Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been discussed before, but as an aspiring game guy I am having trouble figuring out who to ask for certain jobs.

The artists does all the pretty pictures for my cards.

The Graphic Designer does the the layout of my cards where I can then put the pretty pictures my artist did on the card.

So far so good.

But what about my board? It has some pretty pictures on it too but the layout of various things seems to be a graphic design area.

How does everyone else handle this? Do you get the basic art for the board and give intrigue GD to stretch and mold to fit the board?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty much the way it goes but obviously there is a lot of crossover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lestatb15 wrote:
But what about my board? It has some pretty pictures on it too but the layout of various things seems to be a graphic design area.

It's really no different than the cards. The artist does the art, the graphic designer takes the art and incorporates it into the design as a whole. If the art is to play a part in the functionality of the board (Stone Age, for example), it's probably a good idea for everyone involved (i.e. game designer, artist, and graphic designer) to communicate before the artist starts on the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yep.

On a production scale, you always want a graphics guy to touch the project last so you know you'll be getting correct colors, bleed, readability, scaling, etc.

On a very abstract level:

artists make your assets.
graphic designers assemble your assets, often while adding functional art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent. This clarified a lot of info.

Thanks BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
lestatb15 wrote:
Excellent. This clarified a lot of info.

Thanks BGG

It's a good idea to have them in contact with each other. In an ad agency, A good GD is responsible for directing the artist to get art that fits the design. A good artist will position things to enhance the design and focus attention on the stats and information.
Ever seen a book cover painting? it has holes where the title and author go. The art plays around the info and doesn't overpower the purpose. It's a symbiotic relationship between the two and a lot of fun to collaborate on.

Hopefully you find some good team players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to chime in... Is it so unusual that the artist is also the graphic designer for a project? Seeing people make this division a lot in threads I checked. Maybe it is seen as a non proper thing to do or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OneManCrafts wrote:
Sorry to chime in... Is it so unusual that the artist is also the graphic designer for a project? Seeing people make this division a lot in threads I checked. Maybe it is seen as a non proper thing to do or something?

There's nothing forbidding the artist from also doing the layout. I haven't seen many games that designate who did what specific job beyond the creator and the artist. Majority of board games are a 2-3 man operation on the design side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OneManCrafts wrote:

People have made the distinction a lot recently because some have voiced their surprise or confusion to find an artist who does either illustration or graphic design but not both. I specialize in both of those areas, advertise accordingly, and prefer working with both at the same time. However, I don't mess with web design, which many would assume is standard for a graphic designer in this day and age. So, explore an artist's portfolio and make sure that you know their limitations as well as their strengths. It's fine to separate the two disciplines in question if one feels they will get better quality/service/(fill in the blank)... the thing to avoid is an artist who "has some really cool fonts" or a designer who could "whip up a sketch" for some extra cash (hopefully, you get my drift).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for replying to this. Actually, I was asking as I'm an artist willing to do both. I work at a company doing all its print and web design,(indeed, I do 80% of its SEO as well) but also worked as an illustrator for many years. Anyway, one thing is designing to make brochures and brand image work, or web portals stuff, and a different beast is designing for board games, I suppose. (my closest experience to this is video game UI making)

Am thinking of building a small, current new portfolio, and was in doubt about offering "the whole pack", provided I'd be totally following game designer's advices (zero clue on board games) , or just illustration. Maybe is an advantage to know one person takes care of all, maybe not.. Thank you for the advice. I'm mostly clueless on the habits around here about the matter, but that gives me some idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not unusual at all to be both artist and designer. In fact, I am one too. A LOT of artists go the graphic design route, because darn it, it's a way to make money and get your art out there sometimes!

In my graphic design classes, I was the ONLY one that could draw. I was stunned. In this digital age, we are no longer required to do marker comps and all, so it's no longer a given that you'd do both. If you can find a one-stop-shop, great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is whether the artist can do graphic design or the graphic designer can do art. I draw and paint plus do graphics but even I know my artistic limits, there are others out there with more talent than I. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses so working together with a good group is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hartman K.
United States
merrill
Wisconsin (WI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
The trick is whether the artist can do graphic design or the graphic designer can do art. I draw and paint plus do graphics but even I know my artistic limits, there are others out there with more talent than I. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses so working together with a good group is important.

Very good observation. This is a good thing to keep in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heh, about that... Has anyone else here before, in the artists and/or graphic designers land, actually teamed up for some gig? I mean not being coldly picked by the game designer (this role in video games is usually the programmer, less confusion with terms there, lol), neither doing a kind of oppressive 60's like comic sindycate, nor abusive studio, lol, but some collaboration (with the right money gain involved, obviously)
And I don't mean doing that exclusively, of course I guess if any did that would be meanwhile doing their individual projects as well. (I hate syndicates and protectionism/too many rules and all that...)

Lol, I'm the man with all the questions here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Francisco
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To illustrate a little the difference... I'm a Graphic Designer.

WHAT I DO:

THEN THE ILLUSTRATOR DOES:

AND THEN I DO:

WHAT I DO:

Hope this help clarify even more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Raby
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is pretty awesome. As an aside, what game is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess it's Mehinaku.

I'd like to add that a Graphic Designer and an Illustrator go hand in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, Luis, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Francisco
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lestatb15 wrote:
That is pretty awesome. As an aside, what game is that?

adamw wrote:
I'd guess it's Mehinaku.

I'd like to add that a Graphic Designer and an Illustrator go hand in hand.

OneManCrafts wrote:
Great post, Luis, thank you.

Billy, Adam is right. Its Mehinaku and we do work together with illustrators.

Thanks OneManCrafts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladios Sopp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great explanation, Luis Francisco.

How is working with illustrators usually handled? Is there a lot of contact or is correspondence only sent after a few days/weeks depending on project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Catalán
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luis Francisco wrote:
To illustrate a little the difference... I'm a Graphic Designer.

WHAT I DO:

AND THEN I DO:

WHAT I DO:

Hope this help clarify even more

Absolutly true
Antonio Catalán

PS:Here a Grafic designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.