7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Graeff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I'm looking for suggestions for some new games to play. I am into pretty much any game, but looking for games that my wife may like to play as well. She absolutely loves Summoner Wars, because she likes the movement involved with it and that the game has a very Chess-like feel to it, where you need to think several moves ahead and such. The one thing that I would like to try and avoid are games where you need to read too much information on cards and such because English is not her first language, so that makes things a little difficult for her at times.

Other games she likes are Puzzle Strike, Ticket to Ride (which I got on our ipod) and she's ok with Quarriors. She didn't really like Small World, because she thought it was just a little odd and didn't like the general play mechanics of it and Wiz-War was just a little too ready for her, so she didn't like that one much either.

I'm wondering if maybe a Worker Placement game would be good, because she tends to like those kind of games on the iphone and such, but I don't know exactly. I was thinking of trying Dungeon Petz - but think that may be a little too heavy? Any other suggestions for a Worker Placement game, or pretty much any deep strategy game that doesn't involve too much reading? Also, would like to add, would want the games to be easy to explain to her either in word or in showing examples. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragkin wrote:
Hey all, I'm looking for suggestions for some new games to play. I am into pretty much any game, but looking for games that my wife may like to play as well. She absolutely loves Summoner Wars, because she likes the movement involved with it and that the game has a very Chess-like feel to it, where you need to think several moves ahead and such. The one thing that I would like to try and avoid are games where you need to read too much information on cards and such because English is not her first language, so that makes things a little difficult for her at times.

Other games she likes are Puzzle Strike, Ticket to Ride (which I got on our ipod) and she's ok with Quarriors. She didn't really like Small World, because she thought it was just a little odd and didn't like the general play mechanics of it and Wiz-War was just a little too ready for her, so she didn't like that one much either.

I'm wondering if maybe a Worker Placement game would be good, because she tends to like those kind of games on the iphone and such, but I don't know exactly. I was thinking of trying Dungeon Petz - but think that may be a little too heavy? Any other suggestions for a Worker Placement game, or pretty much any deep strategy game that doesn't involve too much reading? Also, would like to add, would want the games to be easy to explain to her either in word or in showing examples. Thanks!

Stone Age is a very good worker placement game that is good for newer gamers as well as seasoned ones.

12 Thieves is a fave of mine in these situations

and if she likes the chess feel then take a look at the top abstracts because there are a few in there that are very good.

Stratego is also a fave of mine... and doesnt get recommended much, so there it is..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love playing these two player games...
Times Square
Battle Line

Also, I just picked up Finca and it plays really well as a 2-player game.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Light but strategical games you might take a look at:
The Battle for Hill 218---once you know the rules, the cards have pics/symbols on them clarifying their respective movements
Sparta---Haven't played it, but it's on my wishlist b/c it's a Chess-like game, and my son and I love Chess and Checkers
Carcassonne---once you get the rules down, you're laying tiles and workers, not too dependent on any rulebook or texts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just saw your post and I have comments on Dungeons Petz, game that I just played yesterday for teh first time with my wife ina a 2p. It is certainly the hardest of my worker placement games (Fresco, pillars of the earth and dungeon petz), but I think the the game is very thematic and that helps understand the game fast. Here are my opinions:

1. The game itself is not hard to understand, the placement of workers is very straight forward with the bidding incorporated (if you put a worker to buy a pet you need at least one imp and one gold (you need money to buy it), if you place workers in the cage slot you need two imps at least as they need to carry it and cages are heavy), etc). How well you bid is the important part.
2.THE HARDEST part for me was explaining the assigning of need cards, evaluating the need cards and then that the need cards are needed for the exhibitions and selling of petz. That is the heavy, puzzle like aspect of the game, specially in the later rounds when you have several petz.
3.- Knowing what the future exhibitions and potential buyers helps you know what strategy you will be trying. Knowing when to sell an animal is very important I think.
4.- The game can feel a bit fidly, specially 2p. I read the rules three times and still got a few minor mistakes with the the things you got to do at the beggining and ending of the turn. So prepare for a first game of relooking at the rules or having one or two minor mistakes. (my mistake was how to handle the mixed food stand when the neutral imp is "in between stands" and I sometimes took waya two addons instead of one).
5.- At the end of the game my wife liked the game (didnt fell in love at first sight like ticket to ride, castles of burgundy, fresco) But I think next time we will play she will love it as the first 3 rounds of the game were more of getting used to the rules and mechanics)

I think you should go ahead and buy dungeon petz, it certainly is the most brain burner of the workerplacement games I got, but we really liked the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Dominion or Thunderstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend Caylus

It is a favorite of my wife and mine, and of course 100% worker placement.

There is no in-game reading whatsoever; all of the tiles just have simple pictures on them that describe what they do (and nothing does anything particularly fancy). It's not about figuring out combos, but about tactical scrambling and resource management.

It is "chesslike" in that it has zero luck, deep strategy and you have to do a lot of detailed planning and thinking ahead (For example each turn you place your workers on different buildings arranged in a certain order. Some give you resources, others require resources to use. Once you are both done placing workers, they resolve in order which means that you need to have done the sequencing right). And you have to constantly react to your opponent's moves.

It is not "chesslike" in that there is no piece movement or any significant positional aspect, but this is true of every worker placement game I have come across. (If this is a priority, perhaps look more at abstracts).

I have not played Dungeon Petz, so I can't compare it to that in any way. Caylus does feel fairly heavy to me, both in the sense that it is reasonably long (2-player takes us about 2 hours, although I have been told that other people play it faster) and in that it is tactically and strategically intense (lots to think about, and highly competitive). I wouldn't exactly call it easy to explain, but neither it is terribly hard. And once you've learned the rules, that's it - there are no cards to read or funny exceptions to learn or anything like that.

In short, it's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.