5 day from last mission)

GROUP A: (151st BS, 153rd BG & 154th BS)
Primary Target: Villcoublay, France. A/D
Secondary Target: None

Bomb Load: 12 x 500 lb M-43 G.P. Bombs
Bombing Altitude: 19,700 ft (Low Group)

Gazetteer:
Outbound & InBound: Zone 2: –1 W / Zone 3: -0 F / Zone 4: -0 F / Zone 5: 0 F

Primary Target Flak O/B: Medium
Primary Target Flak I/B: Medium

Primary Target Weather: Good 1/10 Cloud (No modifiers)
Secondary Target Weather: N/A
Base Weather: Good 1/10 Cloud Cover (No modifiers)

(20th FG P-47’s outbound, 355th FG P47’s inbound) {Note; as of August we can pick up Friendly fighters in Zone 6, got-ta love drop tanks.}
Zone 2 outbound: fair
Zone 3 outbound: fair
Zone 4 outbound: poor
Zone 5 outbound: good
Zone 5 inbound: fair
Zone 4 inbound: poor
Zone 3 inbound: good
Zone 2 inbound: fair

GROUP B: (152nd BS)
Primary Target: North Sea (Diversionary mission)
Secondary Target: None

Bomb Load: 2 x Smoke Bombs
Bombing Altitude: 19,700 ft (Low Group)

Gazetteer:
Outbound & InBound: Zone 2: –2 W / Zone 3: -1 W / Zone 4: -1 W / Zone 5: -1 W

Primary Target Flak O/B: none
Primary Target Flak I/B: none

Primary Target Weather: Good 1/10 Cloud (No modifiers)
Base Weather: Good 1/10 Cloud Cover (No modifiers)

(20th FG P-47’s outbound, 355th FG P47’s inbound) {Note; as of August we can pick up Friendly fighters in Zone 6, got-ta love drop tanks.}
Zone 2 outbound: good
Zone 3 outbound: fair
Zone 4 outbound: fair
Zone 5 outbound: good
Zone 5 inbound: good
Zone 4 inbound: good
Zone 3 inbound: fair
Zone 2 inbound: fair

Note: Gents, don’t forget to add your Squadron Positions modifiers to the above Gazetteer values.

Mission Special Rules:

A) GROUP A: play as normal Game.

B) GROUP B: Special rules below;
- If you roll up fighters in a zone do not roll on B-3 chart as the fighters you will encounter are three patrolling JU88s instead. These Fighter/Bombers will only make one attack then break off, even if you are out of formation.
- To determine the attack angle/attitude roll once per JU88 on the Successive Attack Table B-6 and modify as the JU 88 Rules below. Those using the GAF: Placement Variant may roll for their JU88s on the appropriate charts.
- Incase of a bomb bay hit roll 2d6, on a 2 or 12 the smoke bombs are hit and they start a fire. Immediately jettison your smoke bombs. Then you can use any extinguishers left, up to three, to put out the fire caused by the smoke bombs. Use the same rules as an oxygen fire. Any other result is superficial damage.

- You will not encounter flak during this mission.
- In Zone 4 & Zone 5 you will search for a life boat from a previous mission where a crew was downed.
Search roll:
Roll 1d6
1 = Spotted, Drop your smoke bomb and report to base their coordinates. No need to roll again once you found the raft.
2 – 3 = you spot a DO 217 on the surface trolling in the direction of aircraft crash site. You may attack this plane as if a Me110. Two passes may be made. Once rolled up, if this is rolled a second time treat as a roll of 4-6, nothing sighted.
4-6 = Nothing sighted.

Note: If raft is found in Zone 4, you may return home without flying to Zone 5. Once the fist AAR post the raft is found All other players in the 152nd BS can return from the mission in the Zone the raft was first found.

Mission Map:

-Historical Mission: (from “The Mighty 8th War Diary by R.A.Freeman) Mission 86 The Mighty Eighth 1BW flew to Villacoublay, France A/D with 4BW flying to Conches & Evreux/Fauville A/F. The 1BW also sorties 36 bombers from the 303rd BG, 379th BG & 384th BG on a diversionary mission. In the main force, 142 Fortresses sortied with 108 bombing their targets. There were 1 plane lost and one crewman killed in returning Fortress’s. Nineteen men were wounded. None were listed MIA. Part II of today’s mission was the return of the 4BW from North Africa.. They bombed Bordeaux/Merignac France and returned to their home bases. Three Aircraft were lost, 40 damaged, with thirty crewmen listed as missing. No casualties were logged.

The 303rd operation notes, for their mission 62, & mission 63, The 303rd BS provided six planes for the diversionary mission this day. They record no combat mission. There is a report of coming across a German DO-24 which was fired upon by the 303rd BS Fortresses and reported destroying the German Float Plane…

Edits in dark red are for clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Forum Campaign 4] Mission 86 – Villaoucblay
**Please read and follow as it will help me collate the information for the roster thread** Thank You!

Again, please remember I would like players to, at a minimum, list the Crew (pilots name with rank and Planes name of their Fortress at the beginning of all AAR post to help me facilitate updating the Roster List? Please use the format below as this will help me create the list in a timely manor.

