Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Advice for a game group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any successful game groups out there that use BGG for their group interface? I'm on a few that communicate via email chains, and maybe there is a better way to do it!

Things we'd (or any group I'd imagine), would be looking for:
*Setting up a schedule for who may play what games at a weekly meetup
*Chat about games
*Review of what games were played each week

Any suggestions? Or even better, examples of this working well for a group?

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure a group member will get in touch but you can scan through the registered gaming guilds in the states:
here

This lot look as if they have their meeples in order. Note the good use of the calendar function.

Alameda Board Gamers
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfect, just what I was looking for, thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could look at SNEW (Southern New England Wargamers) for ideas. I'm sure our fearless leader would be happy to answer any questions.

Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Houston groups use MeetUp.com
I love the way they send out reminder texts if you've rsvp'd
and reminder notices twice to rsvp.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
Take a look at the Hypermind BoardGamers. Invitation to stop by and play games, list of the Games of the Month, forum used to coordinate what games are being brought that week, forum used for nominations and voting, plenty of pictures from game sessions and anniversary parties, and a calendar.

Hypermind
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sam Houston wrote:
Our Houston groups use MeetUp.com
I love the way they send out reminder texts if you've rsvp'd
and reminder notices twice to rsvp.

While MeetUp.com is a good way for gamers in larger towns and cities and metropolitian areas to connect, one should not presume it to be ideal or even adequate for all game-group organizers, especially those who live in smaller towns or cities or more rural/less-populated regions of the nation.

If, by using its search-members function, you cannot find anybody on MeetUp.com in your area/region who shares your interest in modern/Euro strategy games, then it would probably be a waste of time and money to sign up to create your own MeetUp group on MeetUp.com.

In such case, posting your Game Days in the Calendars-of-Events sections of the websites and publications of your local newspapers, radio and TV stations is free and will probably be much more productive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Sam Houston wrote:
Our Houston groups use MeetUp.com
I love the way they send out reminder texts if you've rsvp'd
and reminder notices twice to rsvp.

While MeetUp.com is a good way for gamers in larger towns and cities and metropolitian areas to connect, one should not presume it to be ideal or even adequate for all game-group organizers, especially those who live in smaller towns or cities or more rural/less-populated regions of the nation.

If, by using its search-members function, you cannot find anybody on MeetUp.com in your area/region who shares your interest in modern/Euro strategy games, then it would probably be a waste of time and money to sign up to create your own MeetUp group on MeetUp.com.

In such case, posting your Game Days in the Calendars-of-Events sections of the websites and publications of your local newspapers, radio and TV stations is free and will probably be much more productive.


Good ideas, though for now I'm looking more for facilitating communication between an existing group, rather than expanding/starting one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
phacops wrote:
Any suggestions? Or even better, examples of this working well for a group?

We use a BGG guild pretty much exclusively for the Epsom Games Club: Epsom Games Club

There's a calendar that ties in to Google Calendar for events, and new members are emailed automatically (I think( about new events. We start a new forum thread for each event, and discuss on the thread what we are bringing and hoping to play. We then post a Geeklist showing all the games played at each meeting, with a short description of what happened. All these geeklists are collected together in a meta-geeklist, so if you subscribe to that, you are notified of all new "what we've played" Geeklists.

You can also look at games owned by all guild members, see who "wants to play" a given game etc. It works really well for us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We setup a Facebook group. (Kalamazoo Area Boardgamers).

That works really well. We have two admins who serve as gatekeepers to keep spammers out, and anyone can post an event. People also use it to discuss games they're thinking of playing, talk smack after a Game Night, etc.

We started with Meetup, transitioned to Yahoo, then Facebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.