Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've been debating whether or not to pick this game up. I've read plenty of threads about whether people love or hate this game so I'm not interested in debating that issue. What I am interested in is finding out if this game is any fun with more than 2 players. I've read people say that, although it states 2-10 players, it is really meant for just 2. My gaming group is 3 people on a bad night and 6 people on a good night. As much as I want to try it, if I can't play it with 3+ players, then I won't be picking it up. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really say, but the recent releases have added more multiplayer rules making larger games with more factions and double boards better.

I really want to try a big game with at least 4 players, but no one plays TH where I live but me and the wife.

I know that's not much help, I hope someone will have a better answer for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created two scenarios (fairly easy to do) which pit one player against however many other players. Both are playtested and worked very well. I certainly intend to create more of these as my gaming group (like yours) numbers between 3 and 6 on any gaming night. If you get hold of the game, I'll send you the scenarios if you are interested.

The scenarios in the gamebook and in the expansion pit one team against another. It's no problem to split the forces in each team between two players (and perhaps even three players per side), though I would say any more than that is totally not feasible really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Paul, I would be interested in seeing those scenarios. We tried one where we played a three-way with small teams drawn from Union and Reich base set, and it wasn't nearly as engaging as any of our head-to-head games. We have never tried a game where two players exercise split command over a full-strength force of five.

By our experience so far, this really is a head-to-head experience at its heart...although we're intrigued by the expansions, and are willing to be proven wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kreider
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
most of my play has been with teams of players, usually giving each person 2-4 characters to run with a side either split by two players or run by a single player.

on the pro side, it is fun to have more people in the mix. on the con side, multiple players, especially newbies, slows down the turns. you also have to consider the impact of elimination, as a single player might get wiped out. surviving team mates can pass them a character or they can try to save enough points to respawn a trooper.

dividing characters evenly doesn't settle naturally given that a side is usually 3 heroes and two troopers. expansions make more possiblities in splitting characters, but regardless most of us want to see a fair start which means trading the starting sides to either 4 or 6 characters for even division among 2-3 players per side.

with the matriarchy and shogunate factions plus the union and reich you can have the full 5 characters per player and either play as allies or have a free of all. never done that myself and it seems like an awful lot of figs on the board, lengthy turns, etc.

I'd suggest giving each player a hero and a trooper as the way to introduce a group to a team game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the insight, guys. It sounds like it's possible to get this to work with more than 2 players but it's not exactly the ideal scenario. And, considering the cost of the game, I think it might be best to pass on this one. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.