If this format is not followed I may have to pass over your record as it takes more time to compile than it should have to. Adding this information will make it much easier to assemble this extra fluff for our campaign. Please remember to also add your pilot’s rank.

Thank You!

EXAMPLE wrote:
Pilot: 1st Lt.. Andy Anybody
B-17: "Bombs Alot/Miss Alot"

Also please add your Bombardment Squadron somewhere at the top too. This will help me in data entry. i.e. 154th BS

P.S. As I am keeping stats of the campaign for mission reports could you list your enemy aircraft probable and damage information as well as your kills in one short entry. Example: (KIA = 5, Prob = 2 & Damg = 5)

Jim P cool
Thanks....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
281st BG (V) Aircraft Roster for Mission 86 [Villaoucblay, France. A/D]

- Player's Squadron Assignment can be found at this thread: Squadron Assignment

- Squadron Positions for this mission can be found at this thread: Squadron Positions

Mission : (Volunteers)
---- Lead: 2nd Lt. Joe Friday's Crew in "JUST THE FLAK MA'AM"
---- Tail: 1st Lt. George Gidos's "Creeping Death"

151st BS - BG:
Capt. Seth Gecko's Crew in "Santanico Pandemonium" [AAR]
1st Lt. Carl Blackburn's Crew in "Squawkin' Hawk" [AAR] (Lost)
1st Lt. George Gidos's "Creeping Death" [AAR] Tail (Aborted)
1st Lt. Lester Husby's Crew in "Maid'n America" [AAR]
2nd Lt. B. Petso's Crew in "Silver Dollar" [AAR] (Aborted)

152nd BS - BB: (Diversionary Mission)
FO Rob Browning's Crew in "Cloud Cover" (B-17G-1-B0 42-31056) [AAR] Spotted Raft
2nd Lt. Clark Haley's Crew in “Unknown Lass” (B-17F-60-B0 42-29577) [AAR] (Pilot KIA)
1st Lt. A. Jackson's Crew in "Fort McHenry" (B-17F-125-B0 42-30916) [AAR]
1st Lt. Kevin Ward's Crew in "Pot of Gold B17F-105-BO-42-120205" [AAR]

153rd BS - GB:
Major Edward Acton's Crew in "Belle of Baltimore II" (B-17F-115 42-30669) [AAR]
1st Lt. Rick Robey's Crew in "Boeing’s Best" (B-17F-35-B0 42-5122) [AAR]
2nd Lt. Joe Friday's Crew in "JUST THE FLAK MA'AM" [AAR] Lead
2nd Lt. Ridcully's Crew in "The Great A'Tuin" [AAR]

154st BS - GG:
1Lt Goodnight Austin's Crew in "CACTUS JACK" (B-17F-25-VE 42-5822) [AAR] (Aborted)
1st Lt. Kevin Costner's Crew in "Friendly Persuasion" (B-17F-45-VE 42-6065) [AAR]
2nd Lt. Roger Daley's Crew in The Great Karzy (B-17F-30-VE-42-5858) [AAR] (Lost)
FO Geoffrey Silva's Crew in "Roo Crew" [AAR]
2LT D. Enys Crew in "The Black Moon" (B-17G-1-B0 42-31070) [AAR]

Lt. Col. Chase Pfalzstaff
Deptuy Commander
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Wing HQ

(edits; Crews added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Lt. George Gidos and the crew of "Creeping Death" volunteers for the tail end charlie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, Pilot Officer Browning here, these smoke bombs, how explosive are they? What I mean is if we take a burst in the bomb bay are we going to explode or will the Fort just fill up with smoke?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crew of JUST THE FLAK MA'AM will volunteer to lead the group (okay you can stop bending my arm now, I said what you wanted. How the hell will I be able to fly now?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Sir, these smoke bombs, how explosive are they? What I mean is if we take a burst in the bomb bay are we going to explode or will the Fort just fill up with smoke?

Damo,
Good question. I will say if your bombs are hit roll 2d6 on a 2,12 the bombs are hit and the start a fire. Immediately jettison your smoke bombs. Then you can use any extinguishers left, up to three, to put out the fire caused by the smoke bombs. Use the same rules as an oxygen fire.

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To:
281st BG (H) personal

Subject:
Lead / Tail assignments

---- Lead: 2nd Lt. Joe Friday's Crew in "JUST THE FLAK MA'AM"
---- Tail: 1st Lt. George Gidos's "Creeping Death"

Lt. Col. Pfalzstaff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JU88 rules
jasta6 wrote:
- If you roll up fighters in a zone do not roll on B-3 chart as the fighters you will encounter are three patrolling JU88s instead. These Fighter/Bombers will only make one attack then break off, even if you are out of formation.

Which angles do they attack from (or do we roll on the table for successive attacks to pick random angles), and what adjustments do we make for hitting and damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Grabiner wrote:
Which angles do they attack from (or do we roll on the table for successive attacks to pick random angles), and what adjustments do we make for hitting and damage?

Using the successive attack table, that's a good idea.

