Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hi,

I am noob to this kind of game and after reading the pathetic rulebook and watching the great pictorial sessions here I still do not understand the roles and functions of the minor heirs mentioned in the title.

Do they come into play when an heir is killed ? Or do they come into play via exile points in the recruitment stages ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the "Pathetic" Rulebook:

4.5 Minor heirs

Both players start the game with three
(3) heirs in play. Absent are cL Ar e n c e and
gLo u c e s t e r for York, and Pr i n c e ed wAr d
and ri c h m o n d for Lancaster. These heirs
are minors when the game starts.
When an heir is killed, the most senior
minor heir enters play (see 6.82) at the
beginning of the next suP P L Y PhAs e. Note
that Pr i n c e ed wAr d is Lancastrian heir #2.

6.82:
6.82 death of an heir
Heirs are permanently eliminated when
killed. The enemy player keeps them offmap as a record of the game.
When an heir is killed, the senior
minor enters play at the beginning of the
next Supply Phase.
Royal heirs enter in any friendly or
vacant Crown area. Pr e t e n d e r heirs enter
in either Exile area.

I don't think it's the rulebook. I think it's a pathetic application of the information inside that is tripping you up. Just sayin'...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx for the hints.

Didn`t know that after a killing of an heir the deployment/substitution starts from this side. I have been thinking that the next available heir from your pool must enter the arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are obviously learning the game, I suggest playing a few turns solo from each side, then go back and reread the entire rulebook. Don't worry about playing well, just "do stuff" that hits you in the gut.

There will be a few "oh yeah!" moments and the game will become clearer in your mind after the rulebook re-read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Yep, would like to do it this way.Since I am short of live opponents I have to play this kind of games solo either way in the future. But I am looking forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL

Learn how to use it. I think this game plays well in this format. You both basically fire up the program, open the Richard III Module, start the game and off you go. The module contains the maps and pieces, but does not enforce any rules, so you have to be mindful of that fact. It's basically an electronic game board you play on.

Using VASSAL in conjuction with a post here and there on BGG in the right forum (PBEM Forum for Richard III, specifically) might find you an opponent.

There are also at least 2 VASSAL groups on Facebook you could try:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/vassalwargamers/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/columbiagames/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/VassalStrategyGamers/

to name 3.

Good Luck! I'd offer a gmae of this but my schedule is sunk at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.