Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » General

Subject: New to the game and have a question about the Westeros stuff... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game once or twice over a year and a half ago at a friends house, and loved it. Never got around to getting my own copy because he had it, though something else always seemed to hit the table. Recently I learned that it was out of print and way expensive to pick up, but lady luck showed her face and a few weeks ago I was able to pick up an opened but unused copy of the base set for $35 at a new flgs.

Now w/ Battle of Westeros out, which I understand is only loosely based off of Battle Lore, being more "real world" and Battle Lore being the "magic world" line. I am left to ask, has a dedicated fan worked out a conversion so that we can pick up some of these expansions and use them in our Battle Lore environment. (Particularly interested in Tribes of the Vale, love them savage barbarian folk.)

Thanks for your time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
UncleDragon wrote:
I played this game once or twice over a year and a half ago at a friends house, and loved it. Never got around to getting my own copy because he had it, though something else always seemed to hit the table. Recently I learned that it was out of print and way expensive to pick up, but lady luck showed her face and a few weeks ago I was able to pick up an opened but unused copy of the base set for $35 at a new flgs.

Now w/ Battle of Westeros out, which I understand is only loosely based off of Battle Lore, being more "real world" and Battle Lore being the "magic world" line. I am left to ask, has a dedicated fan worked out a conversion so that we can pick up some of these expansions and use them in our Battle Lore environment. (Particularly interested in Tribes of the Vale, love them savage barbarian folk.)

Thanks for your time.

The games share the name. That is all. They are two separate products and there is no official support to cross them over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand there is no "official" support. I'm curious if a player w/ a lot of experience w/ the game has/or plans to do a player conversion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have time for a lengthy answer nor to post some links (will go looking for them later, if Chris/Elberon doesn't pop in and post them himself ), but several players do have additional units/entire races developed for this game. Some of the Battles of Westeros figures could most likely fill in for those.

I'm still waiting to see if FFG does do anything more, or if they consider the game "completed" with the releases that expand the three existing races for the game, before beginning to dabble myself (or more likely, borrow liberally from what other players have come up with).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried playing BattleLore with the D8 Westeros dice. I personally thought it was a bit too much of an alteration.

But much of the information in the Westeros rules can be adapted. For example, this attribute from Tribes of the Vale:

"Intimidate – When attacking a target of equal or lower rank, the target loses Stalwart."

Stalwart is like support in BattleLore:

"Stalwart units can ignore the first Morale result (flag) rolled against them if they choose.

Stalwart units can also counterattack if they choose (see page 21).

Unlike other keywords, any unit can gain the Stalwart keyword under the right conditions. If a defending unit is adjacent to two friendly units, the defending unit automatically gains the stalwart keyword until that unit is no longer adjacent to two friendly units."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles of Westeros is no more "real world" than Battlelore. It is based on the purely fantasy works of George R.R. Martin in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, which started with the now incredibly popular "A Game of Thrones" which has been the theme of now several popular board games and CCGs. The rules are very similar, as they are based on the same rules Richard Borg devised for Battle Cry, Commands & Colors, and Memoir 44. cool

I'm not sure why you would want to invest in Westeros stuff if you aren't already a fan of the books they are themed on. I started buying into it but am dismayed the series doesn't seem to be inclusive of the entire story line, and focuses more on House Lannister and House Stark, while the other great houses are so far left unrepresented. Perhaps it was thought that as a 2-player game, only two houses should be the main figures in the game. This does not fare well with the theme of the books, and would be a major factor in my lack of continued purchases of upcoming expansions.

I can't share your hopes of using Westeros figures in the Battlelore field. That doesn't make any sense to me. gulp

Edit: I now realize you meant something else by "real world".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
several players do have additional units/entire races developed for this game. Some of the Battles of Westeros figures could most likely fill in for those


Would love those links, sounds like a lot of fun.

kentreuber wrote:
We've tried playing BattleLore with the D8 Westeros dice. I personally thought it was a bit too much of an alteration.

But much of the information in the Westeros rules can be adapted. For example, this attribute from Tribes of the Vale:


Thanks for this post, I wondered about the D8's but was content to stick w/ the D6's. I liked your suggested adaption, it's very much on the lines of what I'm looking for.

tmredden wrote:
I can't share your hopes of using Westeros figures in the Battlelore field. That doesn't make any sense to me.

I haven't read the books, (heard amazing things though), and I haven't watched the series, I just like variety. I look at the options and I see Dwarfs, Goblins, Creatures, and Dragons to expand on the base set, that's all well and good, but I have a feeling I'm going to want more.

I don't look at the Battle of Westeros expansions as supporting the franchise, to me it's a Barbarian faction that I could bring to the table, with mini's that already support the colored banner system.

It's just more options that sound fun and fit my tastes well.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleDragon wrote:
toddrew wrote:
several players do have additional units/entire races developed for this game. Some of the Battles of Westeros figures could most likely fill in for those


Would love those links, sounds like a lot of fun.


While there is plenty more in the files section here on bgg for BattleLore, here's a link to Chris' stuff that I was thinking of.

Daniel, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the game right now, but there is a rather large variety of human units available officially, and (for my tastes anyway) using the Medieval Lore rules gives a satisfactory "historical" game - certainly on par with Commands & Colors: Ancients. I would love for there to be more historical scenarios, but the ones included in 100 Years' War and Scottish Wars are a good sampling of what the game can be. There are several fan-made historical scenarios to draw upon as well.

I don't know if FFG is done producing expansions for this game or not, but a couple of years ago the game's designer, Richard Borg had posted about what the BattleLore he plays contains. Of particular interest to you may be his list of "Human Culture": Barbarian Army, Tribesman, Ice Army, Man'chines, Wolven Migration. Here's a link to that original post. [EDIT]: Which, FFG made clear was not an official statement of their vision of the game nor an indication that any of what was mentioned would be forthcoming. The past three years have borne out that so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.