Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Al-Nakba: The Palestinian War of 1948 : Suggestions for Games, Books and DVD's ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the best wargames, books and DVD's about the War that took place in Palestine in 1948 following the end of the British Mandate ?

EDIT: This thread is about positive and constructive discussions concerning games, books and DVD's only. If you want to venture beyond this, create your own thread concerning the "palestine-israel-arab situation" (or whatever YOU want to call it) in the appropriate forum. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is the best but The Arab-Israeli Wars is a good game. It uses an updated version of the Panzer Leader/PanzerBlitz System
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Hit has an ASL module for that war: Genesis 48: The First Arab-Israeli War

I've not played it. Beware that many CH ASL modules have tons of errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This is the game that came to mind when I read the subject line:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The First Arab-Israeli War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
I don't know if it is the best but The Arab-Israeli Wars is a good game. It uses an updated version of the Panzer Leader/PanzerBlitz System

The Arab-Israeli Wars is a good game but it does not cover the 1948 conflict, only the 1956, 1967, and 1973 conflicts plus a couple of "future" conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
charlieturtle wrote:

The Arab-Israeli Wars is a good game but it does not cover the 1948 conflict, only the 1956, 1967, and 1973 conflicts plus a couple of "future" conflicts.

I stand corrected. It's been a few years since I've pulled out the game, but I should have remembered that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for books, I've always liked this one, which covers the '48, '56, '67, and '73 wars in some detail from the Israeli perspective:

"The Arab Israeli Wars", by Chaim Herzog

I haven't yet run across a good account from the Arab perspective in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Pariseau wrote:

Hmm.

Most assessments of this game are not very enthusiastic ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Israeli Independence
Founder of the States of Siege dynasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Critical Hit has an ASL module for that war: Genesis 48: The First Arab-Israeli War

I would be more interested in a self-contained game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good book by a revisionist historian.

BYW, you do realize that calling the 1948 War "Al-Nakba" is a politically charged statement..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:

BYW, you do realize that calling the 1948 War "Al-Nakba" is a politically charged statement..

Not more nor less then calling these events a "War for Independence".

[ EDIT: In a war, each OPPOSING side labels historical events as THEY choose fit. Wargamers are used to this. For example, "Operation Barbarossa" for the Germans, vs "The Great Patriotic War" for the Russians. Playing a game called Lebensraum does not necessarily mean the players agree that the nazis had a legitimate reason to expand by force towards the east ... ]

I realize I am more ignorant about the in's and out's of all this then I should be.

I am interested in understanding the beginning of this: not only 1948, but what came before.

Intuitively, if there is so much conflict still going on 70 years later, one might suppose that maybe the whole project did not start on the right footing to begin with.

Not that I think it was wrong to envision a country for individuals of the jewish faith / ethnic nationality.

Is it possible that this could have been done differently ?

This is what I would like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evanbrooks wrote:

I just looked up this book and the author on the Internet.

Seems certainly interesting: I will probably read this book.

I would like to hear about information coming from all sides.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This conflict has historical roots in the Cold War, the Second World War, the First World War, the Ottoman Empire, the expansion of Islam, the Roman Empire, the expansion of Christianity and the Biblic times.

All the favorite wargamer topics except the ACW and Nappy.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
evanbrooks wrote:

Not more nor less then calling these events a "War for Independence".

Referring to the creation of a country as a "catastrophe" in the language of those who tried to annihilate it is certainly more politically charged than "War for Independence", which is a fairly standard way to describe the formative conflicts of any country whose creation involved violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaney wrote:
Israeli Independence
Founder of the States of Siege dynasty.

Great suggestion !

I will order it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Referring to the infallible, primary source Wikipedia,

"Roughly half of the 1948 Palestinian exodus, often referred to as al-Nakba (Arabic: النكبة‎, literally "The Catastrophe"), occurred amidst this war."

This is repeated in a separate Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Palestinian_exodus

Googling up some other sources we find:

http://middleeast.about.com/od/israelandpalestine/f/me080511...

Which states:
"Question: What Is al-Naqba, or al-Nakba - The Catastrophe?
May 14, 1948 marks Israel's declaration of independence. To Israelis, it's a day of celebration. For Palestinians and Arabs, May 14, 1948 marks a day of rage they call al-Naqba, Arabic for "the Catastrophe." What is al-Naqba, or al-Nakba, and how do Palestinians mark the proudest day in Israeli history?
Answer: By the time Israel declared is independence in May 1948, a civil war was raging in Palestine. Palestinians and Arabs had rejected a United Nations plan to partition the country between Jews and Palestinians. Arabs from Jordan, Egypt, Syria and Iraq joined Palestinians to battle against Jews, who by then had sustained a huge influx of Jewish immigration for more than 30 years--long enough to establish a de-facto state.

Israel's Declaration of Independence was the culmination of what, in retrospect, looked inevitable--the establishment of an independent Jewish state, made up of the Jewish diaspora, and the triggering of a new, Palestinian diaspora."

They do not mention that the the "United Nations plan" was United Nations approved. Also not mentioned is the offer by Israel to allow the "Palestinians" to stay in Israel. They left on their own accord. Those who remained, and their descendants, enjoy full citizenship and the rights associated with it. Hey, even that most authoritative research source, Wikipedia, says something about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_citizens_of_Israel

So, to summarize, it does not appear to be correct to refer to "Al-Nakba" as a war. Also, maybe in the future people in Londonistan will refer to July 4, 1776 as "Al-Nakba."

So, release the Krakens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said Krakens, not Kittens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, only two books suggested so far ?

How about movies / documentaries / DVD's ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exodus. 1958 novel and 1960 film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a great book about 1948 war by a British officer shortly afterwards (Suez hadn't happened by the time of the book): The Arab-Israeli War, by Edgar O'Ballance. He is mostly somewhat irritated by both sides for their zealous elements and annoyed that the British-officered Jordanian forces didn't do better. But it is written primarily as a military history & is good for that, which is what wargamers are after rather than the boring who was morally right discussion, which is what RSP is for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
I have a great book about 1948 war by a British officer shortly afterwards (Suez hadn't happened by the time of the book): The Arab-Israeli War, by Edgar O'Ballance.

thumbsup

Thank you very much ! Very helpful.

I see he has published many books on the Middle East and Asia.

I will look him up for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of Osprey books about the conflict. I read some of them years ago. Just google "Osprey Israel Independence" or "Osprey Arab Israel" and there are books about the particular conflicts and about the armies and the elite troops.

I'm sorry I just don't remember which books I read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.