Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a movement of people changing their country to Spain in order to support a fellow Geek. While I completely understand and give a big thumbsup for rallying around another user, this is causing some trouble when I look for trades.

Is there any other way we can support this user without changing our location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
If you place your cursor over the flag, the city and state will appear (if this information has been entered by the user). I believe that many of Antonio's supporters changed their country to Spain in their profiles, but left their city and state information as is.

My understanding was that the flag campaign was intended to last until the end of February, but apparently some users haven't changed back yet. I changed my flag back on March 1 (to an equally misleading and incorrect one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
nightglider1 is correct that it would still impact the Trade Finder if you limit it to only geeks from your country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've never used that particular trade function. So users outside Spain who are filtering trade searches by country won't find people currently displaying the Spanish flag, while people looking specifically for traders in Spain are going to get a lot of false positives.

I think the latter is probably a rare case, and as for the former, presumably Antonio's supporters are willing to sacrifice some trades to voice their support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For years I've often noted that the web page to set your location info

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekaccount.php?action=editcontact

explicitly says:
Quote:
Out of consideration to users who use this feature to find and trade with gamers in their area, please do not choose a false location.

but this is totally unenforced, many users put obviously bogus locations (for whatever reasons), and I've even noticed an admin put bogus locations.

Is that page's request serious or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
people looking specifically for traders in Spain are going to get a lot of false positives.

I think the latter is probably a rare case

I imagine it's quite useful for actual Spanish people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Racist crap is screwing thing up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it depressing to see how racism impacts us all in unexpected ways? No one who changed their country info did so to interfere with trades- this is ancillary cost. Maybe it can be seen as a metaphor.

Please take some time to speak out against racism. Every day, in all kinds of ways and at every scale, it hurts us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

explicitly says:
Quote:
Out of consideration to users who use this feature to find and trade with gamers in their area, please do not choose a false location.

but this is totally unenforced, many users put obviously bogus locations (for whatever reasons), and I've even noticed an admin put bogus locations.

It's a request. Not a demand. It is possible to be serious but not enforced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
russ wrote:

explicitly says:
Quote:

It's a request. Not a demand. It is possible to be serious but not enforced.

Look out Matt, the guys from the "BJ was wronged" threads will be here soon to complain that you're not enforcing all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.