Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Baekkelund
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain of the answers, but I want to double check as it was questioned a lot during the gameplay.

1) So, you can take the 3 actions...you can also move ships, make power adjustments and so on...

1a) Can you mix up when you take the 3 actions?... You don't need to take all 3 at the same time, right?... You can move a ship, do an action, move another ship, do an action, and so on, right? 99.9% sure this is the case, but just triple checking...

1b) It says that you stop moving if you take an action...can you take an action (without having moved at all), and THEN move a ship afterwards? (For example, can you take your 3 actions with different ships, then move all 3 ships?) This was under *heavy* dispute during our first gameplay session. (It said in one place that "you don't have to do any of the things you can do in any particular order" but it also said in another spot that "taking an action stops your movement"...I still assume that if you take an action before you move at all, that doesn't mean that you can't move, right?)

2) Is a "Search Action" a Systems Test (if it's for a cloaked ship)?...Seems so. If so, how does it work if done Cooperatively by multiple ships? In other words, if 2 Federation ships want to "Scan for a Cloaked Ship" -- do the sensors for both get added together, do the check, etc.? And each ship has to spend an Action to do so, right?

3) Also, does it seem odd to anyone else that you "Cycle" a Mission but "Discard" a Command Card as different things you can do?...Is there something I'm missing here, but aren't these the same things (in terms of what you actually do)? If not, how so?...if so, using two different terms is unnecessarily confusing, IMO.

Again, fairly certain we got this stuff right, but just want to make sure...1b seems the most major by far. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
1a. Yes
1b. Yes
2. It's a test, so an action. A joint test would require two actions, and yes, sensors get added together.
3. Probably just for clarity sake, as usually you discard from a hand, but missions aren't in your hand. Words are used interchangeably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Baekkelund
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers...A few more quick questions for folks!:

4) So you draw a Command card as soon as you play one, and you can play however many Command cards you want during your turn (such as putting out Crew cards)... Can you play a card you just drew and draw another? In this way, theoretically, if you kept drawing Crew cards, could you just keep putting them out one after another after another (providing you stay within the rules of Crew-types per ship, etc.)?

We had this situation in play #2 where someone played about 7 or so Command cards on one turn by continually getting to play one they just drew, and it started to feel a bit odd...

5) The rule's descriptions of influence actions are a bit confusing...So:
5a) You can put down influence markers on ANY tile, correct?
5b) But you can only put down Installations on "habitable" tiles?...or upgrade ones that already have an Installation?...right? This was confusing (until we realized that some Encounters force an Installation to be put on a tile)...
5c) Also, is an Installation on a tile with NO influence markers from either side considered to be "Friendly"?...or not?

6) Repair: If you Repair to a higher ship condition (say, yellow to white), do you still get to Power Adjust again later (if you didn't previously in the turn)? It seems in that way you sort've get two power adjustments in a sense (but you're spending an Action on the Repair, so doesn't seem too bad).

7) Also, what's the point of a card that has the same text for "Combat" as well as an "Ops" of Interrupt with the exact same stats? It seemed counter-intuitive... (Such as the "Emergency Power" card)

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Generally yes, you draw a card as soon as you play one. Remember there is a restriction that you can only play one card during a systems test so if you drew a crew card after playing the one card you would have to wait until the test is over before you played the crew card.

5a. Yes
5b. Yes, installations can only be built on inhabitable locations. Encounters will place an installation ingore this rule.
5c. Technically that location would be friendly for that empire but the only affect would be to help with influence missions that require a certain number of locations.

6. I believe so since the repair takes an action.

7. Combat cards and Ops cards can be played at different times so that may be the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From what I have read you cannot play an interupt card in combat, so if you after rolling combat want to add 2 to the dice as interupt you cannot but if it had been a system test you could have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.