Rules for Ju-88 which I've found on the net (30th Bombardment wing webpage)

Introducing the JU-88
2. Except where otherwise specified by the mission controller:
A. The Ju88 appears only in zones with no fighter cover.
B. The Ju88 appears only as waves of one or two aircraft.
C. The Ju88 does not make frontal attacks. Reallocate 12to6; 1to3; 10to9.
D. The JU88 does not make vertical attacks either climbing or diving.
E. Only veteran skilled pilots fly the JU88.
3. When the rule is in effect, Ju88s are encountered on the B3 Chart by substituting the Ju88 for the aircraft named on the chart as follows (re-allocate clock positions as cited above):
A. Chart B3 Waves 11, 22, 32, 41, 51, 62
4. The JU88 c-6 inflicts damage to the B17 like the ME 110 (all hits are +1 hit).
5. B17 gunners add one to ME 110 To Hit numbers on the M1 Defensive Gunnery Chart when shooting at the JU 88. (E.g. A 6 is read 5,6; a 4,5,6 is read 3,4,5,6; a 3,4,5,6 becomes 2,3,4,5,6.)
6. B17 single mount MG hits on the JU88 fired by a non-ace gunner are reduced one level: FCA = no damage; FBOA = FCA; Kill = FBOA. Regardless of the die roll a single mount MG fired by a non-ace gunner cannot kill a JU88 with one hit. The max damage is FBOA. An ace B17 gunner is an exception. Ace gunner results are treated normally, even if the ace is firing a single mount MG. Twin B17 MG mounts are treated normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you actually need two lead and two tail bombers? One lead and tail for the 151st-153rd-154th BS flight and one lead and tail for the 152nd BS flight?

If so, Strike One volunteers for TEC for the 152nd BS mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
Don't you actually need two lead and two tail bombers? One lead and tail for the 151st-153rd-154th BS flight and one lead and tail for the 152nd BS flight?

If so, Strike One volunteers for TEC for the 152nd BS mission.

Maybe the other squadron's are filling those positions?

If not Cloud Cover volunteers for 152nd Lead (and testing out that new forward turret!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Grabiner wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Sorry, I missed this point. Yes use the successive attack table and modifiy the clock position per the JU88 rules Damo supplied above.

Infomanohio wrote:
Don't you actually need two lead and two tail...
bombers?

John,
You will still use your original squadron position within the group as if you were flying with the 281st BG, and today that is the "High" position. So the other squadrons are in the Lead/Tail positions today.

Sorry for not being clear guys and thank you Damo for covering my six!

Jim P cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
David Grabiner wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Sorry, I missed this point. Yes use the successive attack table and modifiy the clock position per the JU88 rules Damo supplied above.

Infomanohio wrote:
bombers?

John,
You will still use your original squadron position within the group as if you were flying with the 281st BG, and today that is the "High" position. So the other squadrons are in the Lead/Tail positions today.

Jim P :cool:

Once the 281st splits into Group A and Group B per your map, won't the 152nd BS be on its own and need a separate "lead" bomber to direct the search effort? Likewise, it will need a TEC bomber as well for those pesky German camp followers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
jasta6 wrote:
David Grabiner wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Infomanohio wrote:
bombers?

John,

Jim P cool

Once the 281st splits into Group A and Group B per your map, won't the 152nd BS be on its own and need a separate "lead" bomber to direct the search effort? Likewise, it will need a TEC bomber as well for those pesky German camp followers...

No, you will be flying with three other Squadrons from three other BG's, one squadron from each group. Your Squadron is in the high position, the other squadrons from the other bomber groups are in the Lead, Low and Low-Low positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
Infomanohio wrote:
jasta6 wrote:
David Grabiner wrote:
jasta6 wrote:

Infomanohio wrote:
bombers?

John,

Jim P :cool:

No, you will be flying with three other Squadrons from three other BG's, one squadron from each group. Your Squadron is in the high position, the other squadrons from the other bomber groups are in the Lead, Low and Low-Low positions.

Got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
now retired so more time for boardgaming!
badge
Alumini of Dogwarts University - Double First : Engineering for Dogs
mbmbmbmbmb

Pilot: 2LT D. Enys
B17: The Black Moon

Sqdn: 154th
Mission: 86 (this bomber 1)
Target: Villcoublay - A/D
Position: Low - Middle

Crew Status:

Pilot: 2Lt Dwight Enys (1)
Copilot: 2Lt Andrew Blamey (1)
Bombardier: 2Lt Francis Poldark (1)
Navigator: 2Lt Ross Poldark (1)
Engineer: Mst Sgt George Warleggan (1)
Radio Operator: Osborne Whitworth (1)
Ball Gunner: Sgt Drake Carne (1) *
Port Waist: Sgt Arthur Solway (1)
Starboard Waist: Sam Carne (1)
Tail Gunner: Sgt Jud Paynter (1) *

(Mission Number)
* = fighters claimed

Bomb Drop: 0% Off Target

Fighters Claimed:
Sgt Drake Carne - ME 109 KIA
Sgt Jud Paynter – FW 190 KIA
2Lt Francis Poldark – FW 190 Probable

Kills x 2, Probables x 1, Damaged x 0

B17 Status:

Engaged with 7 German fighters
FW 190's x 5 (3 driven off by fighter cover)
ME 109's x 1
ME 110 x 1

1 hit from fighters, 0 from flak

Peckham Points = 10

Replacements:
None

Mission Description

This was my first flight as skipper and with a brand new plane; I'd been given one of the new B-17G's which I did not want to damage on its maiden flight! I was worried how the crew (and myself) would cope with our first combat mission. Especially given what had befallen the squadron on its last mission, when so many planes were lost.

