Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Lademann
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I see Takenoko I really want to play it. I sounds like a perfect game for families and casual gamers. But there is one thing that prevents my gaming buddies from being interesting in the game: the artwork.

Of course, the art is nice, but why have they chosen the kiddy/girly color scheme? Even for my GF the art is too rosy.

I hope the game won't suffer from the Glory to Rome effect (misfitting artwork). Otherwise, I can definitely see it having a chance for 2012 Spiel des Jahres Award.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can't expect everyone to design to fit your group's tastes. In the group I play with, there were a lot of people that were dying to play it because of the cute artwork and figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janis Grunte
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
C'est la vie!
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is one of the main reasons I ordered this game. I think it is fantastic and stands out in the crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is just perfect! Matching for this game!

One game night the wife of a fellow gamer walked in while we were playing this, and instantly asked: "Why don't WE own this?? We do we only have those stupid city building games???"

Honestly: This is no serious game. I mean, come on! It is about a gardener and a Panda in a royal garden, eating bamboo! What design did you expect? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
jancis wrote:
The artwork is one of the main reasons I ordered this game. I think it is fantastic and stands out in the crowd.
As someone who KIckstated Glory's Black Box and purchased Takenoko BECAUSE of the art I can tell you they're exact opposites. I think the other way they're opposites is that Takenoko is probably far too light a game for most gamers but is perfect for playing with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shopping for my next game - something light for the family. I am drawn to this one because it is so unique and the artwork so fun looking. I printed out the .pdf of the rules last night to read, but didn't get to because it printed two pages to one page for some reason and too small to read.

Is this recommended for a group who likes Finca, TTR, Alhambra, Zooloretto, etc.? The artwork made me think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Far too light for most gamers?

Hm.

To me this is a light weight game, to be sure, but still on the "Gamer's game" spectrum. I'd put it in an area with Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and other games of the "Gateway" weight... and I don't hate playing those games despite being a gamer. Puerto Rico it ain't. But it's fun and will actually be played a lot more often than something of that weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's TtR light but not as heavy as Carc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mb
I do like the artwork in general, my only problem is:

I have difficulties to distinguish green from yellow (I hope I remember the troublesome colour combination correctly as I have not played it since Essen 2011).

Excellent family game!

Edit:
Forgot to mention that a second player in my demo group had exactly the same difficulty with not being able to distinguish the colours...

Edit No2: Green and yellow on the cards that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.