Simon Trimby
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had a situation where I managed to destroy the spore chimney and promethium tank location cards shortly after arriving at the Locomotivus location. I also managed to take out all active swarms (it was an unusually lucky round for me). After that, I started drawing event cards that spawned stealers on red and orange; the two locations that weren't there anymore. After three turns of this it was getting a bit silly. Both blip piles were near full, and I had nothing to do but build up support tokens. After drawing a fourth red/orange spawn, I decided that if they weren't coming to me I'd go to them, and advanced to the next location. I couldn't see why lurking blips would keep my terminators locked down so long if they weren't willing to come within shooting range.

This probably doesn't happen often, but what have other people done in these situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened to me, in fact, but it lasted only 2 turns, after which the stealers came bursting in.

I did noting in particular: I just tried to build some support tokens, thanking the Emperor for 2 turns of breath...

IIRC, I lost that game, afterwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Surely you should be grateful for the respite?!

Silly or not - you would just wait it out, and build up for the upcoming battle/next location. You would just place your marines as strategically as possible and support, support, support. Sure you may run out of support but GS should start spawning within 5 turns max on to yellow/green. You have a chance of getting the nasty Psychic Assault or They're Everywhere, cards which could screw things up for you.

Moving to the next location is kind of cheating, unless you only added to the blip piles and didn't discard them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
yorkist4 wrote:
I couldn't see why lurking blips would keep my terminators locked down so long if they weren't willing to come within shooting range.

Blips at furthest range may also represent blips outside the scale of the game 'map'. The were still travelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
When no GS are in the formation, marines may attack a blip pile of their choice. A 4 or a 5 must be rolled to slay one blip.

Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, I faced the exact same situation in my last game. I played it out normally (as per the rules) -and believe me, with 7 cards in each blip pile, and then adding it up to 9 (because of an Event Card) it took quite a while to get to the next location.
But when I finally did, it was as if the Event Deck truly had a purpose behind this madness. I can't remember the name, but with all support tokens claimed for; I drew the one card which transfers them all to 1 Space Marine, and the pressure just went up from there!
But mind you, through a careful mix of planning + devilishly lucky dice rolling devil, I somehow managed to beat the game with all 6 of my Space Marines in tact!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me once in the Locomotivus as well. Only 0-2 stealers spawning each round, and I think I drew both copies of the Event card that adds 2 blips to each pile. My longest game ever... there were only 2 cards left in the Event deck when I finished. Usually I get about halfway through it (with 3 teams).

Like the others here, I stocked up on support and waited patiently for something to shoot at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me alot either in Locomotivus or one of the 1B locations.

I have a similar issue with Librarium Vault. I play that you can't move support tokens directly from marines to the location card, which makes it possible to empty the right blip pile without meeting the victory conditions. Then I sit arround waiting for green spawns to start killing the left pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One easy solution .....don't take shots at the gas tank just for the fun of watching stuff blow up. whistle

I rarely find any breathing space so this would be nice for a turn or two.

dakka...dakka....jam gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
+1 For a similar scenario... I believe between 4 and 6 cards went by without any GS's spawning... Then all hell broke loose, ended up winning with only two Marines left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I wait a little before blowing locations up. I prefer to move quickly than to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.