We weren’t given too much time to worry as we were attacked by two German planes as soon as we started to fly over the Channel. Sgt Carne took out a ME 109 with his first burst of gunfire. We watched as it dipped then crashed into the sea. The other plane, a ME 110 must have been shaken by this as he disappeared without causing us so much as a scratch.

Things were quiet until we neared Villcoublay when we engaged with five FW 190’s. Our ‘little friends’ managed to force three of the enemy planes away while we dealt with the remaining two fighters. Sgt Painter in the tail hit one with a burst of fire to the wing; a parachute was reported before we lost sight of the FW as it plunged towards the ground. Lt Poldark, firing from the chin turret hit the remaining fighter who flew off with black smoke streaming from his plane. He had, however, managed to hit us before he was damaged by the Bombardier. Shellfire had penetrated the cockpit and travelled through to damage the Engineer’s oxygen supply, luckily Sgt Warleggan was just about getting enough oxygen that we could maintain our current altitude.

The flak was bursting around us but fortunately none of it came close enough to cause a problem. We managed to get our bombs away but all sightings appeared to indicate that the target had been missed, much to the annoyance of Lt Poldark. We left the target zone and headed for home.

More enemy fighters came at us as we flew back over the French countryside but they were kept well away from us by the fire from the other bombers in the formation.

As we flew over the England I could feel the relief building up in me but I managed to keep my emotions in check as we approached base,it wouldn't do to mess it all up with a bad landing at the end of our first mission. I managed to get the plane down with a bit of a bump but no damage to the plane or the crew.

We're all hoping the rest of the squadron arrive back soon all in one piece.

Respectfully Yours
2Lt D. Enys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pilot: FO Rob Browning RAAF
B17: Cloud Cover (B-17G-1-B0 42-31056)

Sqdn: 152nd, 281st Bombardment Group
Mission#: 86 (this bomber 1)
Target: North Sea Diversion/Search & Rescue
Position (Sqdn/Aircraft): High/Middle

Crew(Medal),*-previous Kills(v=5 kills),(mission) Casualties, Kill(K), Probable(P), Damaged(D)

Pilot: FO Rob Browning (1)
Copilot: PO Will Englert (1)
Bomb Aimer: PO Andy Archibald (1)
Navigator: PO Charles Langridge (1)
Engineer: Sgt Fred Gander (1)
Wireless Operator: Sgt Will Reid (1)
Ball Gunner: Sgt Dick Rowat (1)
Port Waist: Sgt Andy Campbell (1)
Starboard Waist: Sgt Jeff Baker (1)
Tail Gunner: Sgt John "Tommy" Tomlinson (1) K:2*Ju88

Bomb Drop: Off Target "Well we weren’t trying to hit the raft, were we"

Fighters Encountered:
Ju88 - 6

Fighters Claimed:
Destroyed: 2*Ju88
Damaged: 1*Ju88
Medal/Promotion Recommendations:
None

B17 Condition Report: Hits - from fighters, from flak.
None

Peckham Points = 0

Replacements:
None

Mission Debrief:

“How are we meant to spot anyone from 20,000 feeet?" Pilot Officer Will Englert asked his Skipper.

“Open our eyes and pray like the devil, I suppose" Flying Officer Rob Browning replied. "But that’s not what this mission is about. We’re the goose that Gorings Lads are going to be trying to cook."

The crew of Cloud Cover were treated to beautiful rolling views of the North Sea until they’d almost reached the outer most point of their mission in Zone 5.

“Bloody hell skipper, 3 Ju88s coming from behind!" Tomlinson in the tail called out. "No wait, the yanks have seen off two, there’s just one left."

“I see him." Gander and Reid replied at the same time.

“I hit him!" "So did I!" "I think we all did! Poor bugger, he didn’t have a chance in that slow old crate."

“He would have done the same to us, lad." Gander replied. "Tommy, I think that kills yours."

“Skipper, Andy in the Nose. Can you turn 5 degrees to port?....Just a little more.... I see them! I see the raft!"

“Well I’ll be." Browning and Englert shared a disbelieving look. Browning started issuing orders. "Charles, give Will our position. Will, call them in once you’ve got them. Andy, I’m lining you up to drop smoke. Gander, see what supplies you can rustle up and we’ll do a low pass over them."

On the way back the crew was entertained by the Luftwaffe a second time. The P-47's dealt with one, Tomlinson gained a second Ju88 confirmed as killed, while Gander damaged another.

Once they’d landed, Rob reported to the Operations Office. "Yes Sir, we dropped a thermos of tea and some biscuits in a life vest. We got it pretty close but didn’t see any movement in the raft."

