Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Olsen
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing a few games we ran in to an interesting conflict of terminology dealing with the "Mist Body" card.

The text of the card is as follows (with some key points bolded):

Quote:
You evaporate into mist. While this spell lasts, you can pass through anything but stone walls and stone blocks. You cannot attack or be attacked.

Touched objects and treasures turn to mist, so you may pick up and carry objects and treasures as usual.

There are quite a few cards that include the text:

Quote:
This spell is not an attack and cannot be evaded.

The "Mist Body" card is one that can be argued as "thematically, how can you damage mist?" However, the card does not say "you cannot be damaged", just "you cannot be attacked".

In the following cases, does a Wizard with "Mist Body" cast take damage:

1) Adjacent to a wall destroyed by "Destroy Wall".

2) Being caught in a "Psychic Storm".

3) Entering a square with a "Thornbush" or "Rosebush".

4) A "Lightning Bolt" passing through a Wizard, while it is an attack spell you do not "attack" (target) a Wizard.

For the the first two, I would say: yes, you take the damage due to the "not an attack and cannot be evaded" text.

The third one can be explained by text "you can pass through anything", thus allowing a Wizard to "pass through" the bush without being affected by it.

The fourth is rather tricky and I would like some feed back.

Any other thoughts on any of these examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
i think lightning should affect water!!!

when in doubt, do what makes thematic sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malklavious wrote:

4) A "Lightning Bolt" passing through a Wizard, while it is an attack spell you do not "attack" (target) a Wizard.

For the the first two, I would say: yes, you take the damage due to the "not an attack and cannot be evaded" text.

The third one can be explained by text "you can pass through anything", thus allowing a Wizard to "pass through" the bush without being affected by it.

Why would you take damage from a falling wall (remember, you can pass through walls) and not take damage from a thornbush?

Thematically, I'd say:

(1) No
(2) Yes
(3) No
(4) Yes

From a rules lawyer perspective...

(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Yes
(4) Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Olsen
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why would you take damage from a falling wall (remember, you can pass through walls) and not take damage from a thornbush?

You can't pass through walls:

Quote:
You evaporate into mist. While this spell lasts, you can pass through anything but stone walls and stone blocks. You cannot attack or be attacked.

Thematically I would say the damage from "Destroy wall" is the explosion, not the rubble collapse. Open to debate, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpret "you can't be attacked" to mean "you cannot be affected by attack spells". Everything seems pretty cut-and-dried with that interpretation.

And since you can pass through objects, I take that to mean that rose bushes and the like do not harm you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
malklavious wrote:
While playing a few games we ran in to an interesting conflict of terminology dealing with the "Mist Body" card.

The text of the card is as follows (with some key points bolded):

Quote:

Touched objects and treasures turn to mist, so you may pick up and carry objects and treasures as usual.

There are quite a few cards that include the text:

Quote:
This spell is not an attack and cannot be evaded.

The "Mist Body" card is one that can be argued as "thematically, how can you damage mist?" However, the card does not say "you cannot be damaged", just "you cannot be attacked".

We've been discussing this a bit. In the most general sense (thematically), I think that board effects, bushes, and attacks have no effect on you (Thorn Bush or Fireball, for example), but Walls and non-targeted spells will still affect you (Wall of Fire) since they block the entire corridor or affect everything on the gameboard. Under these conditions, # 1 and #3 have no effect on you, but 2 and 4 would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Olsen
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply, Tom!

Hopefully this will make it into the official FAQ so when I'm running this at PolyCon I have something official to refer to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, it made it into the newly posted FAQ (v1.1) but their answers are basically exactly opposite of Tom's.

Quote:

Q. Can a wizard under the effect of “Mist Body” be damaged?

A. Yes. The wizard cannot be attacked and does not suffer damage from attacks, but can be damaged from other causes. For example, “Destroy Wall” can damage a wizard under the effect of “Mist Body” because it is not an attack, but “Psychic Storm” cannot.

I'm not sure their definition of the word "psychic" and mine match up. Apparently turning your brain to mist negates that somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azure blue
msg tools
Not Sure wrote:
Well, it made it into the newly posted FAQ (v1.1) but their answers are basically exactly opposite of Tom's.

Quote:

Q. Can a wizard under the effect of “Mist Body” be damaged?

A. Yes. The wizard cannot be attacked and does not suffer damage from attacks, but can be damaged from other causes. For example, “Destroy Wall” can damage a wizard under the effect of “Mist Body” because it is not an attack, but “Psychic Storm” cannot.

I'm not sure their definition of the word "psychic" and mine match up. Apparently turning your brain to mist negates that somehow.

If FAQ[1.1] is true, can the wizard under the effect of mist body avoid the damage of Lightning Bolt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any answers yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.