Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been tossing around the idea of renaming our Kaiju City: Mankind vs. Monsters game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/118311/kaiju-city

Some people we have talked to were turned off by the use of the word Kaiju since other than hardcore genre fans it is not a common term in North America or Europe (the largest board game markets).

What do you guys think?

Poll
Should we keep the name?
Yes
No
      45 answers
Poll created by levimote

If you think we should change it, please give your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Carcassonne without knowing what it means. I bought Naruto: Gekido Ninja Taisen 3 without knowing a lick of Japanese. (Really fun 3D fighting game for the Gamecube, by the way.) I don't think the name is a turn-off, personally. And the theme is freakin' awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Even though I'm not a "hardcore" fan of the genre, but I had at some point heard the term. When I saw the name of this game, before I even clicked through, I was already excited. If people don't know the word, they will learn it from the game, so don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a great name. Try searching for Eclipse on-line or on eBay. Not only is it a common name, but there is also a movie about sparkly vampires by the name. With a board game tie-in. Yuck.

Kaiju City is distinctive and people and call it KCMM if they want to shorten it.

I hate to see someone dumb down a name to appease English only speakers. It won't kill people to learn to pronounce something a little difficult and many people will Google something like Kaiju just to see it means. I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
new to games but have been researching games and titles for a while.

The name Kaiju City is cool, but if there are players (outside of this site) who maybe have never heard of the genre(like myself), then you would potentially have an audience who did not know what to expect.

I would say 95% of us here are game geeks, thus the name of the site.

I, being in the slim remaining 5%(miscellaneous geeks), automatically gravitate toward the " monsters vs." title because its more marketable. IMO

BGG's opinions sometimes reflect one specific type of consumer. (the geek gamer)

the little girls, or the Moms & Dads, or the collectors who dont know a particular genre too well, but will buy "as seen on T.V." in a heartbeat, should always be considered , though they might not have as a sophisticated POV as some of us here....

I do agree with these posts though.
yes Americans do want everything in a pretty package and "dumbed down" if you will, but that's what makes our country great. ANYBODY can slap a label on something and market to the masses, if they have a catchy jingle or what have you.

lets not hate on the fact that in America, with the right commercial, title, or packaging, one can get people to the product who dont even know what it is.

the VS. title says more about what I'm getting. (since I dont know "kaiju" as a genre)

hope I dont get too much hate mail. blush

you wanted both sides of the spectrum right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heres some basics to take into consideration.

Your target audience. Giant Monster fans, are going to know the term.
The casual gamer unaware of the term but maybee liking giant monsters a little will see the box art *which had sure as heck better have giant monsters flattening a city* and instantly make the connection.

Everyone else is irrelevant to a sale. They either dont like giant monsters and so whatver you named it wont matter, or they see the box art and are curious and buy it.

Look at the sales of Agricola and Carcassone. Think anyone had a clue what those names meant outside the native countries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiju sounds Japanese, so that's a big tip-off to potential customers. Doesn't hurt that it read like the word kanji! Also, the subtitle "Mankind vs. Monsters" works fine as an English "subtitle".

Your post reminds me of a comment by one of the first anime distributors in America. The company spokesman commented that they had the choice of distributing either a "guy in a robot suit" anime, or a "cute alien space girl" one. Guess what they did, how much they regretted it, and how well they did after making that decision?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could call it Monsters All Destroy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least when you type in "Kaiju City" into the board game search here, you don't get 150 returns before finally scrolling down to your game. What kind of idiots would name their game something so generic that people can't even find it in the board game search? ...... ninja

I like your name. It's got swagger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres been at least 1 contest to get more game entries for names little used...

bno70_1 wrote:
At least when you type in "Kaiju City" into the board game search here, you don't get 150 returns before finally scrolling down to your game. What kind of idiots would name their game something so generic that people can't even find it in the board game search? ...... :ninja:

I like your name. It's got swagger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely keep it. Anyone who's a fan of giant monsters probably knows the term and if they don't they should learn it. Nothing wrong with learning a new word, and people who prefer to stay ignorant don't get into boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who knows absolutely nothing about the context and has never heard the name before:

I'd keep Kaiju City. Sounds distinctive, memorable. I don't know what to expect out of the boardgame from the title, but since when do I need to know what to expect out of the title alone? That's what reading the premise and the reviews are for. I've bought ~100 games and never once based on title alone.

Mankind vs. Monsters justs sounds kind of generic and makes me lump it with Monsters Menace America. Which for all I know you'd want people to do, but it just sounds a bit generic and blah to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and for reffrence...

WOTC announced Kaijudo... (Didgimon meets Gamera... The CCG.) Bemusingly, with a non-amime animated series to back it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We kept the name and we're starting our crowdfunding campaign June 26th. Here's a designer's intro video we recorded today.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/17826/kaiju-city/kaiju-ci...

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobo The Original
Canada
flag msg tools
...mixed feelings...
I agree that Kaiju City is the superior title, but it does invoke a certain yearning to see a certain radioactive reptile that would be considered the banner man of the genre(as well as his friends and foes).
Of course, given that Toho absolutely gauges anyone that tries to get rights to his name, you would need to put out several mortgages just to have his likeness... Oh well...
Still... One can dream. The King of The Monsters would have been a good title in a perfect world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are up on KS now!! Please feel free to begin pledging and help us bring this game to production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.