“After 5 days, I’m not surprised." Major Young replied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pilot: Flying Officer Geoffrey Silva
B17: Roo Crew B-17G

Sqdn: 154th, 281st Bombardment Group
Mission#: 86 (this bomber 1)
Target: Villacoublay Aerodrome
Position (Sqdn/Aircraft): High,middle

Crew(Medal),*-previous Kills(v=5 kills),(mission) Casualties, Kill(K), Probable(P), Damaged(D)

Pilot: FO Geoffrey "High Ho" Silva (1)
Copilot: PO Robert Beckett (1)
Bombardier: PO Will Randolph(1) (K)1*Me109, 1*Me110, 1*Fw190, (P)1*Fw190(LW)
Navigator: PO James Fosh (1) (K)1*Me110
Engineer: Sgt John Modges (1) (D) 1*Fw190
Radio Operator: Dick Everitt (1) (LW)
Ball Gunner: Sgt Sam Brockenshire (1) (K)1*Fw190
Port Waist: Sgt Toby Meares (1) (KIA)
Starboard Waist: Sgt Anthony Reid (1)
Tail Gunner: Sgt Mathew Gardiner(1) (K)2*Me109, 1*Me110 (LW)

Bomb Drop: On Target - 30%

Fighters Encountered:
Me109: 5, Me110:3 , Fw190:14

Fighters Claimed:
Destroyed: 3* Me109, 3*Me110, 2*Fw190
Damaged: 0*Me109,0*Me110, 2*Fw190

Medal/Promotion Recommendations: None

B17 Condition Report: Hits - 22 from fighters, 0 from flak.

Peckham Points = 56

Replacements:
Sgt Rob Moffatt

Mission Debrief:

Well Sir, I guess the diversion worked as it was all quiet until we passed east of Le Borget. Then a flight of four 190’s decided to pay us a visit. We damaged a few but the other two came in for a couple of runs each before breaking off.

We received superficial damage to the both wings and tail and Gardiner and Everitt both received light wounds. Meares in the waist was peppered with rounds and died instantly.

The Luftwaffe had woken up by the time we entered the target zone as we were attacked by two waves, one each of 190s and 109s. Our fighter cover forced off most of them and Randolph, Brokenshire and Gardiner all got one each. Randolph was lightly wounded in the exchange of fire and apart from more superficial damage the starboard waist gun was destroyed. Reid moved over to the port waist gun.

The flak missed us as we came in over the target and Randolph put 30% of our eggs into the barrel. The flak coming out of the target zone was also inaccurate.

The Jerries decided we’d gotten off too lightly and three waves had a go on the way out. Our squadron was too tight for one wave to get through, but one 109 had gained a fair bit of altitude and attacked from above, putting a few more holes in the waist fuselage before coming in for another go from the front.

I think the jerry pilot had a brown trouser moment when he realised it was a twin turret opening up on him as that and the damage Randolph dealt out put off his aim. Gardiner in the tail finished him off as he flew past.

The third wave was mostly fought off by the P-47s but resulted in no damage given or received.

It was all quiet near Meulans but warmed up again as we approached the coast. Three 110s came in for the attack, but were all shot down before they could attack.

Over the Channel four 190s made a last ditch attempt to stop us. Randolph holed one, sending it into the sea, our fighter cover fought off two more and the remaining pilot missed, thank goodness.

Though bloody and bruised we landed safely at Elveden Field.

Game Notes:
The Chin Turret rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K. Edwards
United States
El Centro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilot: 1Lt Goodnight Austin
B17: CACTUS JACK
Sqdn: 154th
Mission: 86 (this bomber 1)
Target: Villcoublay - A/D
Position: Low - Middle

Crew: (missions) [ status ]

Pilot: 1Lt. Goodnight Austin (1)
Copilot: 2Lt. Peter Olsen (1)
Bombardier: 2Lt. Joshua Lander (1)
Navigator: 2Lt. Robert Geddes (1)
Engineer: MSgt. Steve Douglas (1) [ SW - broken right femur ]
RO: Sgt. George Brett (1)
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Sean Donally (1)
PWG: Sgt. Charles Chamberlain (1)
SWG: Matt Dunn (1)
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Nikko Takai (1)

Bomb Drop: 0% Aborted - Bombed England

Mission Report:

As we gained altitude to join the formation, Sgt. Douglas screamed into the intercom that we were about to hit another B-17 that was appeared to be descending right on top of us. I put our aircraft into a steep dive, causing the bombs to jar loose from their racks and smash through the fuselage. After diving approximatly 5000 feet, I managed to get CACTUS JACK level again.

A quick intercom check reveled the crew was shaken by this incident and that Sgt. Douglas smashed his leg into something and it maybe broken. We managed to land without incident. Our crew chief looked at CACTUS JACK and mumbled something about not even having met the enemy and look what I'd done to his aircraft.....

CACTUS JACK will be ready for the next mission.

