Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
264 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: The BJ Lillo Memorial Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: complaint [+] constant_state_of_purge [+] geekletion [+] [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Social-network Darwinism.

Hey Matthew!

Since you broke your own moderation guidelines and openly discussed the particulars of a BGG member's moderation, lets discuss the comment above from this vicious little Englishman...

Is it okay to now just post anything we want about BJ and Brian since they are gone? Like Frank La Terra and Barnes gone I mean. If I posted this - That fucking Barnes is a moron and the fact that he was eliminated is social Darwinism - I wouldn't be violating policy because Barnes was perma-banned by Aldie. Right? And since Frank left on his own, calling him a cocksucking little Aussie twit can't be actionable because, well, there is no Frank La Terra here.

Just need clarifications because I know you want to be fair and all and the comment from Fwing (does that stand for FuckWing? I'm just asking because that's what I always hear in my head when I see your posts) is a personal attack on two people who may or may not be protected by posting guidelines. They have paid a lot of money to BGG though and even if they are no longer "privileged" to be a part of this site I kind of thought maybe you'd want to curb these sorts of attacks.

As for Randy and his passive/aggressive attack on Moshe:

Quote:

I don't see what you expect to find with this line of questioning, Tailgunner Joe.

I also have a question - since you suspended me once for what you called a passive/aggressive violation, if I had added a smiley emoticon after calling someone "Tailgunner Joe" would that have made it all okay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
Excellent. Everything is going as planned. Today, BGG, tomorrow...THE WORLD!

Bwahahahah! Bwahahahahah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Fwing wrote:
Social-network Darwinism.

Hey Matthew!

Since you broke your own moderation guidelines and openly discussed the particulars of a BGG member's moderation, lets discuss the comment above from this vicious little Englishman...

Is it okay to now just post anything we want about BJ and Brian since they are gone? Like Frank La Terra and Barnes gone I mean. If I posted this - That fucking Barnes is a moron and the fact that he was eliminated is social Darwinism - I wouldn't be violating policy because Barnes was perma-banned by Aldie. Right? And since Frank left on his own, calling him a cocksucking little Aussie twit can't be actionable because, well, there is no Frank La Terra here.

Just need clarifications because I know you want to be fair and all and the comment from Fwing (does that stand for FuckWing? I'm just asking because that's what I always hear in my head when I see your posts) is a personal attack on two people who may or may not be protected by posting guidelines. They have paid a lot of money to BGG though and even if they are no longer "privileged" to be a part of this site I kind of thought maybe you'd want to curb these sorts of attacks.

As for Randy and his passive/aggressive attack on Moshe:

Quote:

I don't see what you expect to find with this line of questioning, Tailgunner Joe.

I also have a question - since you suspended me once for what you called a passive/aggressive violation, if I had added a smiley emoticon after calling someone "Tailgunner Joe" would that have made it all okay?

First explain how my post is a personal attack on anyone.
Second explain how you can describe anyone else as vicious without imploding from hypocrisy overload.
I see you referenced my nationality again so it's clear I get under your skin. Not that it wasn't obvious from your frothing, off-target swipe in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Don't get yourself suspended again, Tripp.

By the way, as I mentioned above, BJ had deleted almost all his content several weeks ago, and had no intention of ever coming back to BGG.

Having pretty much written off BGG, he also probably didn't pay any attention to whenever the stupid suspension was supposed to expire.

I doubt he was trying to get around a suspension, because he had pretty much self-suspended anyway. He might not have even known (or cared) whether his suspension period was over or not.

That was my point. He made the chidler account specifically to make fun of chiddler, at the behest of several users. It was never meant to get around any site rules, and I'm sure when he posted yesterday he was more interested in making fun of chiddler than trying to work around the system. And I suspect that Matthew very well knows it, he's just found a convenient way to get rid of someone he finds troublesome. I can't wait for my turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Octavian wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Admittedly I was not asking about only this one specific violation type. Both BJ and Koldie are/were self-identified conservatives. Have any self-identified Liberals been permanently banned for RSP activity in say the last year?

This is the only violation that results in indefinite suspensions. All others are temporary.

-MMM

Has a self-identified liberal then ever been permanently banned for this type of violation? It would seem surprising if none had ever before done such a thing.
Why all the questioning about an action with such a small sample space? Plus, if you DID happen to find that more orange people than purple people were being indefinitely suspended, that could mean that, a) you don't have enough data, b) an outlying statistic was seen, or c) orange people are bigger pricks than purple people.

