Subject: PG: Solitaire Capability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Morgen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I am thinking of getting PG:EF, as my first intro to PG. I'm looking for a tactical level game that is not ASL. I like the level of online support for the PG system as well as the tons of available scenarios. I have played some Conflict of Heroes, which I also like. I've also played ASL, which I don't like.
How well does PG:EF play in a solitaire mode? What about the rest of the series?
By 1944-45 the German Army suffered from shortages of manpower, fuel, ammunition, food, etc.. IMHO, scenarios should reflect these shortages in their treatment of the 1945-German Army. The 1945 German Army's ratings should not be the same as the 1941 German Army.
Do PG scenarios reflect this?
Dave in Austin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All that you're looking for is there in PG. Because of the nature of "I activate one leader/stack, you activate one leader/stack", the game lends itself very well to solitaire. When playing with Fog of War (recommended for all except the smallest scenarios), there is also the aspect of no knowing when the turns will end.

PG is very much about leadership, and the quantity and quality of German leaders decreases throughout the war. Not really within one individual game, however if you compare leaders in EF, they will not be as good as those in Road to Berlin. And, more importantly, there will be fewer of them. Conversely, the Russians, who have terrible leaders at the beginning of the war (EF), get more and better ones as the war goes on, although never as good as the Germans.

A standard German infantry unit is a 5 firepower reduced to 3 in the early war. This goes up to 6 firepower (better weapons) as the war goes on, however the reduction is to 2 on a step loss to reflect that there are fewer people to fire those guns, so output decreases faster as the unit gets damaged.

Various scenarios account for the ammo/fuel shortage with special rules, mostly along the lines of "Every time a tank moves more than 1/2 its movement allowance, roll 2 dice. On an 11 or 12 it cannot move for the rest of the game" or things to that effect.

The only games I don't think quite as well solitaire are the Pacific ones, because they sometimes have hidden units, and even there, some solitaire hidden unit rules have been published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A reminder EF only covers the years 41-42 , the changes Joshua refers to happen in the other PG game, Road to Berlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have PG:Beyond Normandy and only play it solo. I find it highly suitable to solo play, due to the activation system mentioned above. Also you can get the supplement book, The King's Officers, which gives you a whole operational campaign level to PGBN and other games, similar to the Cassino campaign system. The campaign rules even include a solitaire table to randomize which German battalions get activated and which ones make day or night attacks on any given campaign day. The other big aspect of The King's Officers is its rules for creating leader-characters who carry over and progress from battle to battle -- this adds yet another fascinating dimension to PG, and I highly recommend it for anyone who plays PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, PG is good for solitaire. No cards, no bluffing; just play the best move for each side as best you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.