Subject: surfers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eldon Asher
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Played this game and was a little confussed with end round scoring with surfers in the mix. If I have surfers all they do is reduce the large number on the round indicator, how does this work with the bonus between 1st and 2nd and meeting the minimum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes no difference. Yo uearn the same number of VPs. Surfers just lower the minimum shells/fish you need to qualify for end of round scoring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use surfers you're probably more likely to end up with the third bonus as players not using surfers (and still qualifying for the bonus) are more likely to beat you for first and second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldon Asher
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thank you just as I though I still need to get as many cash takens as possible to get the end of round bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EldonAsher wrote:
Thank you just as I though I still need to get as many cash takens as possible to get the end of round bonus.

hmm...no

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
here's how you score it:

1. Eliminate all players who didn't reach the minimum
2. Of the remaining players, whoever has the most shells/fish gets 1st place, 2nd most gets 2nd place, and the rest get 3rd place. Surfers don't help you here, they just help you get past step 1.

Note that if none of the other players reach the minimum, you can collect the 1st place bonus using surfers, even if you have less shells/fish than the printed number on the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldon Asher
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks that makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/770435/surfers

One of the comments was this:

FabienC wrote:
Inge wrote:
Small question:

I played this wonderful game already a few times but there has always been a discussion about the influence the sufer tile has on the scoring at the end of a round.
Assume we are with 4 players and the large number on the round indicater is 13.
- player one has gained 14 with his price and fish tokens and doesn't possess any surfer tile
- player two also gained 14 with his price and fish tokens and does possess a surfer tile of +2
- player three gained 13 with his price and fish tokens and does possess a surfer tile of +4
- player four gained 13 and doesn't possess any surfer tile.

Who has the highest sum and scores the points shown at the round indicator under the 1? Is there a tie between player 1 and 2 or does the surfer break the tie?

If you look closely, the surfers are not +2 or +4, they are -2 and -4. That means that they do not get added to your total, but they help you by lowering the requirement to get points.

Therefore, in your example there is a tie at 14 for player 1 and 2, just like Garry said.

Is there an official clarification on this? The "-2" and "-4" reading of it makes sense.

This came up in our game:

Player 1: -2, -4, -2 (surfers)
Player 2: no surfers

Last Round: 17 = target

Player 2 had collected shells to a value of 15.
Player 1 had collected shells to a value of 12.

So in my reading neither one made the "round number" of 17. However, player 1 had made the target of "17 - 8 = 9". Since, Player 1 made the target, they were given the "check-mark" of 6 points but not the 1st place points for "round number" target of 17.

My interpretation is different from:

Faranim wrote:
here's how you score it:

1. Eliminate all players who didn't reach the minimum
2. Of the remaining players, whoever has the most shells/fish gets 1st place, 2nd most gets 2nd place, and the rest get 3rd place. Surfers don't help you here, they just help you get past step 1.

Note that if none of the other players reach the minimum, you can collect the 1st place bonus using surfers, even if you have less shells/fish than the printed number on the tile.

Which is correct?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usagi-san wrote:
This came up in our game:

Player 1: -2, -4, -2 (surfers)
Player 2: no surfers

Last Round: 17 = target

Player 2 had collected shells to a value of 15.
Player 1 had collected shells to a value of 12.

So in my reading neither one made the "round number" of 17. However, player 1 had made the target of "17 - 8 = 9". Since, Player 1 made the target, they were given the "check-mark" of 6 points but not the 1st place points for "round number" target of 17.

Player 1 made the target (which is 9 because of his surfers), and he had the most value of cost markers among those who made the target. So he gets the first place points. Why wouldn't he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt tolman
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Look for my first published game, Undermining! Coming soon from Z-man games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you meet the target (with or without surfers), and have more points than everyone else who made the target, I'm pretty sure you get the first place points. That's how it works online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bunny
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody. Playing it online on yucata.de helps a lot with the scoring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.