Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Sheets
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught two people how to play this game on Friday. They both enjoyed it and it was a close game. The only problem we had was with the colors of the counters. The designs on the back of the counters were different enough that no one moved the wrong counters, but the wrong VP counter was moved quite a few times. Why did you choose these colors?

I will admit that none of use are 18 anymore and the problem may be our eyesight and lighting conditions, but we do not have this much difficulty with other games, with more traditional color choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My initial reaction was the same, but I found that for me at least, it wasn't a problem in play. The colors ARE quite evocative of the game's setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sheets
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller

I think you are right about why these colors were chosen. They do help sell the game's theme.

I have been asked about the color selection by, most of, the people that I have taught this game. So I decided to ask for an official answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why did you choose these colors?

Leland Myrick, the graphic artist for Conquest of Paradise, would have to answer that one. He's got an account here on BGG, so maybe he'll chime in. When he started working on the project, I asked him to come up with a "tropical" color scheme, much different from your typical war game. And I must say, he succeeded brilliantly at it! The colors are really evocative of swaying palm trees and tropical breezes.

But when he e-mailed me files of the counters, I did express concern about the contrast between the colors. Specifically, I said that the symbols on the back of the green counters were easy to see, but not so much for the other three colors. Leland assured me that the contrast would be clear in the final printed counters. Well, they turned out looking much like the computer files that I looked at, and don't have near enough contrast.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sheets
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies. This has not been a major problem. No one has moved someone else's counters on the map. The few times the VP counters were in the wrong place they were quickly corrected.

Now when someone asks me about the colors used I can say that the game designer wanted a tropical color scheme. I think it does help sell the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.