Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When resolving the Attack the Dragon action, the rule book states on page 5...

Quote:
If a player rolls 3 or more Dragon icons on their attack, they suffer 1 wound...

...meaning the hero will never suffer more than 1 wound during each Attack the Dragon action.

However, the player mat states:

Quote:
The roll of 3 dragon icons when attacking results in 1 wound to the hero

Not remembering what the rule book stated, we followed what's written on the player mat and interpreted it as the hero receives 1 wound for every 3 dragon icons rolled, meaning a hero could suffer 2 wounds if 6+ dragon icons are rolled during each Attack the Dragon action.

I'm inclined to believe the rule book's correct, but I'm not certain. Which rule is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This is one of those situations that I doubt would ever happen, a hero suffering 2 wounds on a single attack. That would require 6 dice to come up dragons. I have never seen anyone even come close in all the games I have played, but I would rule that if a player rolled 6 Dragon icons while attacking the dragon they would suffer 2 wounds (1 wound for each set of 3).

Keep in mind, that when attacking the Dragon a player must make their initial attack roll, but re-rolls are not required. I would think if a player rolled 3 Dragon icons on their initial attack roll, they would not push their luck with additional re-rolls. In fact, this is a good strategy for players that are running for the exit - block the players that want to slay the dragon from gaining the Attack the Dragon Action (at least some of the time)and then blow your attack or make sure you only gain 1 hit. Keep the big hitters (Barbarian, Dwarf, and Elf all have major attack cards) from dominating the attacks and a run strategy has a better chance of succeeding.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Richard. In fact, this would likely only occur on the first roll, which is mandatory, since as soon as a player rolls at least 4 dragon icons, it's impossible (without using cards) to roll 4 successes. So there would be nothing to gain from re-rolling.

Oh, that's a great strategy tip! I hadn't thought to waste an Attack the Dragon action just to prevent those bent on slaying the dragon from having another opportunity to attack it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
This is one of those situations that I doubt would ever happen

I played my first game of this yesterday, and it happened. The poor Paladin was so set on taking the Dragon out, he didn't realize the Mage was brewing a luck spell to ruin his attack.

6 dragon icons was the result devil

Mysterio wrote:
Oh, that's a great strategy tip! I hadn't thought to waste an Attack the Dragon action just to prevent those bent on slaying the dragon from having another opportunity to attack it.

As it turns out, the Mage did just that on the same turn he ruined the Paladin's attack. It was quite a play. Mage botched attack roll, then forced said Paladin to fall on his own sword laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

This is one of those situations that I doubt would ever happen, a hero suffering 2 wounds on a single attack. That would require 6 dice to come up dragons. I have never seen anyone even come close in all the games I have played, but I would rule that if a player rolled 6 Dragon icons while attacking the dragon they would suffer 2 wounds (1 wound for each set of 3).

Thanks - Richard

Greetings,

Funny enough on our very first play of this game on Friday night my 10 year old rolled 6 dragons. Though he rolled 2 on his initial roll and then 4 on his next roll(so not quite all 6 in one turn). As he had 6 total we played that he took 2 wounds.

Heh, sometimes I love randomness....

- Raider30
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.