United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody! I'm brand new to Dominion (just played my first game with my wife!) and I had a question about the Library card. It says to draw up to 7 cards, and if you get any action cards while drawing you can set them aside, then discard them.

I don't seem to grasp the point behind doing this. You get action cards that you set aside, just to discard?

I'm sure there's a completely logical and simple explanation. Can someone enlighten me as to how this is a beneficial thing?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
Hi everybody! I'm brand new to Dominion (just played my first game with my wife!) and I had a question about the Library card. It says to draw up to 7 cards, and if you get any action cards while drawing you can set them aside, then discard them.

I don't seem to grasp the point behind doing this. You get action cards that you set aside, just to discard?

It's a card that draws non-action cards. Like Gold. Or Silver.

edit: I need to play this card more often. I totally forgot setting aside actions was optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
You're also free to keep Action cards you draw; you aren't required to set them aside. But Library does not provide +1 Action, so Actions drawn with it will often be useless, which makes having the ability to set them aside and draw other cards instead useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have the right to play another action after playing the Library, then you'd rather not draw Action cards into your hand, because they'd just be useless. The Library lets you set them aside and draw something else instead.

If you do have the right to play another action, then you might want to draw them; you have the option to do this.

Compare to Smithy: if you have a 5-card hand, you'll have 7 in hand after playing either Library or Smithy, but with Smithy you have to take whatever 3 cards are next, while Library lets you skip over Actions if you'd be drawing them dead.

(Also if you were hit by Militia, say, then Smithy gets you back only up to 5, while Library gets you to 7 regardless.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:

I'm sure there's a completely logical and simple explanation. Can someone enlighten me as to how this is a beneficial thing?

Thanks!

Library is best used as either your one and only action or as the final action in a chain of actions, it provides not additional actions. At that point having additional action cards in your hand does you no good. By setting them aside you get to draw more cards witch will hopefully be money cards, thus allowing you to purchase the more expensive cards, like that nice province you have been eying.

To clarify the set aside cards are no longer in your hand so you can continue drawing cards (up to 7 in hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You may (or may not!) be missing a key part of the "draw up to 7 cards" instruction. It does not mean that you draw 7 cards, then discard the actions. Instead, it means that you draw cards (one by one), putting them into your hand, until you have 7 cards in your hand. When you draw an action, you may discard (set aside, not discard -- see below) it instead of putting it into your hand. So in other words, if you draw an action, you can toss it so that it doesn't take up space and keep drawing (hoping to get money, usually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhhhhh. I see. I didn't grasp that after you set aside the action cards, you could then keep drawing up to 7.

Makes perfect sense now, thanks everybody!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another important part about the set aside is that they are set aside instead of being discarded because of the rule that if you ever need a card from your deck and it is empty, you shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck. If the Action cards were discarded instead of being set aside, you could end up in an endless loop where you continually set aside cards instead of ending up with an empty discard pile and deck, which triggers you to move on with the next part of the action.

I hope that made sense - I'm sure someone could describe what I mean a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luce wrote:
Another important part about the set aside is that they are set aside instead of being discarded because of the rule that if you ever need a card from your deck and it is empty, you shuffle your discard pile to form a new deck. If the Action cards were discarded instead of being set aside, you could end up in an endless loop where you continually set aside cards instead of ending up with an empty discard pile and deck, which triggers you to move on with the next part of the action.

I hope that made sense - I'm sure someone could describe what I mean a little better.

That makes perfect sense. I really appreciate the clarification!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Sandmanx82 wrote:

It's a card that draws non-action cards. Like Gold. Or Silver.

In theory. In practice it will draw that for your opponents. You'll get two states and a curse. Everytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senseless wrote:
In theory. In practice it will draw that for your opponents. You'll get two states and a curse. Everytime.

If you're buying Library in a Curse-heavy game, you have only yourself to blame when this happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
senseless wrote:
In theory. In practice it will draw that for your opponents. You'll get two states and a curse Province. Everytime.

If you're buying Library in a Curse Province-heavy game, you have only yourself to blame when this happens.

Same net effect, totally different point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Also, in an action heavy deck this allows you to pair it with a +2 action card (like village) and dig for combo pieces (like Throne Room+Workshop+Gardens... one of my personal favorites!).

I like it as a 1 or 2-of in combo oriented decks and more in big money/province strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.