Respectfully Submitted,

Goodnight Austin, 1LT. USAAF
Pilot: B-17 CACTUS JACK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR)
Pilot: 1st Lt. A. Jackson
B-17: Fort McHenry (Mission 2)
Squadron: 152nd Bomber Squadron, 281st Bombardment Group
Mission: Mission 86, Tuesday, August 24, 1943
Target: North Sea Diversionary, Search and Rescue

Crew Assigned: Position: Rank & Name (mission #) Casualties, Kills, Probable, Damaged

Bombardier: 2nd Lt. G. Armistead (2)
Navigator: 2nd Lt. WH Harrison (5)
Pilot: 1st Lt. A Jackson (3)
Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt. S. Decatur (5)
Engineer: Mst. Sgt. OH Perry (5) K:2-88s P: 2-88s
Radio Oper.: T.Sgt. W. Scott (5)
Ball Gunner: Sgt. H. Dearborn (5) P: 1-88s D: 2-88
Pt Waist G: Sgt. W. Hull (5)
Stbd Waist G: Sgt. A. Holmes (2) P: 1-88
Tail Gunner: Sgt. J. Elliott (5) K: 3-88s D: 1-88

Fighters Encountered: Ace: 0 , Average: 24 , Green: 0

Enemy Fighters Hit: (KIA = 5, Prob = 4 , Damg = 3)

Bomb Run: Did not see rafts before Cloud Cover

B-17 Damage: Port elevator out

Landing: Safe at base in England

Special Note: Top Turret gunner now an ace

Mission Description: Filed by 1st Lt. A Jackson

At the mission briefing this morning it was announced (to much grumbling) that the 281st would be split into two groups today. The pilots from the 152nd were then led out of the hall for a special briefing with Major Young. The major informed us that we would not be flying with the rest of the group to France, but would be going on a diversionary mission to the North Sea to look for downed air crews. Since we had ditched in the Channel only a week ago, the men were excited for a mission searching for a downed plane.

On the way out, we are attacked by Ju-88 patrols in Zones 3, 4, and 5. We sustained no damage thanks to the fighter cover and some excellent shooting from my gunners. Sgt. Elliot, who had three kills today, said Ju-88s were “like shooting fish in a barrel.”

Before taking off, I offered the man who spotted the raft first a bottle of whisky from home I had been saving. While searching for the rafts, the report came in over the radio that Cloud Cover had spotted the raft. The whisky goes back in my foot locker for another day.

On the way in, we were attacked again by Ju-88s in Zones 5 and 2. Mst. Sgt. Perry scored is fourth and fifth kills to make ace. Mr. Goering is missing most of a squadron of Ju-88s thanks to the Fort McHenry.

The plane sustained minor damage and we had no casualties. We landed safely at base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Moir
United States
Wilton
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
After Action Report (AAR) Filed by Navigator Lt. David Dortman
Pilot: 1st Lt. Carl Blackburn
Mission: 86 (2)
B-17: Squawkin' Hawk
Squadron: 151st Rapture Time
Target: Villacoublay (Aerodrome)

Crew Assigned:
Bombadier: 2nd Lt. Hurley Powers (2)
Navigator: 2nd Lt. David Dortman (2)
Pilot: 1st Lt. Carl Blackburn (2)
Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt. James Dickerson (2)
Engineer: SSgt. John Anderson (2) *** 190(prob), 190 (dest), 110 (dest)
Radio Operator: Sgt. Donald Newton (1)
Ball Turret: Sgt. Christian Simmons (2) ** 190 (dest) 190(dmg)
Port Waist Gunner: Sgt. Joseph Lopez (2) * 190(dmg)
Starboard Waist Gunner: Sgt. Bernard Griffin (2)
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Raymond Keltner (2)

* one enemy fighter
# five enemy fighters
( ) missions

Fighters Encountered: 21 (3x110, 6x109, 12x190)
Driven off: 9

Enemy Confirmed Shot Down: 3
Enemy Probable: 1
Enemy Damaged: 2

B17s damage (at time of loss):
#1 engine out (feathered)
#2 engine (superficial damage)
#4 engine, oil leak (3 zones left from hit in zone 5)
3 rudder hits (rudder out)
1 hit tail oxygen
1 hit control cables
Starboard wing fuel fire, inbound tank
various superficial damage (8 hits)
3 crew hits (Copilot SW, Tail Gunner LW + SW = KIA)

20 hits (2 from flak, 18 from fighters)

Crew Injury/Casualties:
Bombadier H. Powers (KIA - Drowned)
Pilot C. Blackburn (KIA)
Co-Pilot J. Dickerson (SW+KIA)
Engineer SSgt J. Anderson (KIA)
Radio Operator D. Newton (KIA)
Ball Turret Gunner C. Simmons (KIA)
Starboard Waist Gunner B. Griffin (KIA)
Tail Gunner R. Keltner (SW+LW=KIA)

Peckham Points: N/A, B17 Lost

Bombing Run: 30%

Replacements:
Bombadier: 2nd Lt. John Ford
Pilot: 2nd Lt. Walden Harris
Co-Pilot: 1st Lt. Charles "Murph" Murphy
Engineer: SSgt. Anthony Krieger
Radio Operator: Sgt. Ralph Ward
Ball Turret Gunner: Sgt. Quintin Lanier
Starboard Waist Gunner: Sgt. Roy Richardson
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Jerry Kelly

Recommendations:
None

Summary:

Interview of Sgt. Joseph Lopez:

Well, sir, I'm afraid I damned the crew by sayin' to Bernie..God rest his soul..that this almost seemed a milk run compared to last time...yes, sir, I know...you say it ain't my fault. I just hadda get that out.

The 190s came over the channel, but nobody hit anything...neither us nor them, and they didn't come back, I guess the other crates got 'em, or they turned around. Some more came after we hit the coast of France. I hear Christian down in the ball smoked one of them as it tried to line up its first run, the others musta seen that and turned tail.

