Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Will there be expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be expansions for Rex or are the race abilities too balanced against each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fantasy flight. Of course there will be expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see smallbox race expansions and new unit or leader types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
gokiburijin wrote:

Then where are the expansions for Middle-Earth Quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm kind of hoping for it and kind of see why that might not happen. On the one hand, I'd like it if not every race was in the game and I like more choice and they already have the flavor set up for more races. On the other hand, the game seems kind of precariously balance between the races right now, so an expansion with more choices might destabilize that balance too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill released two expansions to Dune in the mid 1980s. Neither were considered successful. So, I think we can discount the idea that "The Duel" and "Spice Harvest" will be redone by FFG. Aside from that, your guess is as good as mine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
j0frenzy wrote:
I'm kind of hoping for it and kind of see why that might not happen. On the one hand, I'd like it if not every race was in the game and I like more choice and they already have the flavor set up for more races. On the other hand, the game seems kind of precariously balance between the races right now, so an expansion with more choices might destabilize that balance too much.

Because of the balance, I wouldn't expect an expansion for several years, if ever. With a game this interconnected and with this much history, an expansion is a tricky prospect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, given the canon history of the TI universe, the only other race that we know of to be involved in the sacking of Mecatol City would be the N'orr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a game expansion would bring? new races? most of the races in TI3 appear in the future of this event, maybe some Mentak Coalition or the Claan Saar but they were not revolted that time, maybe some of the Sardakk N'orr or surely the Auxilia Winnu... that would be 2 aditional factions! remember they become appart from the lazzax when they were about to fade away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Muaat could also be represented as an "alternate history" in a potential case where they were able to contact the Emperor a little sooner, and were emancipated.

However, I think if you start adding too many of the TI3 expansion races (and even the "new" TI3 base races), it can really start making the TI3 history a bit fractured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
gokiburijin wrote:

Dungeonquest, android, fury of dracula, middle earth quest, almost all of the silver line games, horus heresy and so forth want you to know that not all internet mimes are true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm also not sure what reigndesign space is missing. Maybe adding a race who gets the influence from recruitment? Maybe someone who can manipulate the influence deck?
Edit: ducking iPhone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
I could see a small box of some stuff from Dune, are hte Duen expansions just glossed over entirely? I'm also not entirely sure what room there is in terms of game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems the game is delicately balanced as-is .... but I'd be open to some mini expansions, such as those that add cards to the strategy deck. But those could be available on their print and play option, however that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Yakich
msg tools
mb
I hope we see an expansion with some more cards, Factions wouldn't be bad, maybe some that were geard toward smaller groups, but I felt like the cards you bid on got old real quick. I would love to see a weapon that just didn't destroy a leader or a defense that didn't just prevent a single weapon... there is a lot of potential, I found the game a lot of fun, just the cards were weak in my opinion. Nothing to really have a bid war over... or to make you feel like you had to bid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I don't think an expansion is guaranteed by any means, and I'm also not sure what I'd want to see added to the game, besides maybe the N'orr. Adding one race and maybe a few strategy cards doesn't seem like enough for an expansion though.

I suppose whether or not they try for one will really depend on how well it sells. I will be highly skeptical of any such expansion if it does appear, though.

There's a lot they can do wrong and not much they can do to improve on the base game. Dune's foray into expansions did a good job of proving that, IMHO. The only expansion material I really like for Dune was the magazine factions, and even those I prefer homebrew versions of. The fact that Rex's timeline doesn't leave much room for new races only makes matters worse for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Rather have do an expansion, I would like to see another classic game revived with the TI3 theme. Maybe they can find a strategic/tactical space game and set it during the Quann Gate Incident. That would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Luisjoey wrote:
What a game expansion would bring? ..............

PLASTIC !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
f-p-p-m wrote:
Luisjoey wrote:

PLASTIC !!

It would have to depend on the plastic. While I usually love gobs of plastic, in this one, unless the pieces could stack up (ala Cosmic Encounter), I think they would be much more hassle than they are worth - moving big stacks around is a relatively major part of the game that couldn't be easily accomplished with plastic, and the board would get very cluttered very quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
f-p-p-m wrote:
Luisjoey wrote:

PLASTIC !!

It would have to depend on the plastic. While I usually love gobs of plastic, in this one, unless the pieces could stack up (ala Cosmic Encounter), I think they would be much more hassle than they are worth - moving big stacks around is a relatively major part of the game that couldn't be easily accomplished with plastic, and the board would get very cluttered very quickly.

Oh yes, we need another board too, this one looks to much like AH and I would love to have a board like the one from DUNE !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there will be any expansions to Rex, but I think it's likely that we'll see other games set in the TI universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
f-p-p-m wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
f-p-p-m wrote:
Luisjoey wrote:

PLASTIC !!

Oh yes, we need another board too, this one looks to much like AH and I would love to have a board like the one from DUNE !

That sounds more like you want a component upgrade than an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding races might upset the balance... for six players.

The expansion I would like to see would be to specifically add races that are balanced for 3, 4, and 5 players, and add modifications to the existing races, if need be, to play better with fewer players.

That would be a sweet expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What book to read for TI3 universe for a complete newbie tying into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
What book to read for TI3 universe for a complete newbie tying into the game?

TI itself comes with a page-long backstory for each race; those are where I would start for a quick overview. If you don't own it, I'm sure its on the files for TI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.