Popular Tags: [View All]
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks awfully suspiciously similar to Trade Fleet. An indie game published half a year ago with same theme and branding (different specific card art style though).

CON - Theme is quite similar to this, enough to look like a blatant copy.
PRO - Fleet does have a more polished looking presentation.

I'm mixed on my feelings about this. I see pros and cons (only the obvious ones stated above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got to be kidding me. Blatant copy?

Other than the font on the word "Fleet", absolutely NOTHING is the same. They even have a video of how to play this other game on that link you posted. It's not even remotely the same, other than that it's a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the art (somewhat) I'm not seeing any similarities either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the fact that both are card-based games and have Fleet in the title, I see no resemblance between the two. Having watched the videos, Trade Fleet is nothing more than a simple goods based game of Rummy....collect multiple matching goods cards for points.

Not even close to being similar. Quoting a phrase that the game reviewer used no less than a zillion times..... that 'pretty much' sums it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the art isn't similar. The game on gamecrafter uses really bad photos slapped on the cards. This game looks insanely well put together and the gameplay is completely different.

Even the theme isn't the same. This is about modern fishing in Alaska, that game is a period piece about colonization.

I don't want to speculate on motive for linking to that page, but I have some thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MooseyFate wrote:
This looks awfully suspiciously similar to Trade Fleet. An indie game published half a year ago with same theme and branding (different specific card art style though).

CON - Theme is quite similar to this, enough to look like a blatant copy.
PRO - Fleet does have a more polished looking presentation.

I'm mixed on my feelings about this. I see pros and cons (only the obvious ones stated above).

Hmm, I think you may be onto something. This game also shares the same theme as Trade Fleet Piratey

This whole industry seems rife with such theme copying shenanigans as can be seen here: Dungeons! and more dungeons!

That's it! Pitchforks and firebrands ready lets go!

[PS I have actually backed Fleet and am very much looking forward to playing it. Any pitchfork/firebrand wielding is purely for dramatic effect and is is no way indicative of any actual intentions to storm castles along with a following angry mob...]

edited for silly typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the responses. To quickly speak to m f's point, Fleet is not like Trade Fleet gameplay wise. And if you glance at the diary you will see the timeline if that helps you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. To quickly speak to m f's point, Fleet is not like Trade Fleet gameplay wise. And if you glance at the diary you will see the timeline if that helps you.

I know the guy had some concerns but you dont have to call him a MF!

PS: Game looks great. Honestly can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

You handled that with a bit more civility than I probably would have mustered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
riddlen wrote:

You handled that with a bit more civility than I probably would have mustered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Louie
Canada
flag msg tools
Lol, two of the 5 star reviews for that game are from the designer and graphics artist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.