Subject: Visiting team advantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game today, and we enjoyed it very much. At the end of the eighth inning it was tied up 3-3 - a very realistic baseball score! I managed a victory in the top half of the ninth by playing a Clutch card I had literally saved for that inning since the opening hand. Of course, my opponent claims I merely won by rolling two "3s" out of three rolls!

However, we do feel there's a bias in the game toward the Away team. I just want to make sure we're doing this right.

As we see it, the Advantages for the Home team are:

1. Being able to choose your fielder/batter after seeing the away team's player. Thus you can judge Offense vs Defense scores both way.

2. The usual Home advantage of: if they're ahead, you get one last chance to score.

The Advantages for the Away team are:

1. Being able to draw a card before having to select your player, thus getting an extra chance at matching a card with a player.

2. Being able to see the opposing team's Pitcher before having to select your player, thus being able to check for pitcher's stats on your cards before choosing your batter, as well as left-right batting stance.

We feel (admittedly after only one game) that the Away team's advantages are definitely better. For us, the cards were the heart of the game, and both the Away team's advantages deal with the cards. While the Offense/Defense advantage of the Home team might seem strong, eventually you're going to use nine players each and that's going to balance out.

Have others found this to be true, or are we just imagining things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steffan! I'm glad you enjoyed your first game.
As far as the "rolling two "3s" out of three rolls" is concerned, that is a calculated part of the game. Baseball is about percentages and about the long haul of the season. That's why "series" are emphasized and that management of the team is about getting the best percentages over the course of that series. Sometimes, those percentages don't work out. And sometimes Babe Ruth strikes out, Bob Gibson loses a game and Mariano Rivera blows a save. H&T is all about getting the inning to one or two critical events and then boiling down all the percentages of that inning to a few die rolls. In your case of two "3's", your batter got a clutch hit with men on base by reaching out, keeping his head down and taking a vicious 2-2 curveball and dunking it into short right field. Or whatever. It's all about the percentages and the narrative.

As far as the home/away edge, none of our playtesters commented on that at all. I think you'll find that having the final at bat is a BIG advantage, as is selecting the player to match against the Away player. And don't forget that there are a few homefield advantages with the ballpark cards.

In any case, let us know how you make out as the series continues! Thanks again.
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.