1. Since I actually have taught basic statistical analysis at a university level, I'm well aware 2 does not make a pattern nor did I claim that it did. If you don't see the point of my questions, that is your own problem. To others, the point seems fairly obvious I would think.

One cannot judge a question harshly merely because its answer is not clear-cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
It was never meant to get around any site rules

But that's how it was used.
You pays your money you takes your chance.
/shrug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
And since Frank left on his own, calling him a cocksucking little Aussie twit can't be actionable because, well, there is no Frank La Terra here.

You need to get back up to speed, old-timer.

Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools

He's been pretty active of late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
It was never meant to get around any site rules

But that's how it was used.
You pays your money you takes your chance.
/shrug.

No it wasn't. He used it to make a post mocking chiddler's style, like he always intended to. I'm sure he forgot that he couldn't do that while banned, when I heard about it from BJ he seemed surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

No it wasn't. He used it to make a post (while suspended) mocking chiddler's style, like he always intended to. I'm sure he forgot that he couldn't do that while banned, when I heard about it from BJ he seemed surprised.

FTFY. Unless you're asserting he didn't post while suspended in which case clearly something fishy is going on.

I don't care whether the rules are fair or if the mods have any discretion. I've served suspensions for violating rules I was unaware of. I didn't cry about it though.

And isn't ALL of this moot when BJ was leaving anyway?
It's a shame and all. But there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

No it wasn't. He used it to make a post (while suspended) mocking chiddler's style, like he always intended to. I'm sure he forgot that he couldn't do that while banned, when I heard about it from BJ he seemed surprised.

FTFY. Unless you're asserting he didn't post while suspended in which case clearly something fishy is going on.

I don't care whether the rules are fair or if the mods have any discretion. I've served suspensions for violating rules I was unaware of. I didn't cry about it though.

That'd be fine, if we had anything like blanket enforcement of the rules, but we don't. Matthew enforces the rules when he feels like it, and then hides behind the anonymous flagging system and the letter of the law when he catches any flak. Mind you, I'm not saying he's a coward, because that would be name calling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

That'd be fine, if we had anything like blanket enforcement of the rules, but we don't. Matthew enforces the rules when he feels like it, and then hides behind the anonymous flagging system and the letter of the law when he catches any flak. Mind you, I'm not saying he's a coward, because that would be name calling.

Oh right I thought the rules were enforced when the red X was clicked by users.
I guess I'm just naive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Matthew enforces the rules when he feels like it

If that were true, Dave, then neither Brian nor BJ would have been suspended, because I didn't feel like doing either one. I consider them both friends. BJ and I had been talking about getting together to game if business brings him out my way. I make a point to set aside time to have breakfast with Brian at least once every BGG.Con he attends.

These are friendships that may very well be damaged now. This was something I certainly didn't feel like doing.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I guess I'm just naive.

How many users have to flag a post? Who decides if it is worthy of punishment? Is there any penalty for excessive flagging or flagging that appears to be passive-aggressively lashing out at someone? Who would have flagged BJ's chidler post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Quote:
Matthew enforces the rules when he feels like it

If that were true, Dave, then neither Brian nor BJ would have been suspended, because I didn't feel like doing either one. I consider them both friends. BJ and I had been talking about getting together to game if business brings him out my way. I make a point to set aside time to have breakfast with Brian at least once every BGG.Con he attends.

These are friendships that may very well be damaged now. This was something I certainly didn't feel like doing.

-MMM

I used to believe you when you'd say stuff like this, Matt. I don't anymore, because over and over again I see you hiding behind the rules when it's convenient and ignoring them when it's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Fwing wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I guess I'm just naive.

How many users have to flag a post? Who decides if it is worthy of punishment? Is there any penalty for excessive flagging or flagging that appears to be passive-aggressively lashing out at someone? Who would have flagged BJ's chidler post?

Well you're the one who knows how it really is - you tell me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

As their lawyer, I advise them to un-ban Koldfoot & bjlillo, and we all agree to never speak of this again. (And at next BGG.CON, each of us here gets one free shot at punching Brian & BJ in the nuts for being so goddamn stupid.) And from now on, the admins give up on trying to apply rules fairly, and switch to a formal policy of that's right; fuck you.

