Jimo
United Kingdom
Winchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... before or after the discard?

My gaming group's interpretation of the rules is that you shuffle as soon as your deck is empty. So if you sprint your last card into your hand, you then shuffle a new deck and THEN you discard. This means that nasty lineman you discarded isn't in the new deck.

The only rule we could find said "each time a manager's team deck becomes depleted, he shuffles his discard pile and places it facedown to form a new team deck" (page 8). We couldn't find it in the FAQ so we thought we better interpret the rule literally.

An off-topic discussion I was having in another thread about this suggested that we may not be right about this rule.

Does anyone know for sure about this?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Swartout
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was exactly how I handled it when this happened in my last game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renuncln wrote:
That was exactly how I handled it when this happened in my last game.

I would rule in this instance that you have to complete one action before you move on to another. Because you used Sprinting to draw the last card, but part of the action of Sprinting is discarding a card from your hand, you have to do it before shuffling your deck. I really have no rules basis for this except for the fact that it only makes sense that you complete one action in most games before performing another action.

I also prefer this because it can make Sprinting a slight gamble when you only have one card left in the deck but can sprint two or three times. It's a little bit more fun when you Sprint, draw the last card, but aren't sure if you should Sprint again because you MIGHT draw that crappy lineman you put back in your deck. Removing that tension makes Sprinting less risky and more mechanical, which I don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott L
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
I would rule in this instance that you have to complete one action before you move on to another. Because you used Sprinting to draw the last card, but part of the action of Sprinting is discarding a card from your hand, you have to do it before shuffling your deck. I really have no rules basis for this except for the fact that it only makes sense that you complete one action in most games before performing another action.

This is exactly how I interpret the order of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
crazeenca wrote:
SparkingConduit wrote:

This is exactly how I interpret the order of play.

I concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimo
United Kingdom
Winchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I think I've changed my mind now. We'll complete the sprint action before shuffling. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Streetsmart Dan
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reshuffle condition is not when your draw pile is empty. The rulebook says to reshuffle when you are required to draw a card, but cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimo
United Kingdom
Winchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
streetsmartdan wrote:
The reshuffle condition is not when your draw pile is empty. The rulebook says to reshuffle when you are required to draw a card, but cannot.

The rules state:

"Important: Each time a manager’s Team deck becomes depleted, he shuffles his discard pile and places it facedown to form a new Team deck, and then continues drawing if necessary."

When "depleted"! Nothing about waiting until you need to draw a card. Maybe you're thinking of Dominion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.