Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it might be fun to try once or twice, but would easily end up being over powered. Medusa, for example, could completely freeze an island out indefinitely. If there were some way to check the power to control them forever (maybe an ability attached to a god, likely Zeus) it could work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I agree that they are a bit weak in the base game. But Hades deals with it. You can discard a priestess card to keep the figurine on the board. You can't move it to another island though. That might be overpowered indeed.

I also like the fact that you don't have enough priestess cards to keep the figurine for the whole game. Which might be possible - at least for a long period - if you could keep it for only 2 coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding a card is a better penalty. If you wanted to implement that in the base game, you could say you discard a priest instead of paying 2 gold. 2 gold can be a lot, or trivial, depending on the player's situation, but a priest would always hurt. And if other players gunned it for Zeus, it would quickly become prohibitive.

I do think this house rule would also not have as much impact in a 5P game, but could easily break a 2p game in half. I don't really like Cyclades 2p, but the point stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
A good way to avoid an indefinitely freeze by Medusa, is the possibility to kill Medusa with any other creatures with figure, discarding both creature.

It is by the way the official rule cf. FAQ
Quote:
14. Minotaur/Medusa/Chiron/Polyphemus

When a player buys these creatures, they will stay on the board until the beginning of this player's next turn, or until they are discarded by placing another one of these creatures on the same island.

As an example you can hire the Minotaur and place it in the same island that Medusa resulting of the the two creature killing each other. You discard immediately the two creatures.

In addition, it should be forbidden to pay 2 gold upkeep for a creature if you are in Apollo. Indeed you should not be able to use mythological creature with Apollo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Cyclopes created Hades's helmet of darkness that was given to Perseus on his quest to kill Medusa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.