The cool part is that when they invariably fail to take your legal advice in this regard? They're effectively applying it directly to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't know what was said... but RSP is a seperate forum precisely because of the level of heat those topics generate.

So when I see someone get banned for bringing heat in the RSP forum, it's a little like punishing elephants for eating peanuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Second explain how you can describe anyone else as vicious without imploding from hypocrisy overload.
I see you referenced my nationality again so it's clear I get under your skin. Not that it wasn't obvious from your frothing, off-target swipe in the first place.

Well, Fwing... according to Matthew passive/aggressive flames or attacks are actionable offenses. Your comment seemed like a passive/aggressive reference to the weakest link being eliminated. Weak Link implies defective.

As for your nationality, I am always amused here on BGG by the intense interest Englishmen, Aussies and Germans have in American politics. Ya'll seem to have an opinion on every aspect of life here and it's usually a negative opinion. Personally, I like England. I lived and worked there for 2 years and for the following 15 years I traveled to both the UK and Europe on business half a dozen times a year.

Furthermore, some of my favorite music came from the UK (Beatles, Savoy Brown, Cream, Herman and the Hermits, etc.) and the English spawn top-notch motorcycle racers, make beautiful cars and created one of the best shows ever on TV in the long-running Top Gear show. On a whole, I like England and English people, I just wish the women had better teeth and maybe a bit more chin.

I didn't mention our friends up in America Junior because I understand their interest in American politics. They need to know what's going on down here so they are hip to what to wear, what to think, who to hate and whether or not they are close to being invaded by a superior military. To them America is where all the wonderful shit happens and it's the place where all their good comedians, actors and musicians go when they abandon Canada.

Drew ~ Why would I be suspended for discussing moderation tactics? I'm not attacking anyone. Do I need to re-read the posting guidelines? I'm confused. I'll go re-read them and see if I can figure out what you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
I don't know what was said... but RSP is a seperate forum precisely because of the level of heat those topics generate.

RSP is a separate forum so it can be easily avoided by the vast majority of users who want nothing to do with such topics on a gaming site. It's a quarantine zone. Not a battle arena.

The same rules as the rest of the site still apply. If folks want to say anything they want about politics or religion or what have you there are plenty of other places on the internet to do that. I much prefer people go to facebook RSP group than bring it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Octavian wrote:
These are friendships that may very well be damaged now.

I don't think there's a question about that.

But it was worth it, right? Screwing over your so-called friends for the sake of some imaginary internet principle?

Friendships, real people, real lives, . . . these come and go but the dignity of the internet must be maintained!

Wait. You're saying he should play favorites when doing his job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
whac3 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Octavian wrote:
These are friendships that may very well be damaged now.

I don't think there's a question about that.

But it was worth it, right? Screwing over your so-called friends for the sake of some imaginary internet principle?

Friendships, real people, real lives, . . . these come and go but the dignity of the internet must be maintained!

Wait. You're saying he should play favorites when doing his job?

Which is funny, because he's been accused of playing favorites in the past. Choose one, favorites or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I much prefer people go to facebook RSP group than bring it here.

Those interested should contact me by GM. The group is unmoderated but I administer it. Though it's never come up, I do just ask no spamming the board and no explicitly racist remarks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This is how I imagine most people who get banned for using an alt account/sock puppet feel when posting during a heated thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

Well, Fwing... according to Matthew passive/aggressive flames or attacks are actionable offenses. Your comment seemed like a passive/aggressive reference to the weakest link being eliminated. Weak Link implies defective.

"Seems" and "implies"? Pretty thin.

Maybe it was just a play on words regarding "Social Darwinism" which is something right-wingers are accused of being fond of, and "social network" which I believe you described BGG as (a description I don't agree with but that's not relevant).
And all it "implied" was not being well-adapted to the environment.

I'm sitting here smugly enjoying my oh-so-clever play on words. No need to wear yourself out looking to be outraged by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:
bippi wrote:

RSP is a separate forum so it can be easily avoided by the vast majority of users who want nothing to do with such topics on a gaming site. It's a quarantine zone. Not a battle arena.

The same rules as the rest of the site still apply. If folks want to say anything they want about politics or religion or what have you there are plenty of other places on the internet to do that. I much prefer people go to facebook RSP group than bring it here.

Why do you suppose they would want nothing to do with those topics on a gaming site?

(I'm asking rhetorically to prove a point here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.