Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
I'm talking about Key to the Kingdom (thanks to James Rolfe for showing us a review)

and

Solarquest....Well I should say that Solarquest fell into my radar when I saw it at a friends out in mid-2000s but that game was so 90's that it had to be out of print.

The only way for me to get these games if I shop on eBay. But I can't trust eBay. Even my uncle says so, he thinks that the sellers are crooks.

Does anyone feel the same way about a game that they discovered on here that is no longer available to buy in stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
The only way for me to get these games if I shop on eBay. But I can't trust eBay. Even my uncle says so, he thinks that the sellers are crooks.

I've only had good experiences on eBay and there's also BGG from which you can buy as well. In fact, a lot of those "crooks" are trusted members of BGG.

There are a few copies of Key to the Kingdom available on BGG right now: http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=listallforsal...

As is Solarquest:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=listforsale&g...

There's also another thread:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/774635/discontinued-games-yo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's really no reason to not buy things on ebay. They side with the buyers pretty harcore.

And if a listing or seller looks sketchy, nothing forces you to bid! (I save a ton sometimes seeking those listings out!)

It might be more complicated shipping them overseas, but it shouldn't be a huge issues.

I've had way more issues with BGG sellers than ebay ones. (though my sample size for the former is tiny, so I may just be unlucky.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And who is your uncle? The King of eBay? Some kind of Lizard Wizard?

Millions of people buy millions of items from eBay every day, and most never have any problems. I myself have bought probably 100 items from eBay over the past 15 years, and have sold a few as well. Never had a serious problem that could not be resolved with the other party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I was wondering the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schallert
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
There's really no reason to not buy things on ebay. They side with the buyers pretty harcore.

Agreed. I tried to sell a camera on E-bay about three or four times, and each time a bidder swooped in at the last minute and bid much more than anyone else, then cancelled their bid after the auction was over and I was left with nothing.

Very frustrating experience, but it shows just how far over backwards e-bay will bend for a buyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are certainly a small number of people who get ripped off on ebay, but the vast majority of transactions (millions of em every day!) are all on the up and up. If it were otherwise, people wouldn't continue spending money there like they do. I know it all seems very intimidating, and that's good because the important thing is to be cautious and to take it slowly. But it is worth it.

I was always so paranoid about online transactions, but my brother helped me set up ebay and amazon accounts, and now they're so darn convenient. I've been able to buy books, games, and other odds and ends online that I would never have had the opportunity to find locally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes you feel better, Key to the Kingdom is not very fun at all. I had an all right time playing it as a kid, and was pretty excited when I found a copy at a secondhand shop. Needless to say it didn't age well. The components and the board was still neat, but the gameplay is riddled with luck and dreadfully boring. You are rolling for movement, rolling to cross areas, rolling to defeat monsters, only to be looking for treasure which is all secret anyways. If you luck out and find the key to the kingdom which is by complete chance, then you are rolling to to try and win while everyone is trying to stop you. This brings the game to a halt, and it is long enough already It's just a bunch of die rolling on a pretty board. Although, you may take what I say with a grain of salt because I've never liked fantasy themes and "grown up" games like Talisman are of no interest to me either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:
If it makes you feel better, Key to the Kingdom is not very fun at all. ... You are rolling for movement, rolling to cross areas, rolling to defeat monsters, only to be looking for treasure which is all secret anyways. If you luck out and find the key to the kingdom which is by complete chance, then you are rolling to to try and win while everyone is trying to stop you. This brings the game to a halt, and it is long enough already ...

Hmm. Sounds like Dungeon Run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:
... a bunch of die rolling on a pretty board...

Sounds great! I'm inlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
dedbob wrote:

Millions of people buy millions of items from eBay every day, and most never have any problems. I myself have bought probably 100 items from eBay over the past 15 years, and have sold a few as well. Never had a serious problem that could not be resolved with the other party.

Uh yeah, He is. so what are you going to do about it? yuk

And according to your comment " I myself have bought probably 100 items from eBay over the past 15 years...Never had a serious problem" I find it hard to believe.

you probably had one time a situation that somebody ripped you off. There's no way someone can manage to by over 100 items in the past 15 years....so I'm closing this thread by saying STFU

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
And according to your comment " I myself have bought probably 100 items from eBay over the past 15 years...Never had a serious problem" I find it hard to believe.

you probably had one time a situation that somebody ripped you off. There's no way someone can manage to by over 100 items in the past 15 years....so I'm closing this thread by saying STFU

Good. This thread didn't deserve the light of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:

Uh yeah, He is. so what are you going to do about it? yuk

Seriously now? I've had over 100 ebay transactions with nothing bad ever having happened in any of mine. Why the hostility? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have purchased over 300 items on ebay in the last 12 years and in that time we've left 3 negative reviews and 2 neutrals. Though, all the negatives/neutrals were at least 8 years old and were for minor things that now a days would all be worked out. So I would say over 300 items over 12 years without a serious problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Don't see what it matters.

EVERY game (as of yesterday - wasn't the case before)
that I've really wanted turns up available either through
here, ebay, or CSW eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought around 175 items with no serious issues over the years.

It's not hard or rare to have a smooth experience, at least as a buyer - I haven't sold much if anything. Personally, I avoid bidding on items from sellers with poor feedback. If you don't both to look (it's only a click away) then you're assuming some risk.

Worst I can recall experiencing is a slow shipper and one question that wasn't answered quickly enough so I had to bid without knowing the answer. Turns out the answer was the less favorable one but it wasn't a big deal - if it was I'd have skipped bidding. Slight disappointment, that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to give you my copy of Solarquest, if you were willing to pay for the shipping. The shipping to Israel would be in the neighborhood of $61, though, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

you probably had one time a situation that somebody ripped you off. There's no way someone can manage to by over 100 items in the past 15 years....

I would love to ask what your reasoning is here.

Yes, you're right.. I admit it. I have actually been ripped off numerous times on eBay over the years. However, whenever someone asks about eBay, I always lie and pretend like I've never had anything but good experiences, because I want to trick more hapless victims into using eBay. Deep down I really hate eBay so I'm.. sending more business their way, ensuring they stay in business and make even more money..?

Stupid.

Quote:
so I'm closing this thread by saying STFU

Nobody can close a thread except for a moderator. Sorry to burst your bubble there sweet cheeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had over 600 transactions with them since 1999, of which only 3 turned out poor. In no instance was I ever out-of-pocket any money after EBay "investigated."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
why does i sense some form of repeating behavioral pattern with the threads by this OP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.