Just before we made the turn to Villacoublay, that's when they swarmed us, four more 190s. Our little friends did their part and drove two of 'em off, but the others each made a couple hits. We hit 'em back though, Sgt. Anderson knocked them both out from the top turret, one he damaged and flew off, the other flew to pieces before it could line up a third run at us.

A couplea 109s and a 190 came in from 12 and 1:30 then, Hurley winged the 190, but one of the 109s raked us and got Lt. Dickerson something fierce before getting driven off by our fighter cover. Thought we saw some more planes, but nothing came our way.

Taking stock, Bernie said it looked like the #4 was leaking oil, but not bad. I saw some shots bounce off #2 but didn't see anything but dents. Lt. Dickerson was hurt bad, but Cap' was fine, so we kept going.

The flak after we made the turn was not bad...and I swear, we flew in straight and level, without even a rattle. We got a pretty good drop, Hurley...Lt. Powers, yes sir...reported he thought four bombs look like they hit near enough to cause serious damage, reported 30% on target, sir. I sure hope to hell we gave those bastards a headache. Yes, sir...sorry, sir.

Anyway, on the way out, we got dinged a little by flak, but I don't think it did anything but rattle things around, Bernie saw sparks on the wing but don't think anything serious happened. But that..that's when things started to go bad.

We didn't think much of the attack that came after the flak had cleared, some 110s came in, one was chased off by a P-47, the other two got smoked by our Top and Ball mounts, destroyed before they even got a shot off. Ray in the tail even says...said...he got a piece of one, and I believe him. But then...

Yeah, that's when the 190s came back and chewed us to pieces. At first it wasn't bad, I even hit one of the inbound ones, just damaged it though, but it missed us and didn't come back. Christian hit the other, coming from 3 o'clock, but again not bad enough to drive it off, and it hit us, just making a few holes. We even had a reprieve, a bit of quiet before we hit the coast, then four 190s showed up. Little friends did good, they sent a couple home without bothering us, but the one at 12 o'clock high came in and hit us once, knocked out the #1 engine, then swooped around behind Ray back in the tail, and really lit us up...the whole plane shook with hits throughout the tail and both wings. Ray got it then, just as our rudder was shot to bits, along with some of the control cables back there with him. And suddenly, the wing on Bernie's side caught fire...fuel tank hit, he said when I got back from checking on Ray. Cap immediately dove us out of formation, took us down to about 16000 without putting out the flames. Above us, the formation kept going, we set off towards the channel. We were all in crisis mode.

We were lucky not to catch any serious Jerry attention then, and the P-47s drove off those that came near, but a couple more attempts to put out the fire didn't do anything to make our situation any better. Finally our luck ran out...the tank finally went up...I've never heard anything quite so loud in my life! I'm not sure whether I bailed out or was blown out the side of the plane, but I only saw two other chutes follow me out..Lieutenants Powers and Dortman. Lt. Dortman says that Hurley...Hurley got all tangled up in his chute on hitting the water, and went right down under the surface. I saw the Lieutenant try..I saw him try to get to him, but...well, sir, I...I need...sir, are we done? I think I n-need some air...

Sgt. Joseph Lopez
151st BS, 218th BG(H)

=====

Final Comment: A 190 came in at 6 o'clock level, and when I rolled for hits, came up 12 -- 7 hits, x1.5, 10 hits. I'm lucky it didn't do more, but it certainly did enough. First hit rolled, fire in the starboard wing inboard fuel tank. The rest of the hits didn't matter much, outside of killing my tail gunner, and knocking out my rudder..I doubted I'd be getting back to England anyway, let alone a runway. I'm amazed I kept two of my crew, and at least glad I put my bombs on target for a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR) #86

Pilot: Capt. Seth Gecko
B17: Santanico Pandemonium

Sqdn.: 151st
Mission : 22
Target: French Cheese Town
Position: Low-Low

Crew Status:
Pilot: Capt. Seth Gecko (22)
Copilot: 2nd Lt. Kelly Kelly (10)
Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Bing “Bingo” Gomez (4)^ ***KIA***
Navigator: 1st Lt. Ted Raimi (23)*** LW
Engineer: FO Razor Charlie(22)### LW
Radio Operator: SSgt. Ian Ambercrombie (23)
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Kay Sloughter (19)###** 4 kills
Port Waist: Sgt. Sam Raimi (7) ***KIA***
Starboard Waist: Sgt. Danny Trejo (6)* Me-109
Tail Gunner: SSgt. Fred Williamson “Frost” (22)##*

(Mission Number)
* = fighters shot down
^= ½ fighter shot down
# = 5 Fighters shot down (ACE)

Bomb Drop : 10%

Fighters Encountered: 30!!!!
Fighters Driven off: 5

Enemy Confirmed Shot down: 6
Enemy Probable: 2
Enemy Damaged: 2
Razor claims 1.5, Frost 0.5 and Kay got 4.

B-17s damage: Moderate – Port wing root. Tail turret and port waist guns out. Oxygen needs repair in pilot compartment. Lots of additional non-system damage.

Total hits: 19

Peckham Points: 91.

