Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the base game, but I'm unsure whether it's worth it to buy expansion teams. After all, you still use the same offence and defence decks provided in the base game, right?

I've read that each team is different in terms of dice, but does it really change the strategies of the plays? Can you give me an example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
I love the base game, but I'm unsure whether it's worth it to buy expansion teams. After all, you still use the same offence and defence decks provided in the base game, right?

I've read that each team is different in terms of dice, but does it really change the strategies of the plays? Can you give me an example?
Caveat: I have not played with any of the expansion dice, so take this as the theoretical discussion as which it is meant.

The expansion teams add another layer of "out-thinking" to the game. Think about this: if your team is considerably better at one style of plays (pass or run) than the other, which are you more likely to call more of, regardless of whether the situation would normally warrant it? On the other hand, if you know your opponent is considerably better at one style of plays than the other, which kind of defense are you more like to call? Now back to the offense: your opponent knows you're better at one style of play than the other, so do you call against your strength, hoping to catch the defense off-guard? Or do you bluff the bluff and call to your strength, hoping that your opponent will out-think himself?

Let's face it: 90% of the plays in any given team's playbook are essentially variations on the same basic themes, and those themes are (at least to my mind) relatively well-implemented in the offense and defense decks. What matters is the personnel that any given team has, which will determine how well they execute one style of play over another, which in turn determines what plays they call during a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you keep track of the different expansion dice? Is there a symbol on them somewhere that says they belong to Team A?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
How do you keep track of the different expansion dice? Is there a symbol on them somewhere that says they belong to Team A?

Exactly. On each die there is one symbol signifying the team they represent. I cut out the packaging as a quick reference and keep with the game.

If you zoom in on the 'original' setting
you'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fardoche wrote:

I have played with the expansions and have written a few reviews on them. I can honestly say they are worth getting as there is more strategy to be had when facing off against a different team. An example would be to find out the other team's weakest die / dice (you can have a scouting session where you choose one set of dice, running or passing, and just check them over) and play your defensive strategies so that there is more chance of them having to use that particular die. If they are a great running team (brown, ivory and red) but not so good with the passing game (green, blue and yellow) then you can try and force them to use passing dice even when they select a running play (even though the brown, ivory and red dice are primarily used for running, the right defensive call will mean one or more of the passing dice will be used) This is one of my favourite games and getting the expansions has made a notable difference so I would advise getting t least one division just to see how you like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.