BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Videogame Board Game Designs - Need Your Votes! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DML GRCade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there guys,

My name is DML and although I am an outsider and first time poster, I do have a small collection of board games, and am a very keen player. I however also run many online games - one of which is for videogamers. In the latest task, I have asked them to design their own indie board games based on video games to make new IPs to release into the board game market, on the back of such releases as 'Gears Of War'.

Voting is currently open, and I am asking the forum to vote on it - but I'd also like some real board game enthuiasts come and have a look at the ideas and give marks here as well. As stated in the thread I am asking for 3pts, 2pts and 1pt for your favourites and -1pt, -2pts and -3pts for your least favourites!

You can vote in this thread rather then privately messaging myself, and I'd be hugely interested to hear your hbonest views. Obviously these guys are videogamers first and foremost, so for many of them the challenge has thrown them massively in the deep end! I do hope you like the ideas - the link is below.

http://www.grcade.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29018&p=2461415#p2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to seem discouraging, because there's some amazing work that has gone into those projects. Please take it as constructively as possible when I say that the ideas all seem to have something rather 'bad' in common - they're trying to recreate the complexity of a video game in a board game. Board game adaptations necessarily have to have streamlined rulesets - you don't have a computer to do all the working out!

I spent about a decade making exactly that mistake, and am only now getting even slightly good at reducing rules to their barest minimum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DML GRCade
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm sure none of them would take offence at that - obviously I have thrown them right in the deep end and none of them are game-makers naturally. If you could vote on the efforts I'd be real pleased.

All constructive criticism is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take note that you absolutely 100% cannot sell a board game based on an existing IP without permission and/or licenses.

Free Print-n-Play Fan stuffs fine. But even then bear in mind there is allways the remote possibility of getting hit with a C&D order. Less remote for some companies than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Steins;Gate Board Game" would get my vote for #1. It tells an interesting story and appears to mechanically represent time manipulation very well.

"Bioshock: Escape from Rapture" would probably be #2. It seems well-thought-out, and explores a fabulous game world.

"From Dust: The Board Game" gets my #3 vote. It looks really neat and fun, but it loses points for using the archaic roll-and-move mechanic.

"Mariokart: The Board Game" has a lot of potential, especially if the designer gets really clever with the layouts of the various boards. But the roll-and-move mechanic really doesn't work in a racing game. One of the interesting things about Mariokart was the differences in the various racers: Toadstool was very fast and had great acceleration, but he handled very poorly, and the slightest nudge would have him spiraling off the road. Bowser had poor acceleration and only decent top speed, but he could handle curves and turns very well, and knew how to take a hit and keep going. The roll-and-move mechanic does not represent these differences well. Bowser could move 11 spaces in two turns while Toadstool moves 5.

"No More Heroes: The Board Game" has a neat theme, but the gameplay is bizarre. It's a light party game with a heavy theme. This causes a disconnect for me.

"Theme Hospital" might be good, but it's hard to tell. The description of the game and gameplay is too unclear for me to really visualize how it all works.

There is a market for games like "Cooking Mama XTREME: The Board Game." It's a pretty light party game with player elimination and a roll-and-move mechanic that families which have only played Monopoly, Risk, and Scrabble will be familiar with. That being said, board gamers with more distinguished tastes will shun much of the mechanical aspects of the game. It's a combination of mechanics that "serious" gamers actively avoid. It would be labeled a "gateway game" and not see a lot of play by people who own more than 10 games.

"Sleepwalkers" is actually a really neat concept. Racing to complete a series of minigames to prevent a sleepwalking kid from hurting himself? Sign me up! This particular iteration is probably unfeasible, though. For one thing, there's no thematic reason to use the roll-and-move mechanic; for another, there's no reason why the dog would complete an entire lap to return to a minigame and attempt to complete it again. Plus the minigame components being actual toys would make the cost of production prohibitively high. I would encourage the designer to study good board game design for a while and return to this idea; there is potential here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.