United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
So the good news is I've managed to create two new groups of rabid Cosmic players—nephew, sons, girlfriends & younger son's RPG group—the bad news is they're no longer taking any of my crap. After the few first games where I groin-kicked my way to shocking solo wins or lead "Coalitions of the Handsome" to group-victories, it's been a really, really long time since I got to pop champagne in my flagship and stand naked in front of the viewscreen, bathed in the light of conquered worlds as I chuckle and sip.

They've learned too well—from the classic "negotiate backstab" ("Let's talk about this," then, "Hey, why does your ambassador have a gu—" BOOM! Shot in the neck-balls.) and the "double negotiate backstab-backstab" where both ambassadors are hulking ex-special forces dudes who end up killing each other in the bathroom—among other dirty tricks that were hilarious the first time I did them. But now I'm picked on and picked over and the only time anyone even half-listens to me is when I have the floor of the Galactic Senate while trying to establish Districts 10, 11 & 12 on some weird-smelling planet.

So last night I'm the Vacuum, and I have my flare, and I'm thinking finally. I declare that all who stand against me shall suffer horribly and lo and behold someone calls my not-bluff and sends some of my ships to the warp... and I strip out their colonies. I do this several times, knocking the just-about-to-win leaders out of contention. Again. And again. Then I pull a mistimed double-cross and put my precious win at the mercy of the next two players. A Coalition of the Handsome is proposed and I watch my son's eyes flicker past me—he considers it, so briefly—and then invites everyone but me. After that it's all champagne and nakedness and weird high-fives while my people make bombs in slums.

In hindsight I realize I hurt too many too soon; what was required of such power was to make an early alliance with a weaker player, then nut-kick everyone else like hell, and then use the ally as reaction mass to sling myself over the finish line. Not to piss off everyone and then act like nothing happened when it came time for the win. Sociopaths, it turns out, really do finish last. So I think I need to detune my rep, play the patsy for a couple games, and then tighten up my timing so I don't end up that one beat short of the win.

They're smart, and on to me, so it's no longer about orbital Gatling guns the size of the Chrysler Building—now it's the poison needle in the back of the neck on the third hug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
neck-balls

What the hell are neck-balls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
HiveGod wrote:
neck-balls

I know, right? Any creature hideous enough to have them is just asking to get shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
HiveGod wrote:
neck-balls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious. There were so many references to testicular trauma that I thought I was reading about the latest episode of America's Funniest Home Videos. In a strange sort of way, it's a wonderful thing in Cosmic when the people you have taught the game to start kicking you in the....well, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
In hindsight I realize I hurt too many too soon

Or, didn't hurt them badly enough. It is a worthy goal to inspire seething rage in each of your opponents, but prudence demands seething impotent rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate this Thread of the Week!

Neck-balls, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Rothrock
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
GM For Life!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
They're smart, and on to me, so it's no longer about orbital Gatling guns the size of the Chrysler Building—now it's the poison needle in the back of the neck on the third hug.

Noted. OH SO noted.

Sincerely,
The Thursday Night Academy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Illie
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you! You had me at "stand naked in front of the viewscreen"!

Take my GG already! Oh. I don't have any. Mind if I strip down and share some of the screenglow? I'll stand out of eye(ball)shot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a normal game of Cosmic Encounter to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
grafzepp wrote:
HiveGod wrote:
They're smart, and on to me, so it's no longer about orbital Gatling guns the size of the Chrysler Building--now it's the poison needle in the back of the neck on the third hug.
Noted. OH SO noted.

Sincerely,
The Thursday Night Academy
also it's a time delay poison that you won't feel until an hour or so afterwards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wish you were the author of every session report ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.