Mission Description:

Flying Low-Low, so we knew this could be a bad one. At least it was only going to the land of cheese. We got dogged by enemy fighters the whole shebang. Usually finding 2 waves in each zone. Thankfully, the P-47s kept a number of them at bay.

We made it with barely a scratch to the target but got rocked by flak damaging our port wing root. I was forced off target, but somehow Bingo still got 10% on! He was amazing. Was? Yes, was. After the target some butcher birds swooped on us. One peppered us with shells killing Bingo and wounding Ian and Razor. He also knocked out the tail turret on a second pass before Ted left him smoking home.

Lots more fighters on the way home as the P-47s abandoned us as Frost took over the nose gun.

One the way home we were nailed by a 110 on a vertical climb. Sam was seriously wounded in the waist. Kay took it out when it came around for another run at us.

Another butcher bird caused us some problems and took 3 passes at us and knocked out our port gun.

When we were almost home we took some more hits and Sam was hit again killing him. A final 109 came at us in a vertical dive but flew past us without incident.

We finally landed.

Funeral service is at dawn.

Capt. Seth Gecko
Santanico Pandemonium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilot: 2nd Lt. Joe Friday
Plane: JUST THE FLAK MA'AM

Mission: 86(6)
Target: Villcoublay - Air Field
Sqdn: 153rd
Position: Middle-Lead
Bomb run: 75%

Crew:
Pilot - 2nd Lt. Joe Friday (6)
Copilot - 2nd Lt. Larry Champion (2)
Bombardier - 2nd Lt. Russell Maynor (2) - LW
|▐██▌|
Navigator - 2nd Lt. Steve McGarrett (6) * - LW, claims Fw190
|▐██▌| with cluster
Engineer - SSgt. Harold Iglesias (5) * - claims Fw190
|▐██▌|
Radio Op.- TSgt. Edward Rogers (2)
Ball Gunner - Sgt. Jim Rockford (6) **
Port Waist - Sgt. Mark Albanese (2) - LW
|▐██▌|
Strbd Waist - Sgt. Manuel Sealey (2)
Tail Gunner - Sgt. Joe Mannix (6) ****
|▐██▌| with cluster

½ shared credit
* one enemy fighter
# five enemy fighters
( ) missions

Aircraft Status - Aircraft returned with damage to the life rafts. Two other superficial hits to the fuselage and port wing. Claims of 2 Fw190s destroyed, 1 Fw190 probable and 1 Fw190 damaged. Crew Casualties: 3 crew members lightly wounded. (18 Peckham Points)

Mission Report

With five missions under my belt, my crew and I now are expected to rotate through the squadron lead. Our first lead and we draw the group lead. At the pre-flight briefing my navigator was feveriously taking notes on the expected weather conditions and navigational waypoints. It was his job to navigate the group to the target and back. Fortunately when he wasn't manning his guns, Lt. McGarrett kept me updated with the necessary course adjustments to bring the group over the target on schedule. Of course the Jerries hit us all along the way. The only respite we got was over that channel coming and going. Fortunately my crew and the rest of the 153rd squadron fought a ferocious defense and gave the interceptors a bloody nose or two. Our escort also jumped in and covered our butts well today. A couple of the new crewman got their purple hearts getting minor wounds from bits of sheet metal flying around the compartments. But no million-dollar wounds today. Lt. McGarrett and Sgt. Iglesias are claiming a pair of Fw190s, my tail gunner and radio man think they severely damaged another Fw190 diving down on our six. Sgt. Rockford believes he knicked another Fw190 as it passed under us.

Lt. Maynor flew a steady bomb run today. He and Sgt. Rockford in the ball turret are reporting estimates of 75% coverage on the air field. I hope it takes the Jerries longer this time to get those facilities repaired and operational again.

Flak was moderate into and away from the target. But most of it was low and left of us. We got in and out before they could range us and pour it on. One of perks of being in the lead squadron as the trailing squadrons usually get hit harder by the flak barrages.

Landing went smoothly, the ground crew is reporting that the life rafts are shot up and will have to be replaced plus a few patches on the fuselage and one on the wing. MSgt. McMasters is happy that we didn't get his baby all beat up this mission and he can get his repair work completed without staying up all night. I hear there is supposed to be a big poker game in the E-club tonight and McMasters wants in on a piece of the action. He had a big grin on his face when I told him I think we came through relatively unscathed.

Lt. McGarret and Lt. Maynor have had their wounds bandaged and Lt. McGarret is dragging Lt. Maynor off to the O-Club to celebrate making it through their close call and on Russ's fine aim in retaliation. Sgt. Albanese was a little wide-eyed as the medics attended to his injury. As I walked by I heard him telling anyone who would listen "Those SOB's were trying to kill me!"

2nd Lt. Joe Friday, 153rd Bomber Squadron, 281st Bomber Group (H)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those on the tower catch a glimpse of a B-17 lining up to land. One of the officers states the obvious, "Colonel their firing red flares" Pfalzstaff just says "I see Major, Send out the trucks... Who is it?" The major replies "I think it's one of the new kids Sir... Looks like Lt. Costner Sir."

Pfalzstaff thinks to him self "Lord when will this carnage end!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.