United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To reiterate the subject and develop it further:
I had a game design tested a few times wherein you earned money through various means: buildings, resources and marketplace, which after the halfway point (50VPs) that player began using the same method to lose all the money; replacing buildings, buying lousy at the marketplace. It had a reach the peak and climb down feel to it.

Well, Last Will does the second half quite well, so I don't think I need to finish that idea fully, because the first half has been done to death.

Anyone else notice "part" of their game design in another, enough to abandon the idea completely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mechanics are at least slightly different and your theme is different enough, I wouldn't let it discourage you.

I got a disheartening text message from one of my playtesters recently that read, "Someone has a game just like yours on kickstarter RIGHT NOW." I looked it up. I felt that while it had some similar ideas, it wasn't the same by a long shot. In fact, rather than seeing it as a direct competitor, I felt it was just another game that expanded the market I was trying to explore, brought more publicity to the genre, and demonstrated that there are other games who feel the niche needs to be expanded. Plus, it seemed like a game I would like. So I gladly backed it.

(The two games that seem most similar to my game in development that I've been seeing posts about on BGG are Gunship! and TactDecks. I suggest taking a look at these as they both seem like solid games that I am looking forward to playing. I backed Gunship! on Kickstarter and I will be purchasing the new revision of TactDecks soon.)

I wouldn't let the similarities discourage you. For one thing, little differences in a game make a big difference -- and yours sound very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I spot paralell design elements now and then. (As opposed to flat out design element theft). Its a pretty common thing and should never stop anyone from forging ahead with their own game.

Just because somethings simmilar, or got out first while you were still in development... doesnt mean its necessarily better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how often I've played a game and thought "Someone should make a sci fi version of this." or "This game needs a bit more X." Occasionally, my friends are I are talking with, "You know what would have been a good game. If the designer of this game had done A instead of B."

Personally, I think even some of the most popular games out there could do with a bit more X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I had an idea for a game about six months ago, and I've been slowly developing it ever since. I started reading this forum about two months ago and noticed someone else is working on a game which, on the surface, seems very similar. I was initially disheartened, but I've since come to the conclusion that the core mechanics and resulting gameplay are different enough that I'm continuing on with development of my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your thread title, I thought you were planning to open your own game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the basic concept. I imagine there could be a lot of interesting player interactions, and consequences in the second half of the game for choices made in the first (eg: Player A purchases a large, prosperous company to quicken his come-up, but then the other players can blow their own money on his companies' hi-end products, slowing his come-down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. No, not a game store, but I knew I would get that comment with the title. I actually think Last Will could come out with an expansion of making the money to use in the end half. I'll keep trying, but the theme is the hard one to re-use. My guy didn't want to leave any money to the greedy heirs, so blowing it all seems best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. No, not a game store, but I knew I would get that comment with the title. I actually think Last Will could come out with an expansion of making the money to use in the end half. I'll keep trying, but the theme is the hard one to re-use. My guy didn't want to leave any money to the greedy heirs, so blowing it all seems best.

If he works for the government he may have to spend it all or see next year's budget reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dre Wamek
United States
ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am designing my first game ever and won't let a similar game stop me. I am not looking to get rich off it and realize I might not be able to ever get it published. But dang it, the experience is too much fun to quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D 4te
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
This topic interested me because the concept seemed fun. I hadnt heard of Last Will or Sutters Mill, but that's what's great about BGG. Someone can always give you information about a game. BTW, whats the name of your game? I am a title fanatic.

OH, and whats CREEEEEEEEPY zombie about this thread is that this JUST happened to me last night.

A person left a link on my thread about a game that came out in 2006 with so many eerie similarities, I was highly discouraged for a split second. I had never heard or seen this game so seeing a good 5 or six subtle things (character names, character costumes, and game graphics)
I had to look at both concepts thoroughly:

After a closer look, I was able to see past the UNCANNY similarities and determined that I was still taking another approach with my concept.

one good thing for me was that the title Im competing with has been discontinued. There seemed to have been a lot of fans so that is good. Now I have even more reason to get my game out there.

And so do you.

you should post more so everyone can point out the differences and similarities...it really helps

My game is called Comic Crisis, my third prototype created in 2000 from a concept I had since years prior.

My necromancer is Capes & Cowls. Clearly coincidental my competition incorporated C's or is there a cohesive conglomerate of comical conspiracy? ninja

makes ya think...

they say great minds think alike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had a name for it, but it was a reverse engineered game in a backwards way, of a design that was called Sherwood Forest, which name had to be nix'd because Czech Games had one called that very recent (mine was about sneaking/overpowering into the archery competition).
Sutter's Mill came out shortly after so I was intrigued by the gameplay, but the lackluster reviews kept me from looking at it further.

It was about buying up the right building at the right time. Some buildings helped you make money in one good, where the same building would be terrible to make money in another good, and with the costs involved, would help you lose money. The market would also change, so you needed to be ready to change your mind on what to sell, and have not put all "eggs in one basket".

Last Will takes the end game part very seriously (and humerously), compared to mine which was simplar to do. Last Will has you buying up homes, and making them worth less over time, and then selling it back for less than it cost you. Last Will does the job much better imo than mine, and since building up a community is done in almost every game, I don't need to pursue that idea either. I'm content in leaving my design behind because Last Will does it very nicely, and I don't want feel another game of the same genre is needed. Also, mine took over 2 hours to play with 4 players, needed major balancing which would require hours and hours that I don't think are needed if I just play Last Will and be happy they got a game that I wanted to design...or the unique half, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.