United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
If you were voting in the Election of 1860, who do you think YOU would have voted for? This is just for fun, but I'm genuinely curious. Keep in mind that none of the parties actively campaigned for the EXPANSION of the slave trade, so no worries there.

Please remember to keep it in period:) We're having fun, not trying to push modern political viewpoints!
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Abolitionists
11.4% 5
Constitutional Unionists
20.5% 9
Northern Democrats
9.1% 4
Republicans
38.6% 17
Southern Democrats
4.5% 2
Texas Unionists
2.3% 1
None of the above, throw all the rascals out!
13.6% 6
Voters 44
This poll is now closed.   44 answers
Poll created by Sol Invictus
Closes: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 am

Strictly for fun. Who do you think an 1860 version of you would have voted for (assuming you met the narrow criteria for voter eligibility at the time)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sol Invictus wrote:
Strictly for fun. Who do you think an 1860 version of you would have voted for (assuming you met the narrow criteria for voter eligibility at the time)?

Hard to say. I'm pretty sure my land- and slave-owning ancestors in Florida at the time would not have voted for the Republicans in any case...

And my ancestors in England and Canada would have had no say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Not sure I could have read the ballot, as my ancestors spoke German (the southeast PA variety, but still). But assuming they picked up at least a passing aptitude in English, I'd have to assume a vote for the northern democrats. My direct branch of the Delp clan didn't leave the tumult of 1848 Europe just to see chaos erupt in their new home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carr
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sol Invictus wrote:
Who do you think an 1860 version of you would have voted for (assuming you met the narrow criteria for voter eligibility at the time)?

Odds are good I would have met the criteria, as my Great Great Grandfather, Corporal Clark H Carr, voted for Abraham Lincoln. And so I probably would have as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would've voted Republican, but would have been disappointed to see their administration refuse to recognize Southern secession. I'm not sure who I would've voted for in 1864, as on one hand I'd want to punish the Republicans, but would I really want a Little Mac administration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote Republican, which is not a sentence I thought I'd ever write.

In all seriousness-- after all the lousy, not-working compromises and tensions of the last several administrations, I probably would have wholeheartedly embraced the radical platform of the Republicans-- even if their candidate was more mainstream than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've said before, I think I would probably have voted for Bell. However, I also think I would have become a Lincoln supporter fairly early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boots
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a 21st century tourist in the US of the 1860s,I'd vote republican, no contest.

As a teacher of Civil War history, I can acknowledge that someone in my subject position (WASP) in 1860 probably would have voted Know-Nothing (ie, Constitutional Union).

If we're doing this via ancestry, the only ancestor I know about from 1860 was a British sea-captain hauling goods from NSW to Tasmania. He would certainly not have voted in the 1860 election.

Fascinating idea for a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots01 wrote:
As a 21st century tourist in the US of the 1860s,I'd vote republican, no contest.

As a teacher of Civil War history, I can acknowledge that someone in my subject position (WASP) in 1860 probably would have voted Know-Nothing (ie, Constitutional Union).

If we're doing this via ancestry, the only ancestor I know about from 1860 was a British sea-captain hauling goods from NSW to Tasmania. He would certainly not have voted in the 1860 election.

Fascinating idea for a game!

Glad you like my game concept!

To be fair, the Constitutional Unionist party was somewhat different from the Know Nothings in that it no longer included anti-Catholicism as part of the party philosophy. If it did, I'd probably have to avoid voting for 'em as well, being that the European half of the family has always been Roman Catholic or Jewish, depending upon the branch in question.

But yes, from the 21st century perspective, knowing what I know now, I would have to agree with you in that I would have voted Lincoln, based upon the Republican Party as it existed in 1860. Certainly the half of the family that was here in America at the time would have had no vote, being Native American. The other half was busy dealing with Habsburg shenanigans;)

-Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.