Subject: HOLDING MY WATER rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the rulebook for the first time, getting aquinted with the game before I let loose the dogs of war.

Now I can't help but wonder about the water tiles and defenders apparenlty being at a disadvantage on them.
So I would like to know how to understand this.

To me it seems that a defender on a river hex uses the river as a line of defence. Can't make things easier if you have to cross a river first.
But apparently the designer has a different view as he gives attackers a +1.

So, being one who wants to know why, I've been trying to figure out the logic.
Does it mean the defender is on both sides of the waterway and the river hex is meant to be lower than the rest of the countryside?

Same thing with the movement through towns.
Towns don't influence the movement of a unit.
Now I for one would think, having to manouvre between the buildings, or what's left of them, would slow things down a bit.

I'm probably over thinking things, but as seeing the logic of this will enhance my enjoyment of the game, I figured I'd just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logical questions. Terrain is pretty abstract in this game. Think of it this way: if you post a unit behind a river hex (rather than on it), the enemy has to scramble down the opposite bank, cross the river, and scramble up your side of the riverbank to reach you. Your unit has a clear field of fire all that time.

As for towns, the system isn't granular enough to model movement effects. Units can easily pass through them and reform during the large amount of time turns represent. Plus the majority of the "towns" in this era were little more than hamlets.

But you can always house-rule whatever makes sense to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris,

So in fact, when a unit is on a waterway hex, it actually means they are IN the river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. And probably "up a creek", as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.