Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, similar might not be the right word but I already own:
DungeonQuest
Legend of Drizzt
Talisman

Well, not entirely similar but one of my steadier friend with which I play most mondays (2-player games99% of the time) and I both love chaotic luck like un DQ and Talisman, 2 of our favorite "light" games.

Theme wise I love fantasy and sci-fi equally so Wiz-War would suit pretty well in there.

It's not that expensive too but not really sure about the mechanics and most importantly, will we want to play this game often or will it gather dust after a few plays.

Talisman is one of the games I own that see the much playtime. We simply love it. We love that you can start really well and all of a sudden everything goes down the drain, or the opposite.

So...Wiz-War? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time Talisman fan I would have to recommend Wiz-War for sure. It is shorter, more exciting, and VERY creative. It's a must buy in my opinion... Hands down the goto game every time...

If you're still not convinced, read my session reviews here:

[url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/765219/headline-wife-pla...
[/url]
and here:

[url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/767336/four-session-high...
[/url]
More than worth the purchase!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Those games are nothing like WizWar.

WizWar is closer to Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not mean to suggest Wiz-War = Talisman, or DQ, etc. What I am trying to say is that I like those games and I really like Wiz-War too.

I don't really like Magic, so would never compare Wiz-war to that... (even though they both use spells represented by cards...) I like having a board and a "static" (i.e. not customizable) spell deck, as well as a low learning curve (all the "rules/info" is one each card - much like Talisman) - all of which Wiz-War offers.

What really rings true from both Talisman and Wiz-War is what David stated he liked:

Quote:
We love that you can start really well and all of a sudden everything goes down the drain, or the opposite.

Wiz-War has got that in spades - just like Tailsman. There is not really the individual questing nature in Wiz-War, and the focus is strictly PvsP combat - but the random and creating and "anything can happen" aspect is a strength of both games - so I would disagree that Tailsman is NOTHING like Wiz-War, with respect to what David likes about games, they are both very much the same...

For example - my wife was kicking my butt the other night in Wiz-War. She had mutated into the slime, the Big Man, and the Gnome at different times - damaging me and evading my attacks creatively. She had eaten two walls and had high health. So... I managed to play Shared Life which she couldn't counter and all of a sudden the game was leveled (Shared Life adds two players health and divides the total between them). There are just some many possibilities (much like Talisman) for the storyline to run along...

She loves to play for the strategy, and interestingly enough can't get into Talisman due to the length and massive board area (I use all the 3rd edition expansions)... So Wiz-War is actually most of the fun things I like about Talisman concentrated into a 1-2 hour frag fest of magical goodness! Can't ever go wrong with that!

Sure, some will disagree - but that's what makes horseraces! (What fun would it be if we ALL bet on the same horse...)

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I did not mean to suggest Wiz-War = Talisman, or DQ, etc. What I am trying to say is that I like those games and I really like Wiz-War too.

I don't really like Magic, so would never compare Wiz-war to that... (even though they both use spells represented by cards...) I like having a board and a "static" (i.e. not customizable) spell deck, as well as a low learning curve (all the "rules/info" is one each card - much like Talisman) - all of which Wiz-War offers.

What really rings true from both Talisman and Wiz-War is what David stated he liked:

Quote:
We love that you can start really well and all of a sudden everything goes down the drain, or the opposite.

Wiz-War has got that in spades - just like Tailsman. There is not really the individual questing nature in Wiz-War, and the focus is strictly PvsP combat - but the random and creating and "anything can happen" aspect is a strength of both games - so I would disagree that Tailsman is NOTHING like Wiz-War, with respect to what David likes about games, they are both very much the same...

For example - my wife was kicking my butt the other night in Wiz-War. She had mutated into the slime, the Big Man, and the Gnome at different times - damaging me and evading my attacks creatively. She had eaten two walls and had high health. So... I managed to play Shared Life which she couldn't counter and all of a sudden the game was leveled (Shared Life adds two players health and divides the total between them). There are just some many possibilities (much like Talisman) for the storyline to run along...

She loves to play for the strategy, and interestingly enough can't get into Talisman due to the length and massive board area (I use all the 3rd edition expansions)... So Wiz-War is actually most of the fun things I like about Talisman concentrated into a 1-2 hour frag fest of magical goodness! Can't ever go wrong with that!

Sure, some will disagree - but that's what makes horseraces! (What fun would it be if we ALL bet on the same horse...)

Thanks.

Thanks you very much, to you and all posters above!
I might make the plunge and get it but not before I played more DQ though. Got the game at Christmas and only played once...since Talisman is our game of choice since I bought it 2 years ago...

That and Dust Tactics...and Arkham Horror...and Drizzt...and Warhammer Invasion...and well all other games I have lol.

But looks like a sure bet! I can already see a game night "chaos-themed" with DQ and Wiz-War!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought...damn you all!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

Probably a good call. I abhor the DnD board games, Talisman, and Magic but get a kick out of Wiz War. It is very different and although it is very luck driven it feels right and you have a lot more interesting choices than in the DnD game or Talisman (IMHO).

Of course I tend to like Euro's and am very very picky with the AT games so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt for a ATer such as yourself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

Probably a good call. I abhor the DnD board games, Talisman, and Magic but get a kick out of Wiz War. It is very different and although it is very luck driven it feels right and you have a lot more interesting choices than in the DnD game or Talisman (IMHO).

Of course I tend to like Euro's and am very very picky with the AT games so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt for a ATer such as yourself...

Well after reading the rules I can't wait to try it. Looks so chaotic and awesome! I bought it because I like games that play well with only 2 players but also with more, so most of my games see the evening light with 2 to 4 or 5 players too.

The more I play and buy games the more I like having these types in my collection. Great fun that plays under 2 hours.

Well I know another thing that can play under 2 hours but don't think BBG is the place to discuss such a thing surprise

Thanks everyone for the comments and opinions. This community is awesome for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Walker
United States
Seatac
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To throw my 2 cents in. In interviews Richard Garfield mentioned Wiz-War and Cosmic Encounter as the inspirations for his design of Magic:the Gathering. So Magic is more like Wiz-War.

Wiz-War is a good buy. Quite a few of the cards refer to things not represented in the game so FFG will likely pull off some expansions that build further than the older editions, like summoning creatures and transforming them.

I played my copy at a con 8 times within a 24 hour period last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I was wondering about the "or creatures" deal, an upcoming expansion makes sense. I'm not sure if I'd play 8 times in a day, but I played 3 times on Sunday and had a riot every